Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[News] The Coronavirus Good News thread

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
I disagree to a certain extent. The mortality rate for flu is, I understand ~0.1-0.2%

We know that only a very small proportion of people with COVID are hospitalised. Yes, we don't know how many, but if it's less than around 20%, then it's directly comparable. And this surely seems to be the case?

The wording in the Tweet is rather misleading in saying that the risk of hospitalised patients dying is 1.5%, implying that 98.5% of people that end up in hospital recover; hence your estimate would be about right. However, reading The BBC article, what it actually says is that 1.5% of hospitalised Covid patients die each day. Still, it is a 4x reduction from 6%, so that is still good news.

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
The wording in the Tweet is rather misleading in saying that the risk of hospitalised patients dying is 1.5%, implying that 98.5% of people that end up in hospital recover; hence your estimate would be about right. However, reading The BBC article, what it actually says is that 1.5% of hospitalised Covid patients die each day. Still, it is a 4x reduction from 6%, so that is still good news.

Ahhhhh! Thank you, sorry I'd not had time to read it all.

Uter

Aug 5, 2008
The land of chocolate

Hmm yes. I think I may have misinterpreted the data. It's possibly giving a misleading picture of how likely you are to die if admitted to hospital with COVID-19. The risk is presumably a lot higher than 1.5% once you take the length of hospital stays into account. Still, the trend is very encouraging.

Last edited:

saulth

May 28, 2020

Indeed.

A few days ago I read a report from Colorado which explained that the overall mortality rate for hospitalised patients had dropped to 10%, compared to 15% in March. In Spain, it was also reported a couple of weeks ago that the rate had dropped from 21% at the peak of infections to something slightly above 5% now. A big improvement.

So it looks like the positive trend is happening everywhere. Let's hope it will be soon 1.5% and less than that overall, and not each day.

Uter

Aug 5, 2008
The land of chocolate
I have plotted COVID-19 hospital admissions vs COVID-19 hospital deaths in England and added a line for proportion of deaths to admissions 5 days prior (to account for the lag between admissions and deaths). Looks like at its peak your chances of death were over 30% but now it's dropped to close to 10%. This appears to be a similar story to other nations.

CovidDeaths_v_Admissions.PNG

Last edited:

golddene

Jul 28, 2012
I have plotted COVID-19 hospital admissions vs COVID-19 hospital deaths in England and added a line for proportion of deaths to admissions 5 days prior (to account for the lag between admissions and deaths). Looks like at its peak your chances of death were over 30% but now it's dropped to close to 10%. This appears to be a similar story to other nations.

View attachment 125380

Yesterdays figures released by the BBC state 1006 new cases but worldometer figures for new infections is stated as 1380 normally these figures correspond, what gives? Not good news sorry but if the higher figure is correct its the highest infection rate since the 14th June ?

Uter

Aug 5, 2008
The land of chocolate
Yesterdays figures released by the BBC state 1006 new cases but worldometer figures for new infections is stated as 1380 normally these figures correspond, what gives? Not good news sorry but if the higher figure is correct its the highest infection rate since the 14th June ?

I don't know. The official government figure is 1006 so I am more inclined to believe that. I have seen a couple of errors in the worldometer figures in the past so it could just be another of those.

The Wizard

Jul 2, 2009
100 deaths down from 128 last Saturday, a lot of backdating today as well. Infections 890 down from 1295 last Saturday.
D1901D63-1926-4F92-862F-5F1BEE884BA9.jpeg

In answer to the new infection number from yesterday, Worldometer use a rolling total number, 1380 new cases were added but 300 of those from yesterday’s number weren’t from that time period they were historical additions. Worldometer numbers are unfortunately unreliable because of this quite a lot of the time, happens for a lot of countries.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Northern Ireland discharges final ICU coronavirus patients

There are currently no coronavirus patients left in Northern Ireland’s intensive care units, the Department of Health (DOH) said Saturday.

There are currently 21 coronavirus patients still in hospital, the DOH said.

According to the latest data, Northern Ireland has recorded only one new case of coronavirus since Friday, while a total of approximately 1,460 patients have recovered and been discharged from hospital after contracting the virus.

A total of at least 549 patients had died from the virus since the pandemic struck, according to the DOH.

golddene

Jul 28, 2012
https://www.timesnownews.com/health/article/oxfords-covid19-vaccine-shows-very-good-results-in-trials-on-track-for-october-release-project-leader/611566

Don’t know if there’s a huge amount of new info in this article but there seems to me to be a growing confidence in the Oxford vaccine working.

Brilliant news if successful and very promising, I honestly thought the chance of anyone developing a vaccine anytime soon or indeed ever was a only a remote possibility so am very happy to be proven wrong. This Good News thread is easily the best of the Covid threads on here. Keep up the good work everyone.

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
Brilliant news if successful and very promising, I honestly thought the chance of anyone developing a vaccine anytime soon or indeed ever was a only a remote possibility so am very happy to be proven wrong. This Good News thread is easily the best of the Covid threads on here. Keep up the good work everyone.

Yes, that it works well in Champanzees and other animals is a huge hope for me. (not that I know anything about this sort of thing)

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
Northern Ireland discharges final ICU coronavirus patients

There are currently no coronavirus patients left in Northern Ireland’s intensive care units, the Department of Health (DOH) said Saturday.

There are currently 21 coronavirus patients still in hospital, the DOH said.

According to the latest data, Northern Ireland has recorded only one new case of coronavirus since Friday, while a total of approximately 1,460 patients have recovered and been discharged from hospital after contracting the virus.

A total of at least 549 patients had died from the virus since the pandemic struck, according to the DOH.

Great news for NI

saulth

May 28, 2020
Some good news from abroad. New York state has reported the lowest daily death toll since late March: 13. Also, only 900 patients remain in hospital. It was 18,825 three months ago.

Similarly, Italy reported yesterday their lowest daily death toll since early March: 8. And for the first time the amount of patients in ICU drops below 100 (97).

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
A bit off-piste, but I like this one...

A Starbucks barista who was publicly shamed by a customer after asking her to wear a face mask has received nearly $80,000 in virtual tips after a Facebook post that criticized him went viral.

Lenin Gutierrez, 24, was working his usual shift at a San Diego Starbucks on a Monday morning when a woman -- who was not wearing a mask -- walked in and attempted to place an order, he told CNN.

Gutierrez asked her if she had a face mask -- but before he was even able to show her company guidelines requiring customers to wear one, the woman flipped him off and "started cursing up a storm," he said.

https://edition.cnn.com/2020/06/28/us/starbucks-barista-mask-amber-lynn-gilles-trnd/index.html

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here