[Football] The Complete And Utter Shyster: So Long, Farewell, Auf Wiedersehen, Goodbye

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Good! Absolutely the opposite of what a referee should be. The old adage is that a referee's approach should be 'If you don't notice me, then I've had good game.' Dean's was always 'If you don't notice me, then what is the point of me being here.' His frequent incompetence is perhaps understandable. His absolute intransigence when obviously in error is symbolic of everything that is wrong with the PGMOL approach.

Absolutely this.

Dreadful referee who completely misunderstood his role. Endlessly desperate to be the centre of attention.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
As a referee I always thought Mike Dean was pretty decent - yes he was quite theatrical and bit of a 'character', but he rarely took any shit and controlled games pretty well I thought. Also never seemed to get swayed by crowds etc. Certainly better than some of the new younger referees (or Lee Mason)

boik

Brilliant.

Means we can promote up another quality ref to the Elite group.

What's that? They're all shite? Oh.

Thought Pawson was absolutely superb in the Forest/Liverpool match last night. We all commented several times how good he was at letting it go when there was no malice intended and the match was much better for it.

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patron
May 8, 2007
Toronto
He's going to end his career with a 90+6 penalty and red card, isn't he?

Lenny Rider

Sep 15, 2010
Will he carry on doing a nice cushy job as a VAR - or is he going to set himself up as a Jasper Carrot look-alike tribute act?

Of course he will end up on VAR duties, the Pro refs in this country are a tighter organisation than the Freemasons 😂

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Tend to agree but the level of incompetence with the PGMOL is unbelievable. Plus, if Dean is considered one of the best of the current crop then the bar is so low that I doubt it would trip me up if I walked over it.

It's the PGMOL's stubborn resistance to admitting any of their referees got it badly wrong, ever, that is at the heart of the problem.

crodonilson

He/Him
Jan 17, 2005
Lyme Regis
Martin Atkinson and Jon Moss also retiring this summer, EPL planning a tribute to the trio.

:nono:

Andre Marriner has been persuaded to do one more season.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports