Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] The club and the Palace game

Taybha

Whalewhine
Oct 8, 2008
Uwantsumorwat
I love the 'bad fan' accusations. As if BHA is a brain washing cult. Well...

I went to the league game and that was enough. I have a lot of work to do, it's a Monday evening and it's on the box. There won't be the atmosphere that there was at the last one.

I also wanting to save an unnecessary 25 quid.

I'll hang my head in shame. Very briefly until I realise that I actually have a life.

Sell one of your batting trophies and meet us in the PA :drink:

Gabbafella

Aug 22, 2012
Unfortunately weekday games are off the cards for me due to work and not getting back to Brighton till late.
Does seem a bit of a shame that it's not a sell out but a school/work day game on the TV is never going to pull a bumper crowd.

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard
Its more black and white than that for the grizzlers.

Those that are going are the superfans BECAUSE ITS PALACE and they're the ones who "GET" the rivalry.
Those that aren't going are lilly-livered yogurt-knitting bobble-hatted plastic JCL's who are terrified of a couple of hoodies and don't like loud bangs.

That's been the narrative for weeks now,and its gotten old, real quick.

I think this has been the narrative pushed out by those who are making all the excuses not to go. I personally have no problem with those who can't go because they're genuinely scared of the Palace fans or can't afford it or whatever, but I really have no idea why there are people who don't WANT to go to a Brighton game, any Brighton game; and I'm sad there are people for whom a game against our rivals is only as meaningful as any other game.

I want to go to every game, but can't afford it and live too far away. I probably wouldn't be going to this match if it was any other team, pretty much, but its Palace and I'm going to make the effort. Haven't bought a ticket yet as still not sure which stand to go in. Although with the number of empty seats I might do the middle of the West Lower for the first half and wander round to the North Stand for the second half when we're attacking that end (or vice versa if they get tricksy at the toss)

el punal

Am I the only one to think the club has deliberately failed to promote this game? After what happened in the league match, I think they want as low a crowd as possible to contain any trouble and avoid the ball-ache of dealing with large numbers of rival supporters. They have alreafy restricted the Palace allocation for this reason (as they did for the league game - despite other clubs coping perfectly well with games against rival teams with full allocations for both sets of fans).

For Premier League clubs, gate receipts only form a tiny fraction of revenue, dwarfed by TV money. The club will also save on stewarding costs, etc. They would have known the attendance would be low given it's Monday night, on TV and the lack of interest in the FA Cup, yet ticket prices are high at £25 and there are only five loyalty points up for grabs. If we had been playing another EPL club, say Burnley or Swansea, tickets would have been £15 and there'd be 15 loyalty points (there has been as many as 20 for home cup games in the past).

I think Paul Barber looked at this fixture and basically didn't fancy it. Wouldn't be surprised if this was done in coordination with the police, who certainly wouldn't have fancied it given their balls ups in the previous game (forgetting such basics as having officers on the Palace turnstiles and then lying about Palace fans having knives and knuckledusters, presumably to cover for their ineptitude). There has also been a distinct lack of marketing around this fixture.

It's massively disappointing that the stadium will only be half full. What message will this send to the players? If the club were at all concerned they would pull their finger out and change the loyalty points allocation. It seems pretty clear they are only interested in the sanitised, family-friendly version of the game and a match against our biggest rivals is too much of a problem for them to be bothered with.

I understand your sentiments but, really, have you only raised these points because we're playing Palace? Had it been another "lesser" Premier League side or one from a lower division would you have been so concerned? So in reply to your post here are a few of my comments :

The only people that are concerned about playing Palace, and make a big thing about it, are us the fans. As for our players it's just another game and probably less so because it's not a league game.

Probably Chris Hughton sees it as an opportunity to play fringe players with the purpose of checking their progress with regard to making the grade to the first team, and, to rest those first teamers after the heavy December schedule.

I'm not sure why you're having a dig at Paul Barber. The club have reduced the price of tickets. What more can they do? How would you know that the club would reduce the prices more had it been other opponents.

The match is on a Monday night, on TV, at probably the worst time of the season. Immediately after Christmas and New Year, and in some cases the first "school night" of the term. Add in the fact that a lot of fans will be short of cash because of the festive period.

Then there will be travel problems to and from the match with the train strike (if it's still going ahead?)

And, finally, a lot us loyal fans will give it a miss as we're "footballed out" after the number of games we've attended both home and away over the last month.

If it's a small consolation I will be going to the game with the hope and expectation that we smash Palace. I may not have attended had it been anyone else. At the same time I can understand why many Albion fans won't go for the reasons stated above.

Se20

Banned
Oct 3, 2012
Surely even Palace's finest wouldn't duff up a blind man?

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Totally off limits, although one of your toughies tried to push a Palace Down's syndrome fan down the stairs at Haywards Heath train station.
Scumbag.

Keith the Kipper

Feb 27, 2010
Worthing
They are not stopping me looking forward to it. A chance to see some of our fringe players and with the squad we have now that is not like watching our reserves say 3 or 4 years ago. Goldson , Huenemeier , Kayal , Baldock , March, Schelotto , Brown, Krull should put up great show against a more depleted Palace side what with their long term injuries. Come on buy a ticket - you know it makes sense, cheer yourself up on an otherwise depressing Monday night in January !

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
Totally off limits, although one of your toughies tried to push a Palace Down's syndrome fan down the stairs at Haywards Heath train station.
Scumbag.

Surely that's old news, whereas your retarded so called ultras, that dress up as Bruce Lee mini me's, let off flares accidentally on purpose, which could've even injured your own :shrug:

Se20

Banned
Oct 3, 2012
Surely that's old news, whereas your retarded so called ultras, that dress up as Bruce Lee mini me's, let off flares accidentally on purpose, which could've even injured your own :shrug:

Last season wasn't it ?

Wardy's twin

Oct 21, 2014
...or are the club realising that the only thing they are interested in is the premier league and regard the cup as an unwelcome distraction.

I have mates who support teams like Palace. Pompey and Southampton who when we were topping the Championship told me to be careful what I wish for. Yes the Premier is the Holy Grail, but once you are there, the reality strikes and that is nothing else matters than staying in the premier. All the cup competitions are regarded with disdain as they lead to nothing and are a distraction. Managers don't want to risk players and fans have lost interest in cups.

I honestly cant remember this happening when we were in the first division many years ago...I seem to remember always putting out our best team in cup games....I suppose you could say that being relegated in 1983 but reaching the cup final masked the disappointment of going down, but it certainly want the be and end all and we didn't think we would suddenly go bust or it being the end of the world by going down.

Assuming that the top 6 are the clubs that will dominate entrance to the Champions League ( and the Europa cup where they don't want to be in that anyway), the premier league for the rest of the
teams is all about survival. If you geta result over a big six side that , is really a one off and to be savoured, but it is results against the teams outside the top 6 that is what matters.

I never understood ManU pulling out of the FA Cup to be in another competition at the time and i thought it was a betrayal of fans and disrespectful of the English game...now I understand 100% and I am sure that every club in the Prem and those fighting to get there in the Championship would do exactly the same ( or maybe just pull out and not play at all)

Because the FA cup money was an added bonus , now it its hardly worth getting out of bed for. I am going but I can see why a lot of people aren't and to say they are n't real fans is nonsense. I have attended Albion games since the late 60s so more than aware of the rivalry etc and have encountered it first hand (so to speak) but most Brighton supporters are not really that interested. This game has pain written all over it.

Wardy's twin

Oct 21, 2014
No it wouldn't. The opposition has got absolutely nothing to do with it. There are a LOAD of factors as to why this won't sell out, NONE of which are unique to BHAFC by the way. Just have a look at the attendances around the country this FA Cup weekend. It doesn't matter whether we'd be playing CPFC2010, Man Utd, Liverpool or Oxford, there are big factors that dictates empty seats for this:

1. Monday nights are a complete ballache for many
2.There are no trains
3.Its another £25, straight after Christmas
4.Its going to be 2 reserve sides
5.Its on telly anyway
6.The Cup is just not a big priority any more for managers, players or fans

Kick and scream and brandish your SUPERFAN status around as much as you like, but thems the facts as to why it won't sell out. People do have a CHOICE in all this you know. Grow up and accept it.

I think the first option should have been - I have a life away from football and I make my own decisions when to attend a game

Wardy's twin

Oct 21, 2014
It is disappointing - but understandable - to read that some people aren't interested in the rivalry with Palace, and this is where I think the FA Cup's demise is most corrosive.

There's nothing that takes away the intensity of a rivalry like friendlies or half-arsed competitions, and playing the game on a Monday night makes a bad job worse.

England versus Germany used to be a big thing but a series of annual friendlies have watered that down. What used to be unmissable 20 years ago is now "Meh".

The FA are being extremely complacent about both cup competitions. They need to learn from other sports as to what works and what doesn't.

Until you get 100 million for winning the cup it will always be less important than the PL and even then abetting person probably would still focus on the PL as there are better odds. This is the face of the modern football industry it's driven by sky money for the top eleite clubs (and at the moment that includes us)

crookie

Jun 14, 2013
Back in Sussex
Wouldn't normally bother with midweek early round cup match, especially as it's on TV, but as it's Palace I've decided to go. Good opportunity to sit somewhere else as my seat is gone. Hopefully sell a thousand or 2 more over the next few days, and should be a good atmosphere. Let's hope we're all celebrating wherever you're watching it:albion2:

Aveacarlin'

Jul 5, 2011
Who can blame the club for this? Clearly still reeling from the mystery of the '83 cup final money.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

Aveacarlin'

Jul 5, 2011
It seems pretty clear they are only interested in the sanitised, family-friendly version of the game and a match against our biggest rivals is too much of a problem for them to be bothered with.

Utter rubbish.

kevo

Mar 8, 2008
Utter rubbish.

Why are they not advertising it in their emails? Why are tickets £25? Why are there only five loyalty points? The club are hardly going out of their way to get people to attend this fixture. I wonder why.

BNthree

Plastic JCL
Sep 14, 2016
WeHo
My assumption on the £25 cost and only 5 loyalty points was the club thinking that it would avoid harvesting. Sadly it seems it has discouraged fans that would have gone but are feeling the pinch post Christmas.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here