Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] The Championship

jcdenton08

Enemy of the People
NSC Patron
Oct 17, 2008
The point of football, as I understand it, is to finish in the highest possible position within the football pyramid. We are currently the 13th best team in the country. This is because we are playing in the Premier League and are currently in 13th position.

Every team above us has won something in their lifetimes. Most have won multiple things. Brighton and Hove Albion are a small club who have never won anything. No FA Cup's, no Champions Leagues, no top division titles.

Winning games in League Two is a means to an end, that end being reaching League One. Then the Championship. Now the pinnacle.

Basically, this comes down to entitlement, unrealistic expectations and rose-tinted glasses. Remember the playoff debacle? All anyone wanted was to reach the PL.

Well now we're here. So shut up.

big nuts

Jan 15, 2011
Hove
As you think that the Championship was a level playing field? definitely seems like a case of rose tinted glasses

There are always teams in there who are only realistically looking to survive in that division and know they can't really compete at the top (especially against teams with parachute payments)

I'm referring to teams like Burton when they were in there, ourselves when we were at Withdean (like when Coppell / McGhee were our managers) and most other clubs that are financially unable to compete as they aren't being funded by a rich owner or by parachute payments

Losses trying to compete also put clubs futures at serious risk too as it's unsustainable in the long term

Our ambition for the PL is to slowly transform into a top 10 side, where we will win more and score more, but we have started in this division like those who just look to survive in the Championship and it will take time for the academy to produce results and mean we can improve the squad to the levels it will take to compete far higher up the table as it's the only viable financial option open to us to achieve this

There’s no doubt about it finances and budget play a part and is a major factor throughout the pyramid.

The Premier League though is obscene. Outside of Leicester the top four champions league places have been dominated by the same 5 or 6 teams with only Leicester bucking that trend.

A sign of a competitive league is that an average of 2 points a game wins you the league or gets you close.

That’s still the case for all other tiers, bar the Premier where 2.5 points isn’t even a forgone conclusion.

At the opposite end it used to be 40 points for survival then 38 now its incredibly rare for anyone to go down with 35 or 36.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
The point of football, as I understand it, is to finish in the highest possible position within the football pyramid. We are currently the 13th best team in the country. This is because we are playing in the Premier League and are currently in 13th position.

Every team above us has won something in their lifetimes. Most have won multiple things. Brighton and Hove Albion are a small club who have never won anything. No FA Cup's, no Champions Leagues, no top division titles.

Winning games in League Two is a means to an end, that end being reaching League One. Then the Championship. Now the pinnacle.

Basically, this comes down to entitlement, unrealistic expectations and rose-tinted glasses. Remember the playoff debacle? All anyone wanted was to reach the PL.

By your logic a team could finish 17th every season in the Premier League, winning, say, just 8 matches, drawing 11 and losing 19 every season. In theory, a team could survive year after year solely on points won away from home. I wouldn't expect many fans of any club would willingly accept that perpetual football purgatory simply to remain a Premier League club.

And that is a place into which we appears to have settled, so I'm not surprised it feels very unusual for our fans who are used to riding the rollercoaster of success or failure, and experiencing the highs and lows that is the very essence of living.

Re us being a small club - that's wrong. We are a mid-sized club who are enjoying the best sustained period of top flight quality in our history, who have reached a Cup Final and beaten all of the big sides in the top flight bar Chelsea. Small clubs are Forest Green Rovers, Sutton Utd, Salford City - they've won f*ck all and never beaten any of the big boys in the league.

Therefore, some fans will aspire to greater accomplishments, others will just be grateful it's not 1997 all over again - there's nothing wrong with either viewpoint and telling them to shut up is wrong. IMHO.

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead

That’s one opinion. I don’t see it that way. I enjoy the day out. The division doesn’t matter.

Apr 30, 2013
It's grim oop north
Some interesting points to read through

I would agree the PL journey was a lot more fun than the destination. Fighting it out to finish around 15th-17th each season is probably not as exciting as chasing playoff and auto promotion spots.

Away games in the championship definitely a lot more fun as were the grounds.

PL is incredible and comes with big money and exposure of course

Apr 30, 2013
It's grim oop north
"Definitely far from safe ??"

We are in a shit run of form, but we are currently 150/1 to go down with the bookies. 3 (THREE) of those junk teams at the bottom would basically have to mount Champions League form, without us picking up another point to overhaul us. And they'll be taking points off each other. If you're still THAT convinced, then stick a fiver on us to go down, and get your next years ST paid for, plus plenty of beer tokens in with the bargain.

I mean christ.

We were 250/1 last week

After leeds result tonight down to 100/1

We are in free fall and almost all the teams at the bottom have shown a glimpse of flair over the last few weeks.

Everton and burley have 2 games in hand at which point the relegation line after 29 played could be 27 points - so we'd be 6 points away with 9 to play and man city, spurs and arsenal away back to back.

So i would say we are "far from safe" currently

Although unlikely to go down, its not overly comfortable with our form and run in

cheesy77

Feb 18, 2009
We were 250/1 last week

After leeds result tonight down to 100/1

We are in free fall and almost all the teams at the bottom have shown a glimpse of flair over the last few weeks.

Everton and burley have 2 games in hand at which point the relegation line after 29 played could be 27 points - so we'd be 6 points away with 9 to play and man city, spurs and arsenal away back to back.

So i would say we are "far from safe" currently

Although unlikely to go down, its not overly comfortable with our form and run in
I agree. Luckily I stuck on a tenner after Liverpool defeat when we were 250/1 as some people on this thread have suggested. Tonight yep down to 100/1. Still unlikely but a big change from last week.

With those three away games on the bounce, we cannot afford to lose to Norwich. Big game

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

Dibdab

Sep 28, 2021
I agree. Luckily I stuck on a tenner after Liverpool defeat when we were 250/1 as some people on this thread have suggested. Tonight yep down to 100/1. Still unlikely but a big change from last week.

With those three away games on the bounce, we cannot afford to lose to Norwich. Big game

I'm sticking a fiver on us. Fail to beat Norwich and those odds are tumbling.

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead

That’s gone and done it.
0-1

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here