Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The Championship tonight 20/03/15

mikeyjh

Dec 17, 2008
Llanymawddwy
weird because Derby are EASILY the best team to come to the Amex this season yet even we beat them!.I think Chris Martin is a major player for them , it is probably getting to the stage where they will just take the play offs again.

He really is, and Bent has been decent before he was injured but that is one of our problems, we don't have much cover....

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
He really is, and Bent has been decent before he was injured but that is one of our problems, we don't have much cover....

Is this really what has caused the downturn in your form, or is it due to other injuries (especially in defensive midfield), or is the current spell revealing that it's your defence that's the most suspect part of your team?
Still hope you go up, and still think you will.

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003

No offence, but I wouldn't mind being in a position where only having Chris Martin & Darren Bent constitutes not much cover. What's happened to Jamie Ward? I've always thought he was an excellent player.

Mayonaise

May 25, 2014
Haywards Heath
Derby really should have gone up last season. They were easily the best side in the play offs but they do seem to bottle getting over the line and this year looks like they are going to bottle it again.

KJP

Mar 2, 2011
Goring-by-Sea
How many points did we have at this point in the season last year?

Edit] found it, 56 points in 9th place, 4 off play offs

Would put us 10th this season, 12 off play offs

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Could the best team in the league (for the last two seasons) miss out again? Shocking really. The thing is, when it comes to high level pressure, Schteve cracks. He cracked managing England, he cracked in the play-offs last year and he is cracking again now at the crucial time. It's more than injuries mate, Schteve can't handle the big games.

It's nonsense to suggest that they 'cracked' or 'bottled it' in the play offs last year. They destroyed us in the semis, and outplayed QPR at Wembley, but got mugged at the death.

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
It's nonsense to suggest that they 'cracked' or 'bottled it' in the play offs last year. They destroyed us in the semis, and outplayed QPR at Wembley, but got mugged at the death.

I was talking about the manager, not the team performance vs QPR. He has won the league cup vs Bolton but did his best to avoid winning the 2009–10 Eredivisie by only getting 8 points from a possible18 in the last 6 games. When the going gets tough, McLaren teams don't tend to have an answer. I realise Derby play outstanding football, but will you be putting your money on them to win the play-offs this year (if they manage to get there)?

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex

Much to my delight at the time. I was sat watching the game at home and from about 70 mins thought it had 1-0 QPR written all over it. I got live betting up and waited until 1-0 QPR hit 20/1 and slapped a fiver on it about a minute before BZ scored :thumbsup:

mikeyjh

Dec 17, 2008
Llanymawddwy
No offence, but I wouldn't mind being in a position where only having Chris Martin & Darren Bent constitutes not much cover. What's happened to Jamie Ward? I've always thought he was an excellent player.

Beyond those 2 though, and we're down to the youngsters and while there's a lot of promise in other positions, it's down to the U18s before one of them is a striker.

Ward is decent, but he's not a striker.....

mikeyjh

Dec 17, 2008
Llanymawddwy
Is this really what has caused the downturn in your form, or is it due to other injuries (especially in defensive midfield), or is the current spell revealing that it's your defence that's the most suspect part of your team?
Still hope you go up, and still think you will.

Definitely defensive midfield - We were without Thorne, then Eustace, now Mascarell so we are really struggling there. Defence hasn't been good enough, but when were on the front foot and with Eusatace going well, it kind of didn't need to be 7 clean sheets in 8 at one point or something similar. Albentosa is a stellar signing but will take time to bed in.

In short, you are correct, defence has always been a bit suspect, but it's masked when you control the game and score loads.

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Beyond those 2 though, and we're down to the youngsters and while there's a lot of promise in other positions, it's down to the U18s before one of them is a striker.

He's an annoying so & so but I've been very impressed with him over the past couple of years. Intelligent little player. Haven't heard his name so much this season though.

I hear your point about strikers, but imagine not having any of Bent & Martin's quality in the first place! That's us, by the way, well, and most teams below you in the league :)

Be a shame if you blow it. Now's the time to launch one final big push: maybe you can recover some sort of form after the break, though the players must be feeling a bit fragile lately. But it's still very tight up at the top. There's often seemed to be one promotion place sewn up early- Leicester last year, for example, but that's not happening this time round. Makes for fun viewing. Especially if you still have to play several of the teams up there, as we do.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford

Johnny Russell?

mikeyjh

Dec 17, 2008
Llanymawddwy
He's an annoying so & so but I've been very impressed with him over the past couple of years. Intelligent little player. Haven't heard his name so much this season though.

I hear your point about strikers, but imagine not having any of Bent & Martin's quality in the first place! That's us, by the way, well, and most teams below you in the league :)

Be a shame if you blow it. Now's the time to launch one final big push: maybe you can recover some sort of form after the break, though the players must be feeling a bit fragile lately. But it's still very tight up at the top. There's often seemed to be one promotion place sewn up early- Leicester last year, for example, but that's not happening this time round. Makes for fun viewing. Especially if you still have to play several of the teams up there, as we do.

That's the thing about this division, there's not a massive difference between top and bottom. I'd say we have 3 players that have made our squad better than yours, (if you follow), Chris Martin, George Thorne and Will Hughes. The way we play is obviously quite different which means we end up with a plethora of 'Wingers', such as Ward.....

Glad you're enjoying it, that's the upside of being mid table isn't it!!

Paris

Jul 17, 2010
13th district
I can see Watford beating Derby the Friday after next, as they are shit hot on the road. If McClaren doesn't turn the ship around they may well miss out on a top six place, which would be criminal considering the season the Rams have had in the wake of last seasons disappointment.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here