Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The Catfish circa 1997

pearl

May 3, 2016
Behind My Eyes
what was the name of the nightclub/dance venue in 1984, sited at the top of Regency square (where the underground car park is) we've been trying to remember the name for years now, anyone remember please?

Was it Subterfuge? (weird memory flashback moment)

papa_stew

Sep 22, 2007
cd2.jpg

stumbled across this thread when trying to remember the year of that Blind Boys/Etta James concert at the Centre. Had the cd in my line of sight on the shelf so thought would share. Great times.

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
Brighton in the 90's was rich with clubs and music venues . . . quite a lof of flyers and posters have popped up on FB recently, I can't remember some of them, even though they were our gigs!

playing in the Basement the night after we lost to Germany in 1996 . . . messy.

Comrade Sam

Comrade Sam
Jan 31, 2013
Walthamstow
That's where I met my wife in 1996. The Catfish was the only soul club completely free from pretention. A cross between a school disco, wedding party and a works do but with awesome tunes and a sea of people dancing. I once took a couple of London Mod mates along when there was nothing else on. As the surveyed the queue I was ribbed mercilessly for the poor attire of those around us. We all danced all night and they both sent me postcards thanking me and apologising for doubting my choice of entertainment.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
That's where I met my wife in 1996. The Catfish was the only soul club completely free from pretention. A cross between a school disco, wedding party and a works do but with awesome tunes and a sea of people dancing. I once took a couple of London Mod mates along when there was nothing else on. As the surveyed the queue I was ribbed mercilessly for the poor attire of those around us. We all danced all night and they both sent me postcards thanking me and apologising for doubting my choice of entertainment.

:lolol:

I loved clubbing in Brighton in the 90s. Moved on from The Gloucester with workmates on a Friday and the odd trips to The Event with football mates when I was taken to The Shark Club to see Andy Weatherall and ended up meeting some lads I'd end up doing a mad house share with. The number of people in it would triple at weekends and The Zap became our regular Friday night.

However, some times we'd not want to go so mad or to go out on Saturdays or listen to some different music and The Catfish was always the club we went to on those occasions. Two ravers, two casuals, a mate who wore black or purple jumpers with holes in and a mad Evertonian scouser who was a wee bit older than us and dressed like he was out for a night at a council estate boozer with a flat roof. We'd all come home drunk, mashed and drowned in sweat every single time.

Good times.

seagurl

Mar 21, 2012
what was the name of the nightclub/dance venue in 1984, sited at the top of Regency square (where the underground car park is) we've been trying to remember the name for years now, anyone remember please?
I think it was The Bonsoir Club. Down in the basement. Another great basement club was The Brighton Belle. Top of Oriental place. Happy days.

JonnyCLately

Jan 16, 2018
Shoreham by sea
Brighton in the 90's was rich with clubs and music venues . . . quite a lof of flyers and posters have popped up on FB recently, I can't remember some of them, even though they were our gigs!

playing in the Basement the night after we lost to Germany in 1996 . . . messy.

I remember arriving with a broken ankle and crutches. Woke having made it home. No crutches.......oh, and a Man City supporting girl in tow. Halcyon

Mr Bronson

Feb 24, 2009
I sore in my 16th birthday at the Catfish. 1989 after seeing Eat and Ned’s Atomic Dustbin support the Wonderstuff at the Brighton Centre. Top night out.

Barham's tash

Jun 8, 2013
Rayners Lane
Thanks for these Al, I'm building a Spotify playlist. I remember The Beat Goes On by Buddy Rich and Save Me by Nina Simone

Do be kind enough to share the link and make the playlist public on here if you do?! Thanks chap

Also given the nature of the tunes being revered on this thread suggest you should all check out both the film and sound track of Baby Driver.

IMO the most perfectly picked soundtrack of any film… which if I could be bothered I’d start a new thread about just to get other people’s opinions!

Tokyohands

Jan 5, 2017
Tokyo
My only memory of The Catfish was meeting a bird on the dancefloor who was swigging a bottle of Gaviscon. She offered me a swig and I dunno what happened after......good shit that!

jackanada

Jul 19, 2011
Brighton
So there was. Here is the track listing

1 –The Five Du-Tones Shake A Tail Feather
2 –Etta James Tell Mama
3 –Billy Davis & The Legends Spunky Onions
4 –Richard Berry Louie, Louie
5 –Pilgrim Travellers* I've Got A New Home
6 –John Lee Hooker Odds Against Me
7 –Frankie Lee Sims Married Woman
8 –Guitar Junior* Roll, Roll, Roll
9 –The Ikettes Peaches And Cream
10 –Wilbert Harrison Let's Stick Together
11 –Little Esther The Deacon Moves In
12 –The Original Five Blind Boys Of Alabama Marching Up To Zion
13 –Johnny Shines Mean Black Gobbler
14 –The Mar-Keys Last Night
15 –James Brown Chonnie-On-Chon
16 –Doctor Ross Boogie Disease #2

https://open.spotify.com/playlist/4...i=IttEfZtOSiq4PsZIoNOA7A&utm_source=copy-link

Made the playlist.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here