Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The Captain

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne
now I like Mr forster and I suspect if you cut him he might bleed blue and white and nobody can fault his total commitment to the Albion but....................
should he really be the captain, I have always had my doubts about using a forward of any kind as a captain, he can't see whats going on behind him (if he can it can only be fleeting glimpses) and when can he have time to indicate to players what he wants them to do other than when making a run into the penalty area.
IMHO the captain should come from the midfield or defence.
(discuss)

this would give our present captain time to concentrate on his own game and score some goals and I'm sure he would like someone else to have the job who can see **maybe** where things are going wrong.
**maybe** always assuming we have someone competent to see whats going on.

Elder for England

Jan 30, 2008
I've said this aswel. Firstly because he is a forward and I think a captain should either be in midfield or defence, and also because I don't think he is a true captain and doesn't set a good example, professionally he does but he's always diving and whinging. I don't think we have anyone that could captain the side.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Elphick I would back as captain.

Spider

Sep 15, 2007
Forster seems to me to be a really good captain though. I think sometimes people exaggerate the importance of the captain. What I think Forster does best is lead by example - he is consistently the one player who is trying to dig out an opening even when we aren't playing well.

There's obviously an argument that a captain needs to be in the thick of the action, but I'm not really sure being up front is much of a hindrance (although I don't think having a goalie as captain is a good idea). I don't think a captain has any business telling "the players what he wants them to do" - that's the job of a manager and coaching staff. The captain is surely the one who is responsible for team motivation and keeping his team on the right side of the referee. I don't see anyone in the squad being able to do that better than Forster.

ali jenkins

Thanks to Guinness Dave
Feb 9, 2006
Southwick
The captain should lead by example, get his team motivated, talk to the ref and should help the manager get his point accross.

I think at the moment Elphick is still a little un-experianced to be captain but in 3/4 years then I would hope that he is captain (assuming he stays)

supaseagull

Feb 19, 2004
The United Kingdom of Mile Oak
I like Elphick but he's not yet Captain material - he still gets a bit too hot headed.

Other than Forster, I don't think we have anyone else who could be captain other than David Livermore and he's been injured.

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne
Forster seems to me to be a really good captain though. I think sometimes people exaggerate the importance of the captain. What I think Forster does best is lead by example - he is consistently the one player who is trying to dig out an opening even when we aren't playing well.

There's obviously an argument that a captain needs to be in the thick of the action, but I'm not really sure being up front is much of a hindrance (although I don't think having a goalie as captain is a good idea). I don't think a captain has any business telling "the players what he wants them to do" - that's the job of a manager and coaching staff. The captain is surely the one who is responsible for team motivation and keeping his team on the right side of the referee. I don't see anyone in the squad being able to do that better than Forster.

the names Nobby and Horton come to mind ....but then we did have strong managers then

I like Elphick but he's not yet Captain material - he still gets a bit too hot headed.

Other than Forster, I don't think we have anyone else who could be captain other than David Livermore and he's been injured.

Livermore might do the job well but he has not been playing so maybe needs time to settle or we need a midfielder who fits the tackler,passer and as I have said before he does not have to be young or that fast could have one leg, one eye just as long as he can do the job

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
Hopefully one of our 4 new players will take over the role.

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne
Adam Virgo?:bowdown:

might have something there he does have the experience of playing in higher leagues and in many different positions.

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne
Hopefully one of our 4 new players will take over the role.

have you heard something then?

11.gif

crodonilson

He/Him
Jan 17, 2005
Lyme Regis
The captain faces The Rocket in the Masters final today. Inspired stuff from the Captain in defeating the Pistol last night with 3 century breaks but you have to feel he will have to up his game to another level if he is to triumph today.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here