Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] The Butterfly Effect

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
One for human science nerds.

Whilst listening to the Radio Sussex this week, our Warren said that if we had made the Quarter Finals of the League Cup we would have been away to Manchester United. I thought about it and came to the conclusion that we may not have done. In fact, the draw would likely have been completely different. Added to that, lives may have been completely different. In some cases life and death.

This is because I believe that almost all time and movement is affected by a single small action through a trickle effect that travels fast. And the conversations around the game would have been different. The actions and movements of every individual. The threads on NSC may have been different. Me writing this is altering the course of your life.

I looked this theory up and it appears to be known as the 'butterfly effect'

I apologise if this means that, by reading this, some of you may not meet future partners, and take thanks in advance for those of you that do.

But surely my theory is correct is it not ?

Last edited:

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
They're thinking of renaming it The Maupay Effect.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham

Whilst listening to the Radio Sussex this week, our Warren said that if we had made the Quarter Finals of the League Cup we would have been away to Manchester United. I thought about it and came to the conclusion that we may not have done. In fact, the draw would likely have been completely different. Added to that, lives may have been completely different. In some cases life and death.

This is because I believe that almost all time and movement is affected by a single small action through a trickle affect that travels fast. And the conversations around the game would have been different. The actions and movements of every individual. The threads on NSC may have been different. Me writing this is altering the course of your life.

I apologise if this means that, by reading this, some of you may not meet future partners, and take thanks in advance for those of you that do.

Correct.

It is what it is.

Anger

Jul 21, 2017

This is because I believe that almost all time and movement is affected by a single small action through a trickle affect that travels fast. And the conversations around the game would have been different. The actions and movements of every individual. The threads on NSC may have been different. Me writing this is altering the course of your life.

Spot on!

And if Warren hadn’t scored for us away at Carlisle in 1999 (and almost expiring when he ran over 30 yards towards us to celebrate) then would Tony have bought the club years later?

And would I still have had a curry today?

Sid and the Sharknados

NSC Patron
Sep 4, 2022
Darlington
If you're interested in this sort of thing, I recommend the original book version of Jurassic Park.
Lots of stuff about chaos theory and the butterfly effect. Sadly no half naked Jeff Goldblum.

Paulie Gualtieri

Bada Bing
NSC Patron
May 8, 2018

Correct.

Every change of movement, thought, and action would impact the future.

For example, had we won, I may have bought extra beers on the way home, woken up more hung over than planned and got a later train into work, unknown to me a member of the FA production team is on my train, I’ve taken the seat they would have taken if free and this has displaced them from their original position.

All manner of things could change in their day which could impact their mood and actions meaning someone else did the practice draw, the draw started seconds later and different balls were picked.

JamesAndTheGiantHead

Sep 2, 2011
Worthing
Legend has it that Hitler was on the end of an allied rifle when he was a runner during WWI but he was unarmed so they let him go, changing the world forever.

If true, this act of mercy may have eventually costs hundreds of millions of lives.

Eeyore

NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
Spot on!

And if Warren hadn’t scored for us away at Carlisle in 1999 (and almost expiring when he ran over 30 yards towards us to celebrate) then would Tony have bought the club years later?

And would I still have had a curry today?
Some things are less movable So it is highly possible that Tony might have taken over, but I very much doubt you would have had curry today. If you id, it wouldn't have been the same flavour.

However, those at the match who now have a son and a daughter may have two sons or two daughters. And it's likely they would look different to what they do now.

Sid and the Sharknados

NSC Patron
Sep 4, 2022
Darlington
Legend has it that Hitler was on the end of an allied rifle when he was a runner during WWI but he was unarmed so they let him go, changing the world forever.
This sounds like total BS. That said, he was definitely badly injured, and could very easily have been killed along with Churchill, Montgomery, Slim etc. without anybody batting an eyelid.

BN41Albion

Oct 1, 2017

Yep - it irritates me (irrationally so) when I hear things like 'well we would've drawn ... anyway so...'
As you said, the draw would've been completely different had we won

The film Butterfly Effect is pretty decent. Pretty old now though!

JamesAndTheGiantHead

Sep 2, 2011
Worthing

Berty23

Jun 26, 2012
Yep - it irritates me (irrationally so) when I hear things like 'well we would've drawn ... anyway so...'
As you said, the draw would've been completely different had we won

The film Butterfly Effect is pretty decent. Pretty old now though!
Siding doors from the 90s was a similar idea.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
nah, the draw is a bunch of balls with numbers. the teams allocated dont change causality. there's the many worlds interpretation of quantum theory that holds there is an infinte number of realities, so literally anything is possible, everything can and does happen - we have both won the European Cup and been relegated from 4th tier. with a simpler view, a single timeline where divergences resolve to one reality, there's no room for such deviation, ball A and ball B would always be selected.

this is different to chaos theory, that events and outcomes are unpreditcable, and rerunning something lead different outcomes. the butterfly effect is that minor changes alter the outcomes, which still holds true. it's different to there being multiple realities though, Hollywood just mis-use it as an interesting plot device.

Last edited:

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley

This is because I believe that almost all time and movement is affected by a single small action through a trickle effect that travels fast. And the conversations around the game would have been different. The actions and movements of every individual. The threads on NSC may have been different. Me writing this is altering the course of your life.

I have a different view, I believe that everything that has ever happened and will ever happen has a cause and that it was and is inevitable, from the moment of the big bang. There is no if, this or that happened, because they didn't and never would have. I don't believe in free will, and I don't believe anything is random, even if it is entirely unpredictable.

Gabbafella

Aug 22, 2012
Watch the film "The Butterfly Effect", Ashton Kutcher and Amy Smart. A pretty decent film and shows how the slightest change can have catastrophic repercussions.

Gabbafella

Aug 22, 2012
I have a different view, I believe that everything that has ever happened and will ever happen has a cause and that it was and is inevitable, from the moment of the big bang. There is no if, this or that happened, because they didn't and never would have. I don't believe in free will, and I don't believe anything is random, even if it is entirely unpredictable.
So if you don't believe in free will or randomness, I take it you're religious and believe that all life has a set design and a predetermined destiny?

Eeyore

NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
A few defence lawyers might be interested in that one. 'I had no choice but to burgle that house, ma Lord, it was pre-determined by my fate of birth, not a wilful act'

tronnogull

May 17, 2010
In 2019 somebody in a lab in Wuhan was in a bit of a rush to get home, made a tiny mistake and let a tiny amount of a virus escape..........

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
So if you don't believe in free will or randomness, I take it you're religious and believe that all life has a set design and a predetermined destiny?
Nope.
I don't believe there is any design, just that there is a cause for everything that happens, and that cause was caused by something else that happened previously, all the way back to the moment of the big bang. You do not have free will, because you are who you are and were always going to make the decisions you made at any given moment.

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
A few defence lawyers might be interested in that one. 'I had no choice but to burgle that house, ma Lord, it was pre-determined by my fate of birth, not a wilful act'
It was an act of will, but your will was what it was because of a series of causes, a spell in prison might be the cause of you making different choices in the future, but if it does, it was always going to.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here