Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Food] The Branston Pickle debate

Live by the sea

Oct 21, 2016
There are lots of nice chutneys and pickles but branston pickle is def not one of them , in my view it’s got quite an unpleasant taste . I’m sure Guinness boy will no doubt accuse me of something because he’s taken offence .

Jul 7, 2003
For those who like the proper chunky stuff, M&S do a Ploughman's Chutney which is a very good alternative to Branstons.

Yoda

English & European
Small Chunk in a sandwich, Original for anything else and stay clear of the smooth. You should only be using smooth if you've lost all your teeth and still want the flavour.

happypig

Staring at the rude boys
May 23, 2009
Eastbourne
Small chunk for me. I like to have it with cheese on toast BUT... PUT IT UNDER THE CHEESE so the cheese melts on top of it.

Bon appetit !

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patron
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel

METALMICKY

Jan 30, 2004
Smooth all the way. But never mind the Branston in our house tomato relish is king. Always get strange looks at the checkout when we buy 5 bottles at a time. And if we feel posh we'll break out the farm shop chili jam!:D

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Small chunk or original...

Which is best?

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

I like small in a sandwich and chunky with a ploughman’s. Both are retained in The Clamp larder. However I am enjoying Beaver Brand mustards which are really a picalilly, containing some lovely pickle chunks. They come in various types. I currently have a Coney Island and a Jalapeño on the go.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Got to be the chunky version. I asked the wife for a cheese and pickle sandwich but she palmed me off with relish.

OzMike

Oct 2, 2006
Perth Australia
Original is always best.
I like to toast one side of a couple of slices of bread, turn over, lightly toast other side, apply butter, which melts and then cover with original Branston Pickle, then cover the pickle with grated cheese making sure none of the pickle is exposed.
Place back in the grill and continue till all the cheese has melted over the pickle, allow to set for a couple of mins and then devour.
It tastes great, though may induce a little heart burn later. :down:

LlcoolJ

Mama said knock you out.
Oct 14, 2009
Sheffield
Original is always best.
I like to toast one side of a couple of slices of bread, turn over, lightly toast other side, apply butter, which melts and then cover with original Branston Pickle, then cover the pickle with grated cheese making sure none of the pickle is exposed.
Place back in the grill and continue till all the cheese has melted over the pickle, allow to set for a couple of mins and then devour.
It tastes great, though may induce a little heart burn later. :down:
A classic. I told a mate about this a few months back. His eyes lit up as if he'd seen the Second Coming.

"NO WAY! Why haven't I heard of this before?!"

[emoji23]

You can also do variations on the theme with tomato/chilli/garlic/Marmite/jalapeno sauces. All rather good. Sprinkling of herbs on top as well. The possibilities are endless.

Original Branston still rules though.

OzMike

Oct 2, 2006
Perth Australia
A classic. I told a mate about this a few months back. His eyes lit up as if he'd seen the Second Coming.

"NO WAY! Why haven't I heard of this before?!"

[emoji23]

You can also do variations on the theme with tomato/chilli/garlic/Marmite/jalapeno sauces. All rather good. Sprinkling of herbs on top as well. The possibilities are endless.

Original Branston still rules though.

I will try the jalapeno variation I like a bit of a kick.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here