Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Drinking] The Bison Arms

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Deep joy, yet another hipster hotspot in Brighton. To go with the 50 others that have sprung up in the past 3 years or so. Now, I'm a not one of those mindless knuckle dragger sorts who wants cooking lager, sky sports and a pool table, but to be served up the same "quirky" beers with essence of piss and smug, get stung for £5-6 a pop, drinking it out of jam jars, while the "regulars" get their uke on, seems to be taking the piss a bit now somewhat. Oh, and dont forget the obligatory full sleeve tat numpties with bits of wood sticking out of their sodding ears behind the bar. Can't we just have a nice, comfy pub- preferably with a log fire- some decent proper ales, and a lovely friendly girl behind the bar that you could take home to your mum?!?! Or are those days long gone now?!?

Why not start a crowdfunding campaign and open a "comfy pub" then?

Oh, and hipsters are the most benign group you'll ever meet, they're really nothing to get worked up about. Chill out.

Last edited:

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
So who on NSC has invested in this adventure?

I did. Although I wouldn't say I have invested. I put some money in because I support their aims and want to help them achieve them. If I get a return it's a bonus.

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
Damn those hipsters and their supporting of local start ups and drinking their local ales! I bet they bloody recycle and all!

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Damn those hipsters and their supporting of local start ups and drinking their local ales! I bet they bloody recycle and all!

:lolol:

How long before we get a "they want to be individual but they all look the same" comment? Or the classic "they hate big corporations but all have Apple Macs" snipe.

PS do they? And, no they don't necessarily.

MJsGhost

Oooh Matron, I'm an
NSC Patron
Jun 26, 2009
East
So who on NSC has invested in this adventure?

I have. Much like HT, I'm not exactly expecting to make any money out of it, but if it all works out it'll be a great addition to Brighton's pubs (and I'll feel happy to have helped in a small way)

narly101

Feb 16, 2009
London
They won't want my custom. I don't have a beard, and I dont wear skinny jeans.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
They won't want my custom. I don't have a beard, and I dont wear skinny jeans.

I only have stubble and at my age struggle with skinny jeans*. You'll be fine.

*-I do sport a taper in my Levis though.

Man of Harveys

Jul 9, 2003
Brighton, UK
I'd actually be well in favour of an old-skool pub in that area: juke box, table-top Pacman, sticky red carpet, Irish landlord who wears a tie, pickled eggs behind the bar, the lot. And a discount for ordering lager and lime.

narly101

Feb 16, 2009
London
I'd actually be well in favour of an old-skool pub in that area: juke box, table-top Pacman, sticky red carpet, Irish landlord who wears a tie, pickled eggs behind the bar, the lot. And a discount for ordering lager and lime.

Sundays - cheese and pickled onions on the bar.

And a special on brown and mild

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex

Sundays - cheese and pickled onions on the bar.

And a special on brown and mild

Perhaps BG should come out of retirement?

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
On a slightly related topic how come the US do shit pubs so much better than the UK? I've been to some right dumps in the US but somehow they work.

Man of Harveys

Jul 9, 2003
Brighton, UK
On a slightly related topic how come the US do shit pubs so much better than the UK? I've been to some right dumps in the US but somehow they work.

With some notable exceptions - take a bow, Flying Saucer in Sugar Land, TX - I've generally found US pubs pretty rotten, tbh. I think even bad ones are better here; at least they're characterful.

In the States, they're either too much just really scuzzy drinking holes - really pissed, bored blokes sitting on a bar stools and snarling at each other and anyone else who comes near - or just glorified restaurants.

There's also the inevitability of drink driving home for 99% of all customers - so you miss out on the great British tradition of a cold, scary walk home in the dark, accompanied by a spot of furtive but powerful urban urination. I'm team GB.

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath
I don't get the animosity towards this, is it not good to have establishments that cater for different subcultures? It sounds like these guys are putting a massive amount of effort into creating something that's unique, surely that's got to be better than chucking in a burger king or any chain establishment.

Personally I can't get my head around people investing £100k into someone else's personal business for such a crap amount of equity, but they've managed it so good luck to them!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here