Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The biggest myth about CMS - "we don't play to his strengths"

Chesney Christ

Sep 3, 2003
Location, Location
I have heard this line so many times now and think its utterly incorrect.

Macca's supposed strength is in running on to through balls. However, he is utterly ABYSMAL in one-on-ones. In fact, when was the last time anyone can remember him scoring a one-on-on?!?!? Buckley gets - and finishes - plenty of one-on-ones, so the idea that we never play that way is also a myth.

Macca's goals come from one-off snapshots or edge of the box strikes. Otherwise, his basic finishing is absolutely shocking. He has scored 10 goals for us this season, but we create about 10 easy chances every game. Its the least he should have scored. Murray or Charlie Austin would have hit about 40 in this side.

Basing our team around Macca is beginning to seriously harm us.

Mutts Nuts

Oct 30, 2011

Macca's supposed strength is in running on to through balls. However, he is utterly ABYSMAL in one-on-ones. In fact, when was the last time anyone can remember him scoring a one-on-on?!?!? Buckley gets - and finishes - plenty of one-on-ones, so the idea that we never play that way is also a myth.

Macca's goals come from one-off snapshots or edge of the box strikes. Otherwise, his basic finishing is absolutely shocking. He has scored 10 goals for us this season, but we create about 10 easy chances every game. Its the least he should have scored. Murray or Charlie Austin would have hit about 40 in this side.

said the same last season and got slated for it ,McSmudger realy is shit at this level

Jul 5, 2003
Polegate

CMS scored a one-on-one against Charlton. Buckley missed a one-on-one against Forest.

The issue is not CMS and his erratic finishing, it's the fact that our other 3 strikers wouldn't look out of place in League 2.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
CMS scored a one-on-one against Charlton. Buckley missed a one-on-one against Forest.

The issue is not CMS and his erratic finishing, it's the fact that our other 3 strikers wouldn't look out of place in League 2.
None of them are good enough for the top 6.

Jul 5, 2003
Polegate
None of them are good enough for the top 6.

Agree. But CMS is quite clearly the best of the bunch - his problem is his transfer fee more than anything else. and that's a Poyet f*** up.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Agree. But CMS is quite clearly the best of the bunch - his problem is his transfer fee more than anything else. and that's a Poyet f*** up.
In terms of ability, you are probably right. He's scored some superb goals this season that Barnes, Dobbie and perhaps Hoskins don't even have in their lockers. However on the other hand, I wouldn't trust him with the simplest of finishes, whereas I would with the other three (and I'm including the pre November 2012 Barnes in that).

As you say, the issue is his fee. We were mugged right off. Tonight he looked like a pub team player who had decided not to drink the night before so he could still run around a lot.

Drumstick

NORTHSTANDER
Jul 19, 2003
Peacehaven
CMS is strong when it's booted up for him to run and chase. We don't do to that he is a great player he just doesn't fit us.

Jimmy Grimble

I appreciate your point. But I remember people on here saying the exact same thing I've highlighted in bold about Murray and Barnes the year we won League One. And - is it stands - CMS is on track to score a similar amount to what they did (individually) that season. Unfortunately for him he's not getting away with stick, because this team isn't as effective as that Champions team was.

Just playing devils advocate for the sake of it. He was poor tonight.

Seagull over Canaryland

Feb 8, 2011
Norfolk
Yes his conversion rate isn't what it should be but CMS is currently the best we have and as mentioned elsewhere is on target for 20 goals this season, we have no one else remotely close to that. I agree that the Club record price tag raises everyone's expectations and must bring pressure on the player but £2.5m is probably about right for a 20 goal Championship player. As for one on one chances he scored a good'un only last week at Charlton. All the time CMS is at The Albion he will get my support.

I wonder if in a few months if when we have splashed £5m on Austin or Graham and they aren't scoring at a rate of 30+ goals plus per season because they aren't playing in a system that suits them whether the whingers will be moaning on here about the player again?

Jul 5, 2003
Polegate
CMS is strong when it's booted up for him to run and chase. We don't do to that he is a great player he just doesn't fit us.

No, he doesn't suit the team Gus has set up, playing dull uneccesary passing across all areas of the pitch while failing to penetrate the opposition. Will many strikers? Probably not.

I suppose at least we can be grateful he's not a lazy knob like Dobbie, then we really would have a complete dud.

mattislost

Dec 12, 2011
i said it last season and i'm going to say it again. he is not good enough for the championship. norwich would be mental to think that he could cut it in the premiership. he has no composure, his first touch is appalling, he can't head the ball, he has zero strength, his passing isn't great etc. what did we actually pay all that money for???

sharpey38

Aug 4, 2011
Denton
Does he get 10 shots per game? Being a striker i'd be happy that he is getting the chances more concerned if he wasn't. Once confidence is returned to the whole squad you watch them fly in.

before the end of the year he will put in a m.o.m performance and grab a few goals and this thread will be long forgotten about

Talk about fickle fans eh

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here