Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The big difference for me today

Ex-Staffs Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Adelaide, SA
We played a good prem side and got beaten comfortably, but in the last few years, that was how we looked against good championship sides, but we have beaten them. It feels like we have taken a step up in a bizaar sort of way. Looking for positives

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
We played a good prem side and got beaten comfortably, but in the last few years, that was how we looked against good championship sides, but we have beaten them. It feels like we have taken a step up in a bizaar sort of way. Looking for positives

I don't think we played a good prem side, I think we played a prem DINOSAUR. If we'd played our normal game and held on to the ball we'd have embarrassed them.

clarkey

Jan 3, 2006
They're a good Prem side in that they've got a way of playing, and its bloody effective. For the moment. We've got a way of playing, the 'right' way of playing, but we weren't up to it today and their defence deserves credit, they set up well. At times in the second half we were dominant, but just couldnt break them down. Im not a fan of all this inverse snobbery, yeah Gus's style is fantastic and I'm honoured its associated with our club, but Stoke are a good prem side even if they're not the best to watch. Sports a results business after all.

the wanderbus

Dec 7, 2004
pogle's wood
good premiership side or dinosaur they are still in the top 10. todays result was no disgrace. i would think plenty of prem sides have been more soundly beaten at stoke without having as much of the game as we did 2nd half ( yes i know stoke had taken their foot off the pedal)

mcshane in the 79th

Nov 4, 2005
With Ankergren, El-abd, Kish, Spaz, Noone and Wood all missing we gave a decent performance, and bar the long ball into the box we were almost their equal. Wood not playing was a huge blow

Chicken Runner61

We stand where we want!
May 20, 2007
We were crap lots of loose balls miss passes and were out fought on most tackles. Hopefully we can learn from this but looking for Positives from that is hard. The best I cancome up with was that we must have had a bad off day

macky

Dec 28, 2004
We were crap lots of loose balls miss passes and were out fought on most tackles. Hopefully we can learn from this but looking for Positives from that is hard. The best I cancome up with was that we must have had a bad off day

some people honestly perhaps they dont understand how gus is doing things His mangament is superb He got exacty what he wanted from today Although i have a feeling he would have liked a goal maybe one day people will learn to trust him

churley1

Oct 13, 2009
Bogota
I watched the game, fair play to Brighton for trying to pass the ball. Stoke though being a Premiership side will always have superior fitness and it was never likely you'd unlock them very often.

Two points you should remember though :

Stoke could of upped their tempo 2nd half and added to their 3 goals, understandably they were happy to sit on that lead.

For anyone who thinks if you'd played you're usual game and would of destroyed them are clearly wrong. They face better passing sides than Brighton week in week out and beat them. Stoke are an ugly side, but I have a begrudging respect for them as they're doing what it takes to stay in the Prem.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
They're a good Prem side in that they've got a way of playing, and its bloody effective. For the moment. We've got a way of playing, the 'right' way of playing, but we weren't up to it today and their defence deserves credit, they set up well. At times in the second half we were dominant, but just couldnt break them down. Im not a fan of all this inverse snobbery, yeah Gus's style is fantastic and I'm honoured its associated with our club, but Stoke are a good prem side even if they're not the best to watch. Sports a results business after all.

Spot on. We have a way of playing - so do some of the teams in the Prem, only better than us. Stoke have got a pretty fair record against them too - they ain't tenth for nothing!

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.
With Ankergren, El-abd, Kish, Spaz, Noone and Wood all missing we gave a decent performance, and bar the long ball into the box we were almost their equal. Wood not playing was a huge blow

As much as I wish we could bar it, that is their main (only?) threat. Like it or not, you can't compare the two teams if you remove their main strength. It would be like comparing teams to "Argentina in the late 80's, bar that little curly-mopped, cheating little shite".

As for the OP, yes, you're right. Step up 2 divisions, play at their fortress, and yes, youy are entitled to be outdone, as many better teams than us suffer the same at their hands.

sydney

tinky ****in winky
Jul 11, 2003
town full of eejits
sounds like some of you have had a reality check..........as soon as the stoke team was published you could see we were in for a torrid afternoon,sorensen,huth,shawcross,etherington ,pennant,carew...ffs fuller and kenny jones on the bench,like some have said they aint top 10 for nowt,they literally battered sunderland into submission at the brittania a couple of weeks ago, most of those players played today,we would have had a chance if they had fielded a shadow team like man u did today ( and almost came undone apparently ). ONWARDS AND UPWARDS:falmer::ascarf:

as for arrogant northerners :nono:

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
If we'd played our normal game and held on to the ball we'd have embarrassed them.
Yes, there are Premiership teams who have thought just that this season too. Trouble for us was that Stoke have proved themselves rather good at coping with that - and, dare I say it, against better teams than us too. Onwards and upwards - but we've still got a bit to go yet!

clarkey

Jan 3, 2006
For anyone who thinks if you'd played you're usual game and would of destroyed them are clearly wrong. They face better passing sides than Brighton week in week out and beat them. Stoke are an ugly side, but I have a begrudging respect for them as they're doing what it takes to stay in the Prem.

You're Palace, but you're spot on. And now Im off to bed feeling slightly ill for agreeing with you.

Finchley Seagull

Feb 25, 2004
North London
I don't think we played a good prem side, I think we played a prem DINOSAUR. If we'd played our normal game and held on to the ball we'd have embarrassed them.

Are you taking the piss? We often struggle against League One sides like that, e.g. Hartlepool away, so how were we suppose to manage against Stoke? They are extremely effective at what they do. Some of our fans are seriously delusional. They are tenth in the Premier League for god's sake.

1234andcounting

Mar 31, 2008
No doubt that Stoke are very effective at what they do, which is a cross between aussie rules football and american football. All stop start and putting the ball long. I don't think I could put up with watching that every week, certainly not at £40 a time. Fair dos to the Stokies though, at least they turned out in reasonable numbers compared with the crowd at Birmingham!

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
some people honestly perhaps they dont understand how gus is doing things His mangament is superb He got exacty what he wanted from today Although i have a feeling he would have liked a goal maybe one day people will learn to trust him

Am I the only one who thinks this post is the biggest bunch of feted dingo's kidneys ever written one here.

" he go exactly what he wanted"

yes I am sure he sat at home in the week mulling over his team and thinking " Do you know what, I really hope we are 3-0 down after 30 minutes and misplace a load of passes, bang the ball downfield to two of teh strongest center backs in the Premiership"

Ok we are out of the cup, but in the first half when we needed to be strong, we were found wanting. yes Stoke are a decent side who play a certain type of football, but the positive from yesterday showed that if we are to aspire to top half of the championship, we need at least 3 to 4 really good players. Tippy tappy football is great in this division, but Stoke sussed our game within 3 minutes!!!

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here