Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] The best we’ve ever played?

Terry Butcher Tribute Act

Aug 18, 2013
Yes, I can think of one OUTSTANDING save he made to prevent a certain goal!
Ah yes he did. 1 save.

We honestly played better at their place. And on Friday.

But the biggest compliment to GPot and the coaches is the way squad/fringe players can drop in when better stars are out and we play the same game regardless against more expensive opponents.

Sent from my SM-G998B using Tapatalk

Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013
Bloody exciting from start to finish

Sent from my SM-A326B using Tapatalk

nickbrighton

Feb 19, 2016
Not the best we have played, but by god, given that that was, ( on paper at least) , our second team we were bloody amazing.

Over the Amex years we have on occasion played some amazing football, but we never ever had the ability to turn it on when missing even two first team players

This season we have been missing on occasion 8 or 9 regular starters for various reasons (like last night) and to anyone not in the know would think the team were our first team playing very well, not second and third choice players .

It was always a bit tongue in cheek when we said we sold our third best CB for £50 million, but on the evidence of some games this year that £50million CB would struggle to even make the bench!

Never before have I seen a Brighton squad that can leave out several genuinely world class players and still play consistently like they are a top 6 club.

Who would ever have believed that there would ever be a time when there would be genuine doubt about Dunk walking straight back into the first team on return from injury?

It is truly the stuff of dreams right now

wolfie

Jul 19, 2003
Warwickshire
Not the best we have played, but by god, given that that was, ( on paper at least) , our second team we were bloody amazing.

Never before have I seen a Brighton squad that can leave out several genuinely world class players and still play consistently like they are a top 6 club.

In 63 years of following the Albion, I've never really considered the likelihood of us actually having any world class players, let alone being able to leave them out ! I think that sums up how good we have become.

Here'sWally

Sep 27, 2021
No but I can rarely recall a time where a Brighton team have played so well as consistently as this, week-in-week out, as all the pundits say.

That's right. We have actually turned a corner. We've played very well at times for a couple of seasons. But what we have not done, which we are doing now, is played well for 90 minutes every week, been rock solid and very hard to create chances against and beat.

It's simply a question of time, time together understanding each other, time working with the coach understanding exactly what he wants. Until now it's always felt like a learning process, like it was 50% trying and 50% learning. It's starting to feel much more like 100% doing now. The players look more comfortable than ever. Much less pausing on the ball weighing up options for 3,4,5,6 seconds.

One of the big differences I felt there was between us and the best sides was that the best sides moved the ball quickly, instinctively, automatically. We seemed to have to juggle thinking and doing and we weren't really doing both at the same time. But we have started to do that, something is clicking and it's great to see.

Couldn't Be Hyypia

We've come a long long way together
NSC Patron
Nov 12, 2006
Near Dorchester, Dorset
Not the best ever, but very high standard. The first three minutes were genuinely some of the best passages of play I have seen any team play. So mezmerising. The Chelski players looked shocked.

Wozza

Shite Supporter
Jul 6, 2003
The best performance against reigning European champions since 1979/80. :thumbsup:

Whitechapel

Famous Last Words
Jul 19, 2014
Not in Whitechapel
If you don’t take the league we’re playing in in to consideration then the best we’ve ever played (imo) was away to Peterborough in L1 under Poyet. Big top of the table clash, their manager bigged it up as a cup final and I don’t think 8-0 would have flattered us that day. Won 3-0, missed a penalty (shock), rattled the woodwork 2 or 3 times and their keeper was MotM

In the Prem? Spurs 3-0, Man City 3-2, Chelsea away this season & Liverpool 1-0 at Anfield are all above yesterday.

Seasider78

Nov 14, 2004
Would throw in the 3-2 win against Man United at the Amex under Hughton into the mix for one nod best PL performances. It was only a 95th min penalty that made that score line look close and we pulled them to pieces all game

Wardy's twin

Oct 21, 2014
have to disagree, we are not 'missing' players as those who have come in have changed our style to being much more fast & fluid though in part have been allowed to do that against an open opposition team. Added to which Cucurella basically filled all the holes , he was everywhere and as said I can't see BDB being shifted form CB role.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
Can't be the best we've ever played if we only drew and had two shots on target !

Thread closed.

Sent from my SM-G986B using Tapatalk

A lot to be said for this. Yes performance wise was undoubtably our best at the Amex this season, however, the best EVER? Ever is a very long time, and l'm sure tere must have been other, better or comparable performances in our 121 year existance.

Now on the other hand if last night's game had resulted in goals, that would have elevated the performance to absolute perfection. Still the one missing piece in the Albion jigsaw for me.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
I was going to say Liverpool. The fact that we had the confidence to get ourselves back into that game away against a team that was on fire and had won its previous 2 league games 5-0, one of which was at Old Trafford, was something special.

At Anfield, the first 40 minutes Liverpool were far superior and could easily have been 3-0 up.

Spuds 3-0 and last night, we showed real quality and confidence for essentially the entire match.

Jeremiah

God is great
Mar 15, 2020
Hove
Chelsea TV would have us believe it was one way traffic...........[video]https://www.chelseafc.com/en/videos/v/2022/01/19/chelsea-share-the-points-with-brighton-at-the-amex---unseen-extr-gZcwj23e[/video]

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here