Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The best footballer to never play in the top flight is......?

Tiptop24

Jan 23, 2007
Chicago, USA
After watching this season it's hard to believe we were watching a player of that quality a couple of seasons ago.

There surely can't be any more players who have played in the Championship and not the Premier League who have had bids of €36 million by a club as big as Real Madrid for them.

I'm still amazed we did the try and get him back once gus left.

The most gifted player I have seen in the stripes.

Mowgli37

Enigmatic Asthmatic
Jan 13, 2013
Sheffield

Unquestionably brilliant but injuries were a big factor in his departure. It was sad that we let him go but we couldn't keep paying what we were for someone who played so little.

countryman

Jun 28, 2011
Unquestionably brilliant but injuries were a big factor in his departure. It was sad that we let him go but we couldn't keep paying what we were for someone who played so little.

Did he say that he was fit for the second half of his last season here but Gus wouldn't play him? I may have made that up though.

Even if he only played a few games, the boost he gave the team when he came on was amazing. Him coming on the pitch was one of the few times the whole of the Amex would start singing. Even if he turned out to be injured most of the time, I still think it would have been worth the money for the those moments of magic when he was on the ball.

Mowgli37

Enigmatic Asthmatic
Jan 13, 2013
Sheffield
Did he say that he was fit for the second half of his last season here but Gus wouldn't play him? I may have made that up though.

Even if he only played a few games, the boost he gave the team when he came on was amazing. Him coming on the pitch was one of the few times the whole of the Amex would start singing. Even if he turned out to be injured most of the time, I still think it would have been worth the money for the those moments of magic when he was on the ball.

I think he did give an interview to the Argus following his departure (which I may still have in my mountain of old sports sections, the trials of being a near hoarder :( ) but I'm wary of any misgivings between the pair leading to a distortion of the facts. If you spoke to Gus he'd probably say something completely different. As a matter of interest, did the club ever run any articles on the website either talking to Vicente or just giving updates on his injury around that time? The existence or non-existence of these would be a good indicator of whether it wasn't just sour grapes.

I totally agree with what you say about the feeling he gave us all but it was just too much money, particularly with FFP looming. It's the sad truth the money dictates the story of football largely these days.

Mowgli37

Enigmatic Asthmatic
Jan 13, 2013
Sheffield

Mo Gosfield

Aug 11, 2010
Didn't he play for Reading?

Yes...thats where he made his name...I've got a mate who watched him regularly and says he was unbelievable. He scored with a volley over his shoulder from 35 yards and the legendary Clive Thomas who was refereeing, forgot to blow his whistle as he was applauding. He went round a keeper once, left him sprawling in the mud, stopped and did the ' V ' sign down at the poor keeper and rolled the ball ever so slowly into the empty net.
He was uncontrollable, a maverick. Charlie Hurley, then manager, would be doing his team talk at 2.45 and suddenly realise that Friday was nowhere to be seen. Needless to say, he was enjoying a pint in the Spread Eagle and Hurley had to despatch someone to fetch him. Hurley sold him to Cardiff because he simply gave up on the bloke. He knew he was a matchwinner but the booze, drugs and birds was just too much.
Friday commuted from Reading to Cardiff and boasted that he never paid a railfare all the time he travelled down to Wales. He would wait to the last seconds as the train was leaving and then vault the barrier and jump onboard. On the train, he would wait for someone to go to the toilet and when they were ensconced, he would stand outside the door and say..." ticket please...just pop it under the door so I can clip it "...on most occasions they would and Friday would pocket the ticket and retire to his seat.
A true legend and if you get the chance, read the book about him..." the best footballer you never saw "
( Fit in nicely today, wouldn't he! )

Mo Gosfield

Aug 11, 2010
There must be someone who was shit-hot in their early 20s playing in the Championship/Division 2 before suffering a career ending injury. A bit like Adam Hinshelwood for us. He could have gone onto become a top end Championship player if it weren't for injury. (I'm not suggesting him, by the way).

That reminds me of Nicky Forster. Did he ever play in the top-flight? Not exactly inspiring but he was a good player in the Championship and later obviously in League One for us.

Many years ago there was a young superstar called Alick Jeffrey. Injury finished him early but at 16 all the big clubs were looking at him.

Mo Gosfield

Aug 11, 2010

I shall treasure some of those Vicente moments to my dying day. He was different class. Amazingly, I still pine for him now. Its like a very slow lingering bereavement. He set my senses on fire. I loved him.

Mowgli37

Enigmatic Asthmatic
Jan 13, 2013
Sheffield
Yes...thats where he made his name...I've got a mate who watched him regularly and says he was unbelievable. He scored with a volley over his shoulder from 35 yards and the legendary Clive Thomas who was refereeing, forgot to blow his whistle as he was applauding. He went round a keeper once, left him sprawling in the mud, stopped and did the ' V ' sign down at the poor keeper and rolled the ball ever so slowly into the empty net.
He was uncontrollable, a maverick. Charlie Hurley, then manager, would be doing his team talk at 2.45 and suddenly realise that Friday was nowhere to be seen. Needless to say, he was enjoying a pint in the Spread Eagle and Hurley had to despatch someone to fetch him. Hurley sold him to Cardiff because he simply gave up on the bloke. He knew he was a matchwinner but the booze, drugs and birds was just too much.
Friday commuted from Reading to Cardiff and boasted that he never paid a railfare all the time he travelled down to Wales. He would wait to the last seconds as the train was leaving and then vault the barrier and jump onboard. On the train, he would wait for someone to go to the toilet and when they were ensconced, he would stand outside the door and say..." ticket please...just pop it under the door so I can clip it "...on most occasions they would and Friday would pocket the ticket and retire to his seat.
A true legend and if you get the chance, read the book about him..." the best footballer you never saw "
( Fit in nicely today, wouldn't he! )

His second to last appearance came at the Goldstone as it happens. Got so pissed off with Lawrenson marking him that he ending up kicking him the face. Charming bloke.

countryman

Jun 28, 2011
I think he did give an interview to the Argus following his departure (which I may still have in my mountain of old sports sections, the trials of being a near hoarder :( ) but I'm wary of any misgivings between the pair leading to a distortion of the facts. If you spoke to Gus he'd probably say something completely different. As a matter of interest, did the club ever run any articles on the website either talking to Vicente or just giving updates on his injury around that time? The existence or non-existence of these would be a good indicator of whether it wasn't just sour grapes.

I totally agree with what you say about the feeling he gave us all but it was just too much money, particularly with FFP looming. It's the sad truth the money dictates the story of football largely these days.

If only the club chose to keep him instead of signing Kemy.

Tiptop24

Jan 23, 2007
Chicago, USA
Vicente is a player you literally build a team around.

If I had barbers job and had vicente number, I'd call him up and say do you want another crack at it next year. He'll be 33 and could give us that quality in the final third.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Vicente. Obviously.

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here