Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The best Brighton team since.....when?

Deano's Invisible Pants

Mar 1, 2008
I'd be interested to hear what NSC considers to be the best generation of Brighton players before this current side. My first ever game was just after we came down from the top flight in 1984, and I believe the side I saw today would beat either Chris Cattlin's team of that year, or Barry Lloyd's team of '91. What do other NSC'ers think?

catfish

North Stand Brighton Boy
Dec 17, 2010
Worthing
I think the promotion winning side of 1978/79 is the finest side I've seen. This is definitely the best team since then.

blue2

Apr 21, 2010
The best Brighton team since.....ever and I have been a regular since the 1970s

big nuts

Jan 15, 2011
Hove
Best team I've seen before the current one was the team that finished the 2002/03 season Such a shame we went on a 10 game losing streak at the beginning of the season under Hinshelwood as this team was class and starting to pick up a lot of points on a regular basis beating some very strong sides.

GK Kuipers
RWB Watson
LWB Brooker
CB Cullip
CB Blackwell
CB Ingimarsson
CM Rodger
CM Sidwell
CM Carpenter
STR Zamora
STR Rougier

Subs from Kitson, Barrett, Mayo, Oatway & Roberts

Moshe Gariani

Mar 10, 2005
In terms of position it is 1991 and the playoffs
It is a fair point to say that the 1991 team were placed higher but I can't help thinking that the current squad of players, including the outrageously good Razak, has the edge.

big nuts

Jan 15, 2011
Hove
It is a fair point to say that the 1991 team were placed higher but I can't help thinking that the current squad of players, including the outrageously good Razak, has the edge.

I think the current side smashes them. Too professional too fit and most importantly better players led by a better manager. Of that team I reckon only Byrne, Small, Gatting & possibly Digweed would have a chance of featuring regularly in our starting eleven.

Moshe Gariani

Mar 10, 2005
I think the current side smashes them. Too professional too fit and most importantly better players led by a better manager. Of that team I reckon only Byrne, Small, Gatting & possibly Digweed would have a chance of featuring regularly in our starting eleven.
That is pretty much what I think too...! I was just being respectful to the 1991 "legends"...

bravohotelalpha

Jan 23, 2011
Good Old Sussex By The Sea
I'd be interested to hear what NSC considers to be the best generation of Brighton players before this current side. My first ever game was just after we came down from the top flight in 1984, and I believe the side I saw today would beat either Chris Cattlin's team of that year, or Barry Lloyd's team of '91. What do other NSC'ers think?

1901 ??? yabba dabba do !!!!! :O

big nuts

Jan 15, 2011
Hove
That is pretty much what I think too...! I was just being respectful to the 1991 "legends"...

There were some legends in that side some real characters. Digweed, Chivers, Crumplin, Walker & Goldstone Gaz I would imagine they were fairly lively off the pitch as well.

Silverhatch

Feb 23, 2009
Preston Park
Nobby vs Bridders, Clarky vs Razak, CMS vs Lawrenson... Today's team is fantastic but not sure they could take the team that got us to Div 1.

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast
The class of 1987-88 will always hold a special place in my heart as it was my 1st full season,90-91 was good and i liked the spirit shown by 1996-97 under S Gritt,but yes this is the best team.

D

Deleted User X18H

Today was the most accomplished performance I have seen from an Albion team at this level.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here