Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The best atmosphere created by a referee at a Brighton game ever - Home and Away

Withdeano

Oct 30, 2010
Horsham
The clown at The Goldstone v. Pompey in the 80's (90's?), who gave so many dodgy decisions in the first half that if it was today, suspicious betting patterns would have been suspected, so we went in at h/t 0-3 down, with him getting dog's abuse as he went down the tunnel, and didn't come out for the second half, citing illness :lolol:

And the irony was that he was replaced in the second half by P.A. Alcock who was himself a ref to rouse emotions. PA lived near me in Redhill at the time and told me that the ref just sat down with his head in his hands and refused to go back out.

Funnily enough I was PA's guest when we lost to Orient at BR in about 1992. He sent Dean Wilkins off for swearing at him. He copped loads of "Whose the winkler in the black" chants and he told me afterwards that as he walked off at h-t Fozzy said "oi ref! They're singing about you!"

Happy days. Anyway, for me it's either Pawson v Burnley or the muppet who reffed the match of missed pens at Selhurst.

West Hoathly Seagull

Honorary Ruffian
Aug 26, 2003
Sharpthorne/SW11
When Andy D'Urso refereed us for a game at Withdean in the 2005-2006 season and gave Leeds a penalty after one of their players fell over Paul Reid's boot. I don't think we ever had a better atmosphere there. It was definitely a boost to us and Gary Hart got an excellent winner. The only trouble was that the then board didn't think the team needed strengthening. Clearly this wasn't the case - we had recently lost Charlie Oatway - Carpenter and Hammond were too similar to work well together, which meant we were light in midfield, and also needed another forward - Hart played at right back for much of that season, as shown by the impact of Gifton Noel-Williams when we eventually signed him.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here