Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The BEST and the WORST places to live in Sussex...?

DNB_Seagull

Dirty Northerner. For now
Apr 27, 2014
Surrey is great, lovely countryside and superb golf courses. I live up the road from North East Surrey crematorium, though I'm in Merton, which is fab (apart from the standard of the local footy team, though 5 promotions in 5 seasons isn't bad). I've even dated a Palace fan, whose entire family are Palace fans. We went to a couple of games at Selhurst Park, but it didn't last. Never did meet the prospective in-laws.

You absolute scummer.

May 27, 2014
Best: Brighton, doesn't need explaining.

Hmmmmm - I think it does. I was brought up in Brighton and my family's roots go back to the 19th century there, but I wouldn't live there now. House prices are absurd and the whole town looks kind of scruffy. London Road used to be a vibrant shopping centre in the 60s - it is now full of aggressive beggars and hard drug users looking for cash.

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
I retract Uckfield.

NEWHAVEN is the worst. UTTERLY UTTERLY DEPRESSING. I only said Uckfield cos i coudnt remember newhaven that night

Newhaven is a dump too...
IMHO
Best : Eastbourne > Great value for money on property and easy access to the amex
Worst : Newhaven - Just nothing good about it apart from proximity to Brighton

Well I have to admit I always thought Newhaven was a bit of a dump, and the ring road/ High Street does need some money spending on it.

But having moved there it's bloody fantastic. There's a real community vibe, a few great pubs and restaurants. It seems to take no longer to get anywhere in Brighton than it did when I lived in and around the centre of Brighton, as you're not so hemmed in (e.g. it took me 22 minutes to drive to Hove Park last night, and takes me 15-20 mins to get to work in Woodingdean)... and you can get a 3/4 bedroom house with beautiful sea views for under £200k (not for long I suspect!) All my fears have been allayed and there's not really anything to complain about (apart from the ring road!) The transport links are great too, just hope the ferry is saved.

To say it's the worst place in Sussex is frankly laughable.

I'd like to nominate Heathfield as the dullest place, though I don't know about "worst". It's obviously very subjective.

super-seagulls

Soup! Why didn’t I get any Soup?
Feb 1, 2011
Probably working!
View attachment 27647View attachment 27647
270819858.jpg

That has to be the worst game of spot the difference I have ever played. :nono:

ATFC Seagull

Aberystwyth Town FC
Jul 27, 2004
(North) Portslade
Worst: Hastings without a doubt

Best: Brighton

Hastings Old Town is lovely. It doesn't make up for the rest of the town, but I'd imagine there are plenty of places without a redeeming feature like that.

Greyrun

Feb 23, 2009
Annoys me when people move from an area to somewhere affordable and then trash there former residence and say how marvellous it is living in dulls ville and how they couldn't ever return.Yes Brighton does have a few downsides but it's a price worth paying to live some where vibrant and not boring.

stripeyshark

All-Time Best Defence
Dec 20, 2011
Hastings always gets a bad press - anyone got anything good to say about it ?

South East Today hate hastings, but it has a lot going for it. The old town is beautiful and the views from the east and west hills are stunning. 4.5 miles of beach with a walkway completely along it is a bonus. Old town carnival week. Bonfire night. Jack in the Green celebrations with 10s of 1000s of motorbikes on the seafront. Pirate day. Live music scene. Great pubs...

StonehamPark

#Brighton-Nil
Oct 30, 2010
BC, Canada
Born in Brighton, raised in Hove.
Don't particularly like either of the above too much. Too dirty and too many tourists.
Going to be unpopular, I know.

Worst:
Whitehawk
Moulescoomb
Falmer
Fishersgate
Portslade
Hollingdean

Best:
Many parts of Mid-Sussex.

ofco8

May 18, 2007
Brighton
Best, where I live in Westdene. Easy access to A27, A23. Bus 27 straight to station (for London) and city centre every 15 minutes. Great views over the Downs and city. Also a great little cafe which is a haunt of many Albion players.
Have also lived in Henfield which was nice when it had a village feel, but now a small town. Not the same.

Worst. well my job takes me to every nook and cranny in the county and whilst it is mostly really nice, there are some individual really scummy parts of all towns.

May 17, 2011
1066 country
Hastings always gets a bad press - anyone got anything good to say about it ?

I've lived in Robertsbridge,Bodiam,Bexhill,RYE,Ticehurst,Battle & now I live in Hastings i've never been happier.
Every village I've lived in has been shite as everyone knows each others business & is full of gossips & inbreds.
Hastings is Great,

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
You absolute scummer.

I lived in Brighton for 16 years. Loved it. Unfortunately now live in Surrey. While the countryside is quite nice the towns are nearly all shockingly dull and full of Daily Mail types. Cannot stand living here. Moving permanently to Cornwall next March and cannot wait to leave Surrey.

The Birdman

Nov 30, 2008
Haywards Heath
The Best is Mid Sussex the worst is Burwash oh that doesn't count its in Kent must be creepy Crawley getting overcrowded with London Fans!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here