Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The beginning of the end.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
I never understand the attitude of people saying we have messed up three previous attempts to go up. Three seasons ago under Oscar Garcia we scraped into the play offs on the last game of the season, with a team that had a lot of injuries and did well to get into the top six, and then lost to a team well above us in the league. Last season we competed amazingly with two teams who had much bigger budgets than us and, despite a horrendous injury record over Christmas, were only goal difference away from promotion before awful injury luck again in the play offs.

So the only season you could argue we screwed up was under Poyet, and that was mainly his fault.

It is not a 'Disney world' view to say this is only one game. We'd won our last two league games before tonight and it is only our fourth loss of the season. We were poor, nobody is arguing with that, but if you can't see why people wouldn't get annoyed by the stupid post from the OP (look at me, over the top reaction) then there's no point discussing it.

This. All the way. I'd add that this is only our 9th loss in 79 I think. And to all those saying this is a turning point, no it isn't, just like the :lolol: win wasn't either. We've got 18 more games to play. We're currently top of the league. Let's just enjoy the ride.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
I remember I got slated last season for suggesting a few poor results would cost us and turned out I was right.
Right about what? Obviously losing points will cost us if we don't go up - that goes without saying.

Too many ppl get on their high horse when ppl suggest ANYTHING other than full praise for our team.
As I said, plenty of people have criticised our performance tonight, including me. We were shit. We all know that. So you're wrong, it's ok to post something other than full praise. That's not what the OP said though, he posted nonsense.

Paul Barber nailed it when he said about being top now means nothing if we are not there at the end of the season (very rough quote granted)
We all know that. Ok, not all, but most of us.

we ain't achieved nothing yet and all I see on here and on Twitter is fairyland way before anything has been won.
I agree, which is why I constantly make posts along those lines, criticising people for acting like we're promoted already. There's a long way to go yet.

Last edited:

Claretnblue

Apr 29, 2016
Fair point u were posssessed against the 2nd biggest club in Yorkshire lol. Huddersfield reminded me of us under Coyle tonight ... brilliant on their day but ultimately not consistent enough and will come up short with about 75 points.

LVGull

May 13, 2016
Right about what? Obviously losing points will cost us if we don't go up - that goes without saying.

As I said, plenty of people have criticised our performance tonight, including me. We were shit. We all know that. So you're wrong, it's ok to post something other than full praise. That's not what the OP said though, he posted nonsense.

We all know that.

I agree, which is why I constantly make posts along those lines, criticising people for acting like we're promoted already. There's a long way to go yet.

You love to quote.

Claretnblue

Apr 29, 2016
In response to the comment re Joey Barton we could also bring up Keanes ghost goal ... 2-2 a fair result on the day I thought .

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
It would appear that your side may have a 'soft underbelly' as highlighted by Keanes last minute equaliser for us last year
Your team were kicking us all game and the ref let you get away with it. Barton should have been sent off. Had he have been, we'd have won. You were dangerous from set pieces, which got you the equaliser. Not because of us being soft.

and tonight's result when the pressure is on to get a result.
The pressure was no more tonight than most of the other games.

Whilst you had far more flair than us last year (which worried me and other clarets? Ultimately grit saw us through
Ultimately we were denied by some poor refereeing decisions.

Good luck guys! :)
Thanks.

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
This. All the way. I'd add that this is only our 9th loss in 79 I think. And to all those saying this is a turning point, no it isn't, just like the :lolol: win wasn't either. We've got 18 more games to play. We're currently top of the league. Let's just enjoy the ride.
Enjoy the ride? Are you insane? I can only presume you're the only one in nappies with such frivolous commentary as that! Enjoy the ride...yeah,good one! :)

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
Were you watching the play offs last season? We had four injuries in an hour in the away leg and then they scored a goal that should have been disallowed at home. But you know that anyway.
I do. But my point is, all things being equal, why didn't we get so lucky against Derby if they were by far the better team? It's actually quite easy...they're not called Brighton. We don't win as under or over dogs!

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
I never understand the attitude of people saying we have messed up three previous attempts to go up. Three seasons ago under Oscar Garcia we scraped into the play offs on the last game of the season, with a team that had a lot of injuries and did well to get into the top six, and then lost to a team well above us in the league. Last season we competed amazingly with two teams who had much bigger budgets than us and, despite a horrendous injury record over Christmas, were only goal difference away from promotion before awful injury luck again in the play offs.
Exactly.

It is not a 'Disney world' view to say this is only one game. We'd won our last two league games before tonight and it is only our fourth loss of the season. We were poor, nobody is arguing with that, but if you can't see why people wouldn't get annoyed by the stupid post from the OP (look at me, over the top reaction) then there's no point discussing it.
Indeed.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
In response to the comment re Joey Barton we could also bring up Keanes ghost goal ... 2-2 a fair result on the day I thought .

No ghosts about that goal. But you know the game well enough to realise that if Barton had seen red, which he should have done, you'd have played the last c30 minutes with ten men. And then Keane's first goal might not have happened. Nor his second.
It sounds like sour grapes, but our other fantastic CM did see red against the other team that got promoted, for having the temerity of winning a 50-50 ball, rather than just stamping on an opponent like your resident philosopher did.

Finchley Seagull

Feb 25, 2004
North London
No ghosts about that goal. But you know the game well enough to realise that if Barton had seen red, which he should have done, you'd have played the last c30 minutes with ten men. And then Keane's first goal might not have happened. Nor his second.
It sounds like sour grapes, but our other fantastic CM did see red against the other team that got promoted, for having the temerity of winning a 50-50 ball, rather than just stamping on an opponent like your resident philosopher did.

I agree with all of this, except for the Stephens tackle. It was an 80/20 tackle in Stephens' favour (hence he won the ball long before Ramirez came along)

Claretnblue

Apr 29, 2016
Your team were kicking us all game and the ref let you get away with it. Barton should have been sent off. Had he have been, we'd have won. You were dangerous from set pieces, which got you the equaliser. Not because of us being soft.

The pressure was no more tonight than most of the other games.

Kicking you - we had an exemplary disciplinary record last yr as we have this year.
Poor decisions - we all suffer them I.e arsenal home and away this year.
Good luck - your welcome .

It really wasn't a dig , whilst I want u to win promotion because u deserve it , it would be easier for me to root for Reading etc because they would make our lives easier next yr (I.e I don't think you will struggle because of your attacking quality) . Like I said not meant as controversial guys.

OzMike

Oct 2, 2006
Perth Australia
I did state in a previous thread that apart from Newcastle, our main threat would be from Huddersfield and was promptly denigrated.
I still believe this and the addition of players to their squad in the January window was pivotal, as they gave a good account of themselves in their first game with Hudds.
I believe that we will pick up the points we need for promotion against the teams in the lower half of the table and even against at least 3 of the top 6.
We should treat it as a wake up call, a close hard fought 1 - 0 loss is one thing, but to lose 3 - 1 again is a worry, especially as they were all over us.
The same as Lincoln were against our second stream.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Kicking you - we had an exemplary disciplinary record last yr as we have this year.
I'm not looking at your play over the year, I'm talking about the crucial home game against us.

Poor decisions - we all suffer them I.e arsenal home and away this year.
Poor decisions don't even out. I saw your game against Arsenal, and that biased **** Henry who doesn't even know the rules. You were robbed. Will that even out over the season? Too early to tell. We get our share of decisions for and against. Last year there were a few more crucial ones against us, while I know you got a few more go your way. For example you got a winner near the end of the season against QPR I think following a dive outside the box by Gray. At the end we had the Barton incident, the Stephens vs Ramirez (and his subsequent ban) and then Sheffield's equaliser that even they admitted shouldn't have been given.

It really wasn't a dig
I didn't take it as a dig. You think it was all fair, I'm just explaining why I don't.

Claretnblue

Apr 29, 2016
We played nervously against qpr and won 1 nil thanks to vokes , gray didn't dive I don't think. That's last season anyway ... u guys must be enjoying Karankas melt down at boro as much as us ?

How's Duffy been for you guys this year? I nearly spat my drink out when you signed him. He's been a liability for rovers against us each time we've played em ? (Just watch highlights of our games last year) admittedly he's looked solid when Iv seen you but like I said no bha expert . Maybe Dunk is guiding him through?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here