Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The bedroom tax more unpopular than the poll tax?

c0lz

North East Stand.
Jan 26, 2010
Patcham/Brighton
The bedroom tax more unpopular than the poll tax ?

Cut in Housing Benefit (for tenants of social landlords) of 14% of rent for those with one extra bedroom and 25% of rent for those with 2 or more spare bedrooms

Applies equally to those in and out of work.
Doesn’t apply to pensioners
No provision for those who have child only on weekends (must register as main parent)
No Provision for houses where bedroom is only a single, so is arguably making overcrowding mandatory
Average cut for a social housing tenant will be £16 per week
Children under 10 expected to share a room
Children under 16 expected to share room if the same sex
Severely disabled tenants allowed one extra room for overnight carer
Disabled people have been allocated £25 million of discretionary payments to help them remain in adapted homes
Bedroom tax is already in place for those in privately rented accommodation but will apply to social housing tenants from April 2013
It is possible that people with one extra bedroom, who can’t be allocated smaller accommodation, will not face penalties, though this remains to be seen
DWP impact assessment indicates that there is not enough housing of an adequate size for people to be moved into appropriate properties
DWP assessment indicates that 31% (660,000) of social housing tenants will have their Housing Benefit cut as a result of this change
North West 43% of people affected as compared to 26% in the South East
52% of those affected said that it would make their financial situation incredibly difficult
72% of households affected have someone living there who is disabled (Affinity Sutton Housing Trust), DWP stats say 66%
More tenants are going to end up in arrears of rent as they are unable to make payments, this will result in many people being made homeless and moved out of social housing.

It is possible that people with one extra bedroom, who can’t be allocated smaller accommodation, will not face penalties, though this remains to be seen

Some other links and tips i hope your find useful
---------------------------------------

Housing Act 1985 sec 326 states that rooms under a certain size are not classed as bedrooms.
Housing Act 1985

Floor area of room Number of persons
110 sq. ft. or more 2
90 sq. ft. or more but less than 110 sq.ft. 1½
70 sq. ft. or more but less than 90 sq. ft. 1
50 sq. ft. or more but less than 70 sq. ft. ½

-----------------------------------------

Bedroom Tax...think its unfair...join the fight here

https://www.facebook.com/groups/antibedroomtax/

-------------------------------------------
Carers UK .. the voice of carers
Housing benefit size criteria rule: the | Carers UK

----------------------------------------
Find out more about the bedroom tax, the part of welfare reform that will cut the amount of benefit that people can get if they are considered to have a spare bedroom.

Bedroom Tax - National Housing Federation

------------------------------------------
Huge loophole in 'bedroom tax'

Huge loophole in 'bedroom tax' | UK | News | Daily Express

-----------------------------------------

Last edited:

maltaseagull

Feb 25, 2009
Zabbar- Malta
Poll Tax, and yes it's a f***ing ridiculous tax.

Did you miss this?

The poll tax, was a system of taxation introduced in replacement of the rates to part fund local government in Scotland from 1989, and England and Wales from 1990. It provided for a single flat-rate per-capita tax on every adult, at a rate set by the local authority. The tax was replaced by Council Tax in 1993.[

:)

Titus

Come on!
Feb 21, 2010
Up here on the left.
Anyway I think it's a great idea. It's the easiest and cheapest way to free up homes. It mainly affects benefit claimers anyway and beggars can't be choosers.

c0lz

North East Stand.
Jan 26, 2010
Patcham/Brighton
Anyway I think it's a great idea. It's the easiest and cheapest way to free up homes. It mainly affects benefit claimers anyway and beggars can't be choosers.

slap_zps7f12c480.gif

viscentaye

Jun 26, 2012

Agree with this. I pay my fair share, more so since the changes to child benefit and aside from the cash implications, i don't have any objections to this in principle. I know many who live in council places way bigger than what they need and others who have expanded their existing brood, purely to get a bugger place off the Council. I just work hard and try to provide for my family without taking from the Govt, maybe I got it all wrong all those years ago!

Thanks for the information colz. The local council haven't exactly been forthcoming with this information to it's residents.

Ernest

Stupid IDIOT
Nov 8, 2003
LOONEY BIN
The problem is where are all these 1 bedroom social housing properties for those with extra bedrooms to move into ? If they have to move into private housing for the one bedroom place I dare say the housing benefit bill will rise considerably.

Another well planned and well thought out idea by our competent government.

c0lz

North East Stand.
Jan 26, 2010
Patcham/Brighton
Agree with this. I pay my fair share, more so since the changes to child benefit and aside from the cash implications, i don't have any objections to this in principle. I know many who live in council places way bigger than what they need and others who have expanded their existing brood, purely to get a bugger place off the Council. I just work hard and try to provide for my family without taking from the Govt, maybe I got it all wrong all those years ago!

This tax does nothing to those who exploit the system as they can rent out these rooms at £100 plus with out affecting there benefits

Who it does affect is

The poor the disabled and now i'm informed Forster children those who have lived in they're properties all there life's etc, not every one have had the choices you take for granted.

HastingsSeagull

Jan 13, 2010
BGC Manila
Buy less fags and booze and do without sky tv and foreign holidays and you might afford a house that's appropriate. Being just given a house too big for you is not fair. If single people are being given 2 bed houses I'd like the government to pay to upgrade my 1 bed I can afford to a 3 bed place free of charge please! Room for my computer and a room for the cat........ sorted :thumbsup:

Oh and if the government are also going to give me a load of money for doing nothing, I'll happilly give £16 of it back to them

viscentaye

Jun 26, 2012
This tax does nothing to those who exploit the system as they can rent out these rooms at £100 plus with out affecting there benefits

Who it does affect is

The poor the disabled and now i'm informed Forster children those who have lived in they're properties all there life's etc, not every one have had the choices you take for granted.

I should have expanded but I do agree that there needs to be a carve out for those such as disabled, those on the breadline etc, absolutely.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here