Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Food] The BBQ debate: briquettes vs lumpwood

TomandJerry

Oct 1, 2013
My friend is thinking about doing a BBQ this weekend and wants to know which to use, he's had multiple opinions but wants to know what the great sages on here think

Sent from my Pixel 6 using Tapatalk

el punal

Briquettes v Lumpwood?

Both teams have qualified for next season’s preliminary round of the Europa League. Briquettes, the plucky little Belgian side, have played attractive possession football to get this far. Lumpwood, the German team from Bavaria, are a solid, no-nonsense defensive outfit who try to outmuscle opponents.

In this matchup Lumpwood will start well but tend to fade. Briquettes, on the other hand, will take a long time to get going but when they do will dominate to the end. :cheers:

spongy

Aug 7, 2011
Burgess Hill
With the weather being as it is and a rather late decision to have one I'd go with whatever is left on the shelves. They both get hot and cook food.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Weber briquettes, wait until they have gone grey and you can put your hand above them for a second or two before putting the food on :thumbsup:

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
It depends on a few factors. What are you cooking, how much are you cooking, what equipment (type of bbq) are you using, and what’s your level of experience.

The experienced would, in my experience, use lumpwood, but both work well in a kettle style bbq for cooking burgers and sausages. If you’re going for a long cook, a chicken or pulled pork for example, then briquettes will give a longer burn in a bbq with a lid. If you’re cooking something more fancy or delicate such as marinated chicken, fish or vegetables, I think lumpwood gives a better taste. If you’re using a ceramic egg type of bbq then only ever use lumpwood. If you are going for briquettes, try the coconut husk ones, they seem to burn very evenly with minimal environmental impact.

JonnyCLately

Jan 16, 2018
Shoreham by sea
It depends on a few factors. What are you cooking, how much are you cooking, what equipment (type of bbq) are you using, and what’s your level of experience.

The experienced would, in my experience, use lumpwood, but both work well in a kettle style bbq for cooking burgers and sausages. If you’re going for a long cook, a chicken or pulled pork for example, then briquettes will give a longer burn in a bbq with a lid. If you’re cooking something more fancy or delicate such as marinated chicken, fish or vegetables, I think lumpwood gives a better taste. If you’re using a ceramic egg type of bbq then only ever use lumpwood. If you are going for briquettes, try the coconut husk ones, they seem to burn very evenly with minimal environmental impact.

Tried the coconut husk version this week and they're fantastic - light easily and burn plenty long enough for three cooks - eg starters and a big old burger fest x2 - I have recently switched to Oxford Charcoal and they're easily the best fuels I have used. The charcoal burns forever and is chemical free so the taste is bang on the money. Smoked a Brisket yesterday and it is honestly the best barbecue food I've had

Bakero

Languidly clinical
Oct 9, 2010
Almería
Takeaway. bbq’s are a disappointing faff.

I've had two this week. Neither were disappointing nor a faff.

Screenshot_2022-04-16-10-42-55-437_com.miui.gallery.jpg

IMG-20220414-WA0002.jpg

Screenshot_2022-04-16-10-41-34-382_com.miui.gallery.jpg

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
I use both.

Lumpwood base, briquettes on top. Lumpwood burns faster and more intense, briquettes for a slower burn. Happy to work with either though, and nice to see the OP's friend eschews the use of GAS - truly the packeted grated cheese of BBQs.

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath
I always use a good quality lumpwoop.

The flavour is better IMHO and I know where I'm at with timings and controlling the temp. I think if I switched between fuel types I'd eventually cock it up.

JJ McClure

Go Jags
Jul 7, 2003
Hassocks
I'm doing a double BBQ weekend.
Today will be burgers, sausages and quesadillas for friends all done on the Blackstone griddle. And yes sorry to all the anti-gassers out there but it really is a great bit of kit that you can cook pretty much anything on.
Tomorrow will be a shoulder of lamb done on the smoker for several hours so briquettes with some woodchips and a water bath on the go.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here