Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] The BBC Price of Football Survey 2015

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
£10 a week. Hardly expensive.

£520/23 for the cheapest/worst seats in the house AND only if you make a year long commitment? Expensive and probably prohibitive to newcomers.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Bit of an overstatement to say 'wealthy' - my gym membership at Virgin active costs me 40% more per month.

Arguing your gym membership is more expensive is NOT going to convince me football is still the domain of the working class man.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
So how did we end up getting 16000 new supporters since Withdean?

Fair point. My angle is the working class. Bad choice of word from me. My point is that the current high prices possibly now exclude a section of society traditionally associated with the game we love and youngsters/the next generation.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
So how did we end up getting 16000 new supporters since Withdean?

I wonder how many of those 'new' supporters were older, and wouldn't sit at Withdean in all weathers? A season ticket in the North stand for an over 65 is £217 with interest free direct debit.
What's not to like?

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
I hate the self-congratulatory BBC back-slapping that comes with the useless survey every season. Not a bad thing to keep pressure on so prices stay/get reasonable but the figures they quote most of the time are meaningless out of context.

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
Fair point. My angle is the working class. Bad choice of word from me. My point is that the current high prices possibly now exclude a section of society traditionally associated with the game we love and youngsters/the next generation.
What does working class mean these days? Is it to do with income or background?

Brighton has never been a traditional 'working class' town as far as I can tell.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Brighton has never been a traditional 'working class' town as far as I can tell.

We are talking about Brighton supporter base which spreads far beyond Brighton. I'd argue that Brighton has huge areas of working class. And Sussex certainly does.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
How do you work it out at £10.00 per week?

The cheapest season ticket is £465.00

If you're working that figure out weekly, it's £20.21p per week based on 23 games, more than double your figure.

Unless I've missed something?

You pay it over a year, therefore 52 weeks. The direct debit doesn't just run from August to May.

Jul 21, 2015
:(

_86129831_nl.jpg

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
We are talking about Brighton supporter base which spreads far beyond Brighton. I'd argue that Brighton has huge areas of working class. And Sussex certainly does.
I think this is where definitions of working class and a working class town differ. I'm not saying either is right or wrong, but my definition of a working class town is one where there are large blue collar industries that employ a significant proportion of the town's working age population. This does not apply to anywhere in Sussex. Who is the largest employer in Brighton itself for example - it's Amex, isn't it?

StonehamPark

#Brighton-Nil
Oct 30, 2010
BC, Canada
You pay it over a year, therefore 52 weeks. The direct debit doesn't just run from August to May.

The cheapest season ticket is £465.00
That's £20.21p per game (23 weeks).

You can make that figure look lower if you feel the urge to, by spreading it out over 52 weeks, but that's a rubbish spin.
The extra 29 weeks you're paying £10.00 p/w for no product/service is only being added to the original 23 weeks payments.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here