Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] The Award-winning official "More Snow Tomorrow?" Thread [2023-24 Season]

Yoda

English & European
Don't think the cold will under cut quick enough, but looking at the 06z GFS run, it's looking very interesting from the following weekend onwards (long way out yet).

carteater

Jan 1, 2014
West Sussex
The GFS 06Z run is crazy :eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

graphe3_1000_308_170___.gif

It has ensemble support, however not as extreme as that.

Peteinblack

NSC Patron
Jun 3, 2004
Bath, Somerset.
Has the Daily Express favoured us with its forecast yet?

Blue sky and mild here.

The Excess forecast a Siberian winter with killer blizzards back in September, and the previous September, and the previous September.....

Before Easter, the Excess will be predicting a barbecue summer - as it does every March :lolol:

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
Still lots of cold / snowy potential in the model data at the moment, but still a lot of variation.

What we can say is that we'll get an introduction of much colder air (behind a descending front) during NYD, which will give snow further north. There's an outside chance of some snow showers behind that, but nothing significant here.

After that, the big question is whether we get a repeat, this time with much colder air. The key factor is whether the UK high pressure that develops by Tuesday draws away W to NW allowing a Northerly and then North Easterly feed. It's all to play for.

graphe_ens3_uur9.gif

Papa Lazarou

Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
Today's 6Z Operational run, though not as insane as yesterday's still shows the 2nd cold push, followed (in this case) by a possible Easterly.

tempresult_yym4.gif

This is just one of the colder members... but as always there are milder options.

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006
No snow due for sussex, just cold crisp days and frosty nights for a couple of weeks before the SW return

Accepting we cannot be sure and nothing imminently due for Sussex in terms of snow, but although there is a colder northerly drag within a reliable timeframe and some longer term colder evolution outside of a reliable timeframe, where is this return of SW's after a couple of weeks within the current data ??

Yoda

English & European
Accepting we cannot be sure and nothing imminently due for Sussex in terms of snow, but although there is a colder northerly drag within a reliable timeframe and some longer term colder evolution outside of a reliable timeframe, where is this return of SW's after a couple of weeks within the current data ??

It doesn't need to be, Uncle Spielberg said so. Nothing but SW's all winter long.

Stoichkov

The Miserable Bulgarian
Jul 26, 2004
Brighton
The thing with those netweather forums - they're always talking about stuff around '9 days away'.

When the cold stuff doesn't arrive - they're not bothered, they're simply off and talking about the blizzard due 'in 9 days time'

I have a quick dip into them to get a quick overview then refer to papa here for some sense.

If I want someone to say it'll be SW's for the next 100 years - I search out some US posts

Papa Lazarou

Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
The thing with those netweather forums - they're always talking about stuff around '9 days away'.

When the cold stuff doesn't arrive - they're not bothered, they're simply off and talking about the blizzard due 'in 9 days time'

I have a quick dip into them to get a quick overview then refer to papa here for some sense.

If I want someone to say it'll be SW's for the next 100 years - I search out some US posts

TheWeatherOutlook Forum is much better.

http://www.theweatheroutlook.com/twocommunity/default.aspx?g=topics&f=2

larus

Yeah, but I ignore any ramp ups which are more than 120 hours out. Too much changes and models are only software programs with bugs, assumptions and bias (same as the Climate models lol).

Papa Lazarou

Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
The Met Office are coming round to the idea.

Outlook for the UK over the next 6-30 days

UK Outlook for Wednesday 4 Jan 2017 to Friday 13 Jan 2017:

Wednesday will be mostly cloudy across the UK, with patchy light rain and drizzle at times, mainly over hills and coasts in the north and west, whilst mostly dry elsewhere. Rain will be moving south-eastwards on Thursday, introducing brighter and colder conditions, with some wintry showers across the far north, these extending southwards. A colder north to north-easterly is likely to become established from Friday onwards, with frequent wintry showers across northern and eastern parts of the UK, particularly down the North Sea coasts. However, there will be a good deal of dry and sunny weather elsewhere. Some cold and clear nights, with widespread frost and the risk of icy patches. Some cloudier, milder interludes are possible at times, particularly in the west. Temperatures generally below the average throughout.

Updated at: 1302 on Fri 30 Dec 2016

UK Outlook for Saturday 14 Jan 2017 to Saturday 28 Jan 2017:

Latest suggestions favour a continuation of a very 'blocked' pattern, with drier and colder than normal conditions across the UK, and an increasing risk of fog and frost. However, we are likely to see brief, milder and wetter conditions at times. Generally, temperatures are expected to be below the average. There is a low risk of very cold conditions developing should the 'blocked' pattern persist, allowing a colder easterly flow to become established, with associated threat of snow in places.

Updated at: 1302 on Fri 30 Dec 2016

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
I'm liking (as a lover of milder weather) the difference between yesterday's GFS and today's run for next Friday.
Yesterday:
4f65fa1eb5ee0a2b7a74524ac0fdf48c.jpg

Today:
ef0da4d6355c13537ea87dfca40737b9.jpg

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here