Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] The Award-winning official "More Snow Tomorrow?" Thread [2023-24 Season]

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
https://business.weather.com/news/e...ason-cold-a-sign-of-further-wintry-conditions

This would seem to go directly against the Met Office message of early winter being colder. It does offer a colder second half though.

I'd put that down to the blocking being in slightly the wrong place at the moment. The talk of a SSW is very encouraging though. To issue a word of caution though, all these encouraging signs are worth nothing if they don't convert into synoptic patterns. A SSW plus a weak polar vortex plus northerly blocking and massive plunges of polar air into mid latitudes still could deliver a mild winter, as we've seen many occasions in the past with snow in Athens and even as far as Isreal whilst we sit on the wrong side of the block in mild air.

I await a clear signal on the ensemble plots to show where December is likely to go.

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patron
May 8, 2007
Toronto
First mini FLUMPING here yesterday. Should be a sign of things to come :clap2:

They're talking about this turning into a Daily Express style winter. Probably more likely here in Toronto than in South East England.

smeg

Feb 11, 2013
BN13
I'd put that down to the blocking being in slightly the wrong place at the moment. The talk of a SSW is very encouraging though. To issue a word of caution though, all these encouraging signs are worth nothing if they don't convert into synoptic patterns. A SSW plus a weak polar vortex plus northerly blocking and massive plunges of polar air into mid latitudes still could deliver a mild winter, as we've seen many occasions in the past with snow in Athens and even as far as Isreal whilst we sit on the wrong side of the block in mild air.

I await a clear signal on the ensemble plots to show where December is likely to go.

So if we do get a scenario that pans out where we do get cold air would we experience weather similar to 2009?

Bigtomfu

Jul 25, 2003
Harrow

Seems like all the talk of SSW was somewhat premature as zonal winds reverse and potentially less negative NAO than first forecast on the horizon. Balls.

Jack Straw

I look nothing like him!
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton. NOT KEMPTOWN!

Taybha

Whalewhine
Oct 8, 2008
Uwantsumorwat
Has it actually snowed since the conception of this thread ? i mean a good old flumparama , not the 1cm and public transport shudders to a halt pish .

Papa Lazarou

Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
Has it actually snowed since the conception of this thread ? i mean a good old flumparama , not the 1cm and public transport shudders to a halt pish .

I believe Flumpage has been reported an many occasions on this thread.

Djmiles

Barndoor Holroyd
Dec 1, 2005
Kitchener, Canada
This thread always brings back good memories. I think the first 2 winters this thread covered had some excellent flumpage!

Papa Lazarou

Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
This thread always brings back good memories. I think the first 2 winters this thread covered had some excellent flumpage!

2010 and 2011. Even 2012 was OK. The last two have been shocking for lovers of snow.

Papa Lazarou

Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
2013 was pretty good as well. Then I got bored by the time it snowed in early April.

13/14
14/15
and 15/16 have been shite for snow. Although there was a little bit in January this year I think?

Unless it's usable snow, what's the point?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here