Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] The Award-winning official "More Snow Tomorrow?" Thread [2023-24 Season]

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patron
May 8, 2007
Toronto
You might think so. Or climate change is starting to 'kick in' for the temperate latitudes, follow a few colder winters?

Remember after Feb 1991 we went many many years without any proper winter / snowy conditions... with a few not particularly memorable exceptions. We then had the period 2010 - 2013 - with 3 good winters.. perhaps we're back to the new normal?

I remember it well. I was 7 in 1991, so for most of my time at school we had crap winters with no snow days :down:

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
I remember it well. I was 7 in 1991, so for most of my time at school we had crap winters with no snow days :down:

Yep, before 1991 we'd also had a barren period from about 1986 or 7. Cold / snowy winters at definitely not the norm at our latitude and position adjacent to the warm Atlantic.

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patron
May 8, 2007
Toronto
Yep, before 1991 we'd also had a barren period from about 1986 or 7. Cold / snowy winters at definitely not the norm at our latitude and position adjacent to the warm Atlantic.

I think there's a better chance of proper FLUMPING where I am now though! Last winter was a bit pants though, stupid El Nino ruining our fun.

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006

My kids were born in 92 and 96, there came a time when I could hardly see a time when they would even go sledging, it was all so mild, horrible stuff.

Then 2010 - 2013 like the late 70's and 80's for me, when there was already decent snow lying and some more on the way, the anticipation of snowdays down the pub with families, brilliant stuff, remember sitting in a pub with friends and families on one particular day in 2010 perhaps and looking outside early evening and it had started another bout of blizzard, knowing no chance of work the next day ;)

Frankie

Put him in the curry
May 23, 2016
Mid west Wales
For Sale , Unused .

sledge%20group-960x960.jpg

Papa Lazarou

Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
My kids were born in 92 and 96, there came a time when I could hardly see a time when they would even go sledging, it was all so mild, horrible stuff.

Then 2010 - 2013 like the late 70's and 80's for me, when there was already decent snow lying and some more on the way, the anticipation of snowdays down the pub with families, brilliant stuff, remember sitting in a pub with friends and families on one particular day in 2010 perhaps and looking outside early evening and it had started another bout of blizzard, knowing no chance of work the next day ;)

almost poetic. Totally agree. I adore snow.

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
Is there a record of snowfall per location for the last century (or at least the last 40 years) anywhere?

I am convinced that we had more snow in the 70's and 80's when I was at school in Worthing but would like to prove it.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
No, there'll be a little bit of frost and southern will cancel all the trains. Ice on tracks.
Boxing Day trains. Whatever next. It'll just be the hourly service between Brighton and London and whatever Barber can organise to the stadium.
Not much for them to cancel.

larus

You might think so. Or climate change is starting to 'kick in' for the temperate latitudes, follow a few colder winters?

Remember after Feb 1991 we went many many years without any proper winter / snowy conditions... with a few not particularly memorable exceptions. We then had the period 2010 - 2013 - with 3 good winters.. perhaps we're back to the new normal?

The problem IMO, is that climate "scientists" are trying to extrapolate "trends" in data over a short time scale and look for patterns linked to an small increase in CO2. The level of CO2 is not really that high (it's been up to 7000 ppm in the past and the planet didn't overheat).

In the 70's we were told by climate "scientists" that we were entering a new ice age. Now, we're being told that the planet is doomed if we don't restrict CO2 in the atmosphere to 450 ppm. However, the reality is we don't understand the science. We're scratching the surface.

We're now entering a cooling phase in the AMO/PDO, and the sun in in a quiet phase. The satellite datasets of temperature don't agree that this is the hottest year "evah". Too much historical data gets adjusted to make the past look colder. This has been another large El Nino, yet Arctic sea ice has not hit another new low (which we would expect if it was on a "death spiral" as we have been told numerous times). The arctic sea ice minimum was early this year, which show that temperatures in the arctic were colder at the end of the melt season than in previous years. All this crap about navigating the northwest passage; christ, it's been done in the past without the need for ice-breakers so it's nothing special.

North Atlantic sea temperatures are now colder, so I wouldn't be surprised to see a cold winter, especially now that El Nino conditions have turned to neutral and may turn to La Nina.

If people only get their climate view from the main stream media (or from Al Gores film) then they're believing in an agenda.

Papa Lazarou

Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
The problem IMO, is that climate "scientists" are trying to extrapolate "trends" in data over a short time scale and look for patterns linked to an small increase in CO2. The level of CO2 is not really that high (it's been up to 7000 ppm in the past and the planet didn't overheat).

In the 70's we were told by climate "scientists" that we were entering a new ice age. Now, we're being told that the planet is doomed if we don't restrict CO2 in the atmosphere to 450 ppm. However, the reality is we don't understand the science. We're scratching the surface.

We're now entering a cooling phase in the AMO/PDO, and the sun in in a quiet phase. The satellite datasets of temperature don't agree that this is the hottest year "evah". Too much historical data gets adjusted to make the past look colder. This has been another large El Nino, yet Arctic sea ice has not hit another new low (which we would expect if it was on a "death spiral" as we have been told numerous times). The arctic sea ice minimum was early this year, which show that temperatures in the arctic were colder at the end of the melt season than in previous years. All this crap about navigating the northwest passage; christ, it's been done in the past without the need for ice-breakers so it's nothing special.

North Atlantic sea temperatures are now colder, so I wouldn't be surprised to see a cold winter, especially now that El Nino conditions have turned to neutral and may turn to La Nina.

If people only get their climate view from the main stream media (or from Al Gores film) then they're believing in an agenda.

I used to feel that way, but I now am convinced that the evidence that increased CO2 is changing the climate (increased temperature, more extreme weather events) and that the data supports this. The vast vast vast majority of scientists who work in climate science / meteorology agree on this.

I hope you are right, but I feel to hope that the problem will go away is foolish, especially given the possible outcome of not trying to mitigate the effect.

Even in a generally warming global climate, WE, in the UK, can still, and will still get cold winters. After all, we're on the same latitude as many parts of the world that experience bitter winters as a matter of course:

London 51degee 30 N
Calgary 51. 03N
Adak, Alaska 51.34N
Krakow, Poland 50.34N
Irkutsk, Russia 52.19N
Kiev, Ukraine 50.27N

The influence of the Atlantic, combined with the prevailing Westerly winds at our latitude makes us considerably warmer than we otherwise would be (and cooler in the summer). One theorised upshot of the arctic ice melt could in fact disrupt the Gulf Stream (part of the larger Thermo-Haline circulation) which could make Western Europe much colder... potentially.

larus

I used to feel that way, but I now am convinced that the evidence that increased CO2 is changing the climate (increased temperature, more extreme weather events) and that the data supports this. The vast vast vast majority of scientists who work in climate science / meteorology agree on this.

I hope you are right, but I feel to hope that the problem will go away is foolish, especially given the possible outcome of not trying to mitigate the effect.

Even in a generally warming global climate, WE, in the UK, can still, and will still get cold winters. After all, we're on the same latitude as many parts of the world that experience bitter winters as a matter of course:

London 51degee 30 N
Calgary 51. 03N
Adak, Alaska 51.34N
Krakow, Poland 50.34N
Irkutsk, Russia 52.19N
Kiev, Ukraine 50.27N

The influence of the Atlantic, combined with the prevailing Westerly winds at our latitude makes us considerably warmer than we otherwise would be (and cooler in the summer). One theorised upshot of the arctic ice melt could in fact disrupt the Gulf Stream (part of the larger Thermo-Haline circulation) which could make Western Europe much colder... potentially.

I would disagree with more extreme events. Let's deal with some facts on this and not myths.

Hurricanes would be more extreme. FACT : the last major hurricane to hit the US was Katrina 2005.
More tornadoes in the US. FACT : the level of tornadoes is now lower.

Every weather event is now linked to Global Warming.
More droughts. Global warming.
More rain. Global warming.
More snow. Global warming.
Less snow. Global warming.
More hurricanes. Global warming.
etc., etc..

Every prediction made by climate change scientists has failed. All of the models have failed in their projections. Even the famous Hockey Stick graph by Michael Mann has been debunked as garbage.

Now, I'm not saying that a mans activities have not led to a rise in CO2 (albeit that this is still disputed, as the natural CO2 cycle is very high and others point to natural changes of temperatures causing changes to the amount of CO2 in the atmosphere ). but the impact is so over the top is unbelievable. No one disputes climate change as it's a fact, due to the numerous cycles (which we don't understand) that impact the earths climate. There's proof of centuries long droughts in California, but is this was to happen now, it would be because of mans activities. Every naturally occurring event is laid at altar of CO2 emissions.

I think we're more likely over the next 5-10 years to see temperatures cooling, and once this happens then the level of time when there has been no significant temperature change will extend again (it was only broken by another strong El Nino as before this we had a hiatus of 18 years with no temperature change, even though CO2 was still rising).

Do I feel we shouldn't pollute? Of course.
Do I feel CO2 is pollution? No, plants grow with CO2 and the planet is now 'greener' due to faster plant growth with more CO2 in the atmosphere.

Papa Lazarou

Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
I think we're more likely over the next 5-10 years to see temperatures cooling, and once this happens then the level of time when there has been no significant temperature change will extend again (it was only broken by another strong El Nino as before this we had a hiatus of 18 years with no temperature change, even though CO2 was still rising).

There is a verifiable / testable prediction. My prediction is we'll see a continuation of the decadal rise in global average temperatures, your prediction is a cooling.

Let's agree to disagree on the rest (as we definitely do) and see how it pans out.

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
I doubt we will see any snow at all. Last winter is the new norm, 60 degrees in December and shirt sleeves, then 3 months of sw wind and rain before it gets a bit colder in April. Infact quite a few days and nights this june were colder than last december

matbha

Apr 13, 2014
I doubt we will see any snow at all. Last winter is the new norm, 60 degrees in December and shirt sleeves, then 3 months of sw wind and rain before it gets a bit colder in April. Infact quite a few days and nights this june were colder than last december

Blame me I built the kids a new sledge for the past 3 years ive been desparate to try it ,now I will put wheels on it and hope the jinx is no more
:smile:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here