[Misc] The Award-winning official "More Snow Tomorrow?" Thread [2023-24 Season]

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
Hoorah! Any early indications of what this winter holds?

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
God I love this thread. It gave me so many office points in the last FLURRY.

About 2 days before THAT day where everyone abandoned their cars (I ended up walking from Brighton station to Peacehaven) I saw Papa's prediction and WARNED work that people should not come in or leave early that day.

"No Mejona, you're just trying to not come to work" they said.

Even on the DAY I was saying "The snow is coming, we HAVE to leave now". again, no one believed me.

Queue the next day and tales of people sleeping in their cars and staying in the office. I was a weather GOD.

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
I gave up at the 7th "paragraph" - does it say we're going to get lots of snow this winter ( and please don't mention solar cycles ! ) ?

He's saying that

1. The current solar cycle is both weak and similar to cycles 5 & 6
2. There is a link between weak solar maxima and cold winters
3. The mechanism is poorl yunderstood, but seems to result in the jet stream being pushed further south
4. Cycles 5 & 6 were associated with the Dalton Minima, a period is generally cold conditions, winter and summer
5. There were however hot summers and average winters in that period, so we can't necessarily expect a cold winter every year

Papa Lazarou

Jul 7, 2003
Worthing

About 2 days before THAT day where everyone abandoned their cars (I ended up walking from Brighton station to Peacehaven) I saw Papa's prediction and WARNED work that people should not come in or leave early that day.

Even on the DAY I was saying "The snow is coming, we HAVE to leave now". again, no one believed me.

Queue the next day and tales of people sleeping in their cars and staying in the office. I was a weather GOD.

That is the power of this thread. Smugness.

jevs

Mar 24, 2004
Preston Rock Garden
Papa, why are people still making long range predictions ? It's got to be about the least accurate science on the planet. The Met bolloxed right up last spring by saying this summer would be colder and wetter than average.

My only theory is that one day, purely by the laws of averages, they've got to get something right and then they can all say "we told you so"

people are actually getting paid to do this too.

James Madden, of Exacta Weather, said: ‘I expect to see the first signs of some moderate to heavy snowfalls as early as October or November in certain parts of the UK.

Yeah, northern Scotland perhaps !!!!

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat

I got kudos at work from this thread too. Papa Lazarou is the don of weather predictions.

Papa Lazarou

Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
Papa, why are people still making long range predictions ? It's got to be about the least accurate science on the planet. The Met bolloxed right up last spring by saying this summer would be colder and wetter than average.

My only theory is that one day, purely by the laws of averages, they've got to get something right and then they can all say "we told you so"

people are actually getting paid to do this too.

Yeah, northern Scotland perhaps !!!!

Money. Companies like Exacta charge companies lots of money (as do the Met Office) for long range trend analysis. Where they push it too far is to be too precise on specific weather types.

This guy claims a high hit rate, but analysis shows he's no better than random guessing, but covers himself by both being vague and cherry picking weather to back himself up (like saying he was correct that we'd see gale force winds on Oct 10th, when in reality it was only windy on the top of Cairngorm).

http://www.weatheraction.com/

Papa Lazarou

Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
There are no signs of any early snowy weather, but it is still only September

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports