Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] The Athletic - Brighton content

Seasidesage

May 19, 2009
Brighton, United Kingdom
I like the Athletic and tend to read a few articles each morning before I start work. Albion content is a bit hit and miss but overall I like it and providing subscriptions stay roughly where they are £1 a week its well worth that price.

I find our articles seem to be a bit too slanted to the 'we are so lucky to be here' viewpoint which I no longer think is true personally...

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
I don’t think the Athletic’s value for money is in question.

I think the overwhelming consensus is the Albion specific content fails to capture the imagination, which is a great shame.

But as others have alluded to, Phil Hay at the Telegraph and Naylor at the Argus is akin to two respective footballers plying their trade at Man City and Southwick FC.

When Naylor announced he was joining the Athletic he spoke about how the Argus limited him in scope and of journalistic license. Sadly, I think 32 years at the same local rag has left him knowing no difference and I can respectfully understand that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Phil Hay was previously at the Yorkshire Evening Post covering Leeds, not the Telegraph.

poidy

Aug 3, 2009
Phil Hay was previously at the Yorkshire Evening Post covering Leeds, not the Telegraph.

I believe I meant Paul Hayward.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Daddies_Sauce

Falmer WSL, not a JCL
Jun 27, 2008
My subscription is due to end in the next couple of days, after I subscribed for a year due to a discount offer the Athletic was running at the time. Whilst there is lots of sports content, I only really read some, not all of the Brighton content. Hence I do not feel that it is worth the renewal fee of £59.99, has anybody else cancelled? did The Athletic offer and incentives to renew following cancellation?

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
My subscription is due to end in the next couple of days, after I subscribed for a year due to a discount offer the Athletic was running at the time. Whilst there is lots of sports content, I only really read some, not all of the Brighton content. Hence I do not feel that it is worth the renewal fee of £59.99, has anybody else cancelled? did The Athletic offer and incentives to renew following cancellation?

I’m letting it lapse. The Albion content isn’t great and I don’t have the time or inclination to read much of the rest of it. Occasionally an article with catch my eye but I reckon I leave it 70%+ unread so it’s not worth it for me. I’ve had a few emails offering discounted renewal since I cancelled the subscription but didn’t take much notice of what the terms were.

Nathan

Jan 8, 2010

Loads of deals online, you should be able to take up an offer for £1 a month, use a different email address. Or just cancel and wait a month, they will email with offers to re-join.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
I like it but Covid-19 is a money pit so I won't renew in December. If they hit me with a 'come back' promotion at any point I might take it up again then.

Daddies_Sauce

Falmer WSL, not a JCL
Jun 27, 2008
Loads of deals online, you should be able to take up an offer for £1 a month, use a different email address. Or just cancel and wait a month, they will email with offers to re-join.

I've already looked into that offer (plus others), its £1 a month for 6 months, then 6 Months @ £7.99 = £53.94, not much of a saving.

I’m letting it lapse.
- Be careful it does not auto-renew.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
I'm being bombarded with £1/month for 12 months offers on almost every website I visit right now.

Once again, they've got their marketing wrong and are paying to target me, although I'm already a subscriber (on £1/month for 6 months).

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex

Dancin Ninja BHA

Jul 6, 2003
I stopped during the lockdown, then re-joined for £1 a month for 6 months

No brainer really at that price

Like others, I don't really have the subscription solely for Naylor content as I'm a fan of most American sports, having lived there years ago, and there are enough decent articles to satisfy me at 25p per week!

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
I've already looked into that offer (plus others), its £1 a month for 6 months, then 6 Months @ £7.99 = £53.94, not much of a saving.

- Be careful it does not auto-renew.

Thanks - yes, cancelled the auto-sub option already

Cheers [MENTION=6886]Bozza[/MENTION] - for £1 a month I might re-sign up.

Change at Barnham

Aug 6, 2011
Bognor Regis
The Brighton coverage of their win at Old Trafford is non-existence.
I get that the philosophy is about writing in depth articles, but it would be nice to have a bit more immediate content discussing the game soon after it's ended.
We will probably get another stats driven article arrive Sunday or Monday afternoon with some screenshots of De Zebri's tactics.
I want to read about Brighton's performance in the glow of victory, not 48 hours later.

Can we put in a bid for Phil Hay from Leeds?

Farehamseagull

Solly March Fan Club
Nov 22, 2007
Sarisbury Green, Southampton
Andy Naylor is quite clearly out of his depth.

The other journalists at The Athletic put him to shame to be honest.

Decent Brighton content non existent.
This. I’m a massive fan of The Athletic these days after being sceptical when it first launched as they have captured the needs of the younger/modern football fan.

But the best Brighton content on there is written by others including the excellent (Albion fan and stats/tactics man) Liam Tharme. Naylor is out of date and out of his depth.

Change at Barnham

Aug 6, 2011
Bognor Regis
I think it’s good content tbf , and especially if they’re doing £1 a month offers etc / I wouldn’t pay full price though
It is compared to The Argus and some of the national paper clickbait articles.
But when you compare the content to other clubs Athletic articles, it certainly won't be winning any awards.

I'm not knocking the Athletic, I'm happy to subscribe (I pay £24 a year) for it's comprehensive football overage.
I just wish it produced higher and more regular quality content for Brighton.

jackanada

Jul 19, 2011
Brighton
If you've forgotten your log in details then disabling java script lets you read any articles you might click through to from elsewhere. 😉

Comrade Sam

Comrade Sam
Jan 31, 2013
Walthamstow
There is just endless stuff on the internet about Brighton these days, it seems pointless to pay for it (even though 90% of it is transfers out speculation and people re quoting others interviews). I used to search the internet for weeks before anything emerged, but now something in the world is dumped on the web every 15 minutes.

chickens

Intending to survive this time of asset strippers
Oct 12, 2022
I’m another who has the £1 a month offer but won’t pay any more for the Athletic.

In defence of Andy, he can only work with what the club are willing to give him, or what he’s willing to create himself. I respect the fact that he doesn’t indulge in creating nonsensical clickbait.

While I’m sure our engagement numbers are ascending, they’re limited by comparison to to British Football’s historical juggernauts. We’re not pulling in the most eyeballs or significant in terms of subscriber numbers. In short, we’re not substantial enough to be significant to the Athletic’s overall success in the U.K.

I also like the fact that if a transfer rumour is well off the mark. Andy’s pretty good at nipping it in the bud before we all get too excited/angry.

In short, it’s always easier to criticise than create, and while perhaps not perfect in all regards, Andy deserves a bit of respect for his output, which tends to be respectful and positive.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here