Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[News] The Assault on Jenni Hermoso

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
Given that only those who are NSC right wingers think the bloke did nothing wrong, and none of our NSC left wingers think he did not do something wrong, and one side or the other equates their latest disagreement with their allegiance then, yes, it is a left vs right thing. If you consider yourself on the right, and consider that the bloke did something wrong, good.

On this occasion, also, @Jolly Red Giant is correct to link the entitlement of the bloke and his supporters with the traditional arrangements created by Spain's right wing.

There is no need to get shirty about that :shrug:
Wonderfully patronizing.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Piers Morgan interviewed Rubiales... christ almighty why does it not surprise me that he's got his grubby hands involved ffs
After Cristiano Ronaldo and James Corden, there is now a perfect circle Venn diagram;

Is someone being a bellend?
Have they just been interviewed by Piers Morgan?

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..

Crawley Dingo

Political thread tourist.
Mar 31, 2022
I find it sad as its all over shadowed the teams world cup win. I'll accept my Spanish friends opinion on it when I next see her as I don't hold any strong views of my own.

Bakero

Languidly clinical
Oct 9, 2010
Almería
I find it sad as its all over shadowed the teams world cup win. I'll accept my Spanish friends opinion on it when I next see her as I don't hold any strong views of my own.

It is a shame that their win has been overshadowed but hopefully some good can come of it. The kiss was the straw that broke the camel's back and means now the Spanish football federation are going to have to deal with the issues they'd thus far avoided.

Looking forward, the Spanish women's team is set to be a force on the pitch for the foreseeable future.

BN41Albion

Oct 1, 2017
After Cristiano Ronaldo and James Corden, there is now a perfect circle Venn diagram;

Is someone being a bellend?
Have they just been interviewed by Piers Morgan?
Interesting Spanish take on Piers Morgan. Good to know they also think he's a f***ing tw**

Bakero

Languidly clinical
Oct 9, 2010
Almería
Interesting Spanish take on Piers Morgan. Good to know they also think he's a f***ing tw**

Rafa de Miguel, the write of that piece, is El Pais's London correspondent, so he'll be very familiar with Morgan's long history of bellendery. Glad to see he's letting the rest of Spain know too.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Before we get complacent, thinking we are better than Spain, here is a report from surgeons regarding sexual assault in the Operating Theatres in Britain!!

It is widely accepted there is a culture of silence around such behaviour. Surgical training relies on learning from senior colleagues in the operating theatre and women have told us it is risky to speak out about those who have power and influence over their future careers.
The report, which is being published in the British Journal of Surgery, is the first attempt to get a sense of the scale.
Registered surgeons - men and women - were invited to take part completely anonymously and 1,434 responded. Half were women:

• 63% of women had been the target of sexual harassment from colleagues
  • 30% of women had been sexually assaulted by a colleague
  • 11% of women reported forced physical contact related to career opportunities
  • At least 11 incidents of rape were reported
  • 90% of women, and 81% of men, had witnessed some form of sexual misconduct
While the report shows men are also subject to some of this behaviour (24% had been sexually harassed), it concludes men and women surgeons are "living different realities".

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Rubiales is to appear in court, in Madrid, on Friday facing charges of sexual assault and coercion.
Hermoso's complaint was one of sexual assault but last week prosecutor Marta Durantez Gil added an allegation of coercion after the forward revealed that some of her relatives had been pressured by Rubiales and his "professional entourage" to say she "justified and approved what happened".

Louis MacNeice

Dec 7, 2015
Entrenched left/right viewpoint partisan politics are invading every aspect of life. It's tedious.
Or it is because the contradictions in the way we make and distribute goods and services are becoming more and more obvious, and more and more obviously unsustainable? Perhaps there really are sides to be taken?

Cheers - Louis MacNeice

The Rivet

Aug 9, 2011
Or it is because the contradictions in the way we make and distribute goods and services are becoming more and more obvious, and more and more obviously unsustainable? Perhaps there really are sides to be taken?

Cheers - Louis MacNeice
I've read your reply several times and no, I still can't make sense of it!

Jolly Red Giant

Jul 11, 2015
I've read your reply several times and no, I still can't make sense of it!
Where you like it or not - we live in a class-based society where extreme (and obscene) wealth dominates and controls society. Inequality permeates through all aspects of society, from politics and economics, to culture, to personal relationships - and all based on the exercise of power. It cannot be any other way because of how society is structured to protect the interests of the elites (including Sunak who, with his wife, is worth somewhere north of half a billion pounds - and his wife's family is worth somewhere north of £50billion).

The Rivet

Aug 9, 2011
Where you like it or not - we live in a class-based society where extreme (and obscene) wealth dominates and controls society. Inequality permeates through all aspects of society, from politics and economics, to culture, to personal relationships - and all based on the exercise of power. It cannot be any other way because of how society is structured to protect the interests of the elites (including Sunak who, with his wife, is worth somewhere north of half a billion pounds - and his wife's family is worth somewhere north of £50billion).
Left leaning / Right leaning arguments. Why can't there just be discussion on inequality. Why do we label everything through that singular prism? It's not 'whether I like it or not'! I never expressed an opinion on inequality!

Spiros

Jul 9, 2003
Too far from the sun
Our society is so unequal that a man born of Indian immigrants manages to work his way up to become prime minister. Whether you agree with his politics or not (and I’ll guess you don’t) you can’t argue that Sunak is a product of the “elites” . He is a product of his/his family’s hard work.

However back to the topic in hand. Jenni Hermoso has taken a brave stance. Spain has an endemic problem with sexual violence against women which sometime goes as far as the judiciary. A few years ago a bunch of men were given very lenient sentences after gang raping a woman in Pamplona because the judge thought she was asking for it because of how she dressed. Even though this was big news at the time there were plenty of apologists on Spanish tv at the time prepared to defend both the judge and the men. Much as I love the country it’s still backward in many ways

Jolly Red Giant

Jul 11, 2015
Our society is so unequal that a man born of Indian immigrants manages to work his way up to become prime minister. Whether you agree with his politics or not (and I’ll guess you don’t) you can’t argue that Sunak is a product of the “elites” . He is a product of his/his family’s hard work.
Oh - come on - you are not trying to suggest that Sunak is the product of poor Indian Immigrants - his father is a doctor and his mother a pharmacist - he was education in a posh fee-paying school - went to Stanford ( - $80,000 a year - do you really think he had to get a student loan for that one) - worked for Goldman Sachs and then for a vulture fund where he became a partner. His grandparents were part of the British colonial administration in Tanganyika and Kenya. And he married into an extremely wealthy Indian family. He recently built a leisure centre on his country manor, including a swimming pool, a tennis court and a gym (in a grade II listed building) - not to talk of his house in Earl's Court, his flat in South Kensington and his holiday penthouse apartment in Santa Monica California. He didn't work his way up to Prime Minister - if anything it is a major step down for him. In fact you really need to ask the question - what is a guy who, with his wife, is listed in the richest 300 in Britain doing active in politics - because its not for the betterment of the mass of the British population.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Oh - come on - you are not trying to suggest that Sunak is the product of poor Indian Immigrants - his father is a doctor and his mother a pharmacist
you were saying in another thread doctors are working class. funny how that changes to suit.

Reactions: cjd

Jolly Red Giant

Jul 11, 2015
you were saying in another thread doctors are working class. funny how that changes to suit.
Yea - here is the difference - his family are rooted in British colonialism, part of the mechanism of British control in East Africa - the British took members of reliable wealthy Hindu families who were part of British rule in India and used them to administer British rule in other colonies. Coupled with that his mother owned a pharmacy in Southampton and his father's GP practice ws situated in a posh part of Southampton where detached houses now go for £3/4million. To the best of my knowledge the practice is still owned by the Sunak family - these days, thanks to the Tories and Blairites, GP practices are privately owned companies contracted to the NHS and make significant profits.

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here