Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[News] The Assault on Jenni Hermoso

Washie

Jun 20, 2011
Eastbourne
He has so much power over her that if she had reacted in any way at the time, he could have taken everything away from her. He starts assault proceedings, takes away her medals. suspends her from playing in Spain, her life could be ruined by reacting. this is why she did nothing and why his actions are so reprehensible. He started legal proceedings anyway, that is how much power he has, he needs to go. I feel she has handled this extremely well.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I find myself wondering what would have happened if she had slapped him.
maybe she wanted to but was conscious of being on a world stage.
I find myself wondering what would have happened if she had slapped him.
maybe she wanted to but was conscious of being on a world stage.
A knee to the groin would have created an enduring and iconic image. But I totally understand the restraint she showed.

Lever

Feb 6, 2019
Just saying it as I saw it, on reflection it may have been a problem, but at the time just looked like emotions boiling over.
We cannot know what she and/or he was feeling at the time. We can only interpret the act itself and the comments made afterwards.

In this circumstance, Rubiales (President of the Royal Spanish Football Federation) was in a position of power and authority in relation to the player. It was a very, very public moment and he acted unprofessionally at best and patronisingly and in a sexist manner at worst.

People who shrug the incident off or make excuses for his behaviour are the same as 20th century 'Sun readers' who declared page 3 was 'just a bit of fun' and harmless.

That opinion may be applicable to a diminishing number of people who can't or won't recognise the unnecessary insult felt by many, but such views should have been consigned to the dustbin of history at least twenty years ago!

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
He has so much power over her that if she had reacted in any way at the time, he could have taken everything away from her. He starts assault proceedings, takes away her medals. suspends her from playing in Spain, her life could be ruined by reacting. this is why she did nothing and why his actions are so reprehensible. He started legal proceedings anyway, that is how much power he has, he needs to go. I feel she has handled this extremely well.
Well said. It also shows how brave she is making a stand when the Spanish FA is suing her, yet issued a statement with lies about her.
She’s at the top of her game, and could lose everything but is still brave enough to say no, no more.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Hopefully @Algernon doesnt have any sons
Just saying it as I saw it, on reflection it may have been a problem, but at the time just looked like emotions boiling over.

Someone else made an excellent post further up - when have you ever seen it happen at a men’s World Cup or Euros final ?

Iggle Piggle

Sep 3, 2010
That was me. I said that being a Burnley fan didn’t automatically make you a hooligan. Now I’m saying that golf club members are not a cross section of the community. That would be because of the cost. Where do you play ?
The last round I played was at Hollingbury where there is a cross section of dog walkers, travellers living along the 17th and golfers. I started playing there as a kid when I saved up my paper round money to buy some clubs. Sorry, does that not fit your stereotype?

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
The last round I played was at Hollingbury where there is a cross section of dog walkers, travellers living along the 17th and golfers. I started playing there as a kid when I saved up my paper round money to buy some clubs. Sorry, does that not fit your stereotype?
I said not all people who support a football team are yobs. I am also saying that members of golf clubs are not a cross section of the community. Those are facts that are not difficult for most people to process I would have thought.

Iggle Piggle

Sep 3, 2010
I said not all people who support a football team are yobs. I am also saying that members of golf clubs are not a cross section of the community. Those are facts that are not difficult for most people to process I would have thought.
I'll give you one stereotype associated with golf though. I played one round of golf in Liverpool. Someone stole my clubs.

Iggle Piggle

Sep 3, 2010

Attachments

• b25lY21zOjdhMDY2Nzk2LTlmY2EtNDU5ZC1iMGJlLWIwZDQxMDdmMDhjYjo3NzJhYWZhZC1lYTA4LTQ1OTctYTcwZi1mZW...jpg
    b25lY21zOjdhMDY2Nzk2LTlmY2EtNDU5ZC1iMGJlLWIwZDQxMDdmMDhjYjo3NzJhYWZhZC1lYTA4LTQ1OTctYTcwZi1mZW...jpg
    39.7 KB · Views: 35

willalbion

May 8, 2006
London
If she'd just won the World Cup then I'd see it in the context of a joyous moment where emotions run high. It wouldn't worry me in the slightest.
I'm sure she wouldn't have a problem with it either although it would be up for her to decide.
I'm sure she'd say something about it immediately if she didn't appreciate it.
Have you asked her or any of the women in your life about this incident? (Not the hypothetical one, although that may also be worth discussing)

Wokeworrier

Aug 7, 2021
West sussex/travelling
If she'd just won the World Cup then I'd see it in the context of a joyous moment where emotions run high. It wouldn't worry me in the slightest.
I'm sure she wouldn't have a problem with it either although it would be up for her to decide.
I'm sure she'd say something about it immediately if she didn't appreciate it.

Having finally got round to watching the clip in full I think that's probably the most accurate interpretation I would go with. He was clearly overjoyed at their achievement and there was lots of mutual hugging, kissing of cheeks on the podium but In the moment he went too far with a smacker on the lips which was clearly inappropriate.

In a sane world the apology he gave later on would hopefully suffice but this has now snowballed to ridiculous proportions with all sorts of agendas in play.

I also note the clip of a female horse owner grabbing a jockeys face to give him a kiss on the lips during a moment of celebration has sailed by the outrage police without comment ...

AK74

Bright-eyed. Bushy-tailed. GSOH.
NSC Patron
Jan 19, 2010
Having finally got round to watching the clip in full I think that's probably the most accurate interpretation I would go with. He was clearly overjoyed at their achievement and there was lots of mutual hugging, kissing of cheeks on the podium but In the moment he went too far with a smacker on the lips which was clearly inappropriate.

In a sane world the apology he gave later on would hopefully suffice but this has now snowballed to ridiculous proportions with all sorts of agendas in play.

I also note the clip of a female horse owner grabbing a jockeys face to give him a kiss on the lips during a moment of celebration has sailed by the outrage police without comment ...
:ffsparr:

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003

Think there is some truth in this but equally he’s the head of their FA and such types are usually creepy corrupt sociopaths so I’m not going to stick up for him!

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead

As a member of the outrage police I am outraged that you haven’t started a thread about the jockey incident as I haven’t seen it. I did see the Spain football thing as well, I like football. I don’t watch horses but I will definitely comment on your new thread.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
TS now reporting that Rubialas’s mum has now locked herself in a church and on hunger strike because of the victimisation of her son

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here