Votes: 23 24.5%
  • Draw

Votes: 15 16.0%

• Total voters

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Its a strange one. If Stokes had only held on to it as long as he did, but more deliberately threw it up / away in celebration, it would have stood. :shrug:

I agree with the decision though. Bugger.
I don't quite understand the instinct to immediately throw it up in the air. Just complete the catch first, make sure it's safe, then worry about celebrating.

I dunno. Just frustrating that we've done ourselves in with unenforced errors at multiple points this series, a series where we have played some phenomenal cricket.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
I don't quite understand the instinct to immediately throw it up in the air. Just complete the catch first, make sure it's safe, then worry about celebrating.

I dunno. Just frustrating that we've done ourselves in with unenforced errors at multiple points this series, a series where we have played some phenomenal cricket.
It's instinct. And these happenings are rare. I remember taking a catch close in once in wet conditions. A really sharp catch. I brought my hands down and the ball slipped out. The batsman had turned and walked.

I didn't call him back.

😇

Jim in the West

NSC Patron
Sep 13, 2003
Way out West

Yes, we've definitely played the better cricket (despite the Aussies having an excellent bowling line-up, and the two best batsmen in the world). Would be incredibly unfair if we lost the series 3-1. We could so easily have won it by the same margin. [Sorry - nothing original there!]

The Fits

Jun 29, 2020

Feels very, very similar to us. You can never have perfection with such a high risk high reward mentality I guess. Even with the very best 11 players I suspect there's stil going to be some fairly amateurish mistakes every few days/matches.
Bloody exciting though.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford

I reckon there is a tiny chance that if Stokes had tried to style it out - just run off celebrating the moment it slipped out, it could have been given. Just had to look convincing that both the catch AND the release of the ball were 'controlled'. By standing there looking confused, he gave the umpires no real option.

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
I reckon there is a tiny chance that if Stokes had tried to style it out - just run off celebrating the moment it slipped out, it could have been given. Just had to look convincing that both the catch AND the release of the ball were 'controlled'. By standing there looking confused, he gave the umpires no real option.
sums up the series really, lazy and just stupid.
Australia stroll on to another easy victory, embarrassing.

Jim in the West

NSC Patron
Sep 13, 2003
Way out West
I agree. I think the issue is that Stokes seems a very decent guy. And if he HAD done so, knowing it wasn't a fair catch, my respect for him would have taken a bit of a knock.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
No time to go through that thought process…….instinctively basically went ‘oh bollocks’. If his hand hadn’t hit his thigh the ball would have been thrown high in the air and they’d have all been high-fiving as the batsman walked off and the ball dropped to the ground. Frustrating.

Is it PotG?

Thrifty non-licker
Feb 20, 2017
Sussex by the Sea
At least if you're going to spit in disappointment you can manage to get THAT right.

Screenshot_20230731-140449~2.png

Mo Gosfield

Aug 11, 2010
Looking very likely. It´s a pity that we were sloppy in the first two tests and unlucky with the weather at Manchester overall England have played some great cricket and ought to have won the series but have to accept that this Aussie team knows how to grind out a win.
We messed this series up good and proper in the first two Tests. In our desire to assert ourselves ( nay......attempt to bully the Aussies into submission ) we failed to play the percentages, tried to force the pace too much and our errors tilted the balance in their favour. The margins have been pretty fine in this series and we helped them to a 2-0 lead.
Against the best team in the world, it was a huge ask to retrieve that deficit. We have done well to stay in the series but the effort of that is finally taking its toll. You can try and steamroller lesser sides but these guys are hardened cricketers, with a lot of pride and even though they have been pressurised and ruffled, they have the resilience to hang on in there.
We missed Leach big time but that was counterbalanced by them losing Lyon. Wood was introduced too late. Anderson has been persevered with for too many Tests. Tongue deserved another chance. We paid for the rash declaration on Day1/Test1. The decision to not select the best wicketkeeper is out there for debate. It clearly cost us in the first two Tests, as Bairstow missed a third of the chances presented. He could still have been picked as a batsman.
We could have won the series against an Aussie side that hasn't hit the heights. That is the most frustrating thing. They have felt the pressure and we had our chances. Any momentum was lost at a damp OT but that is the luck of the draw. Too many Tests crammed too close together and suffering from the same weather fronts. Weather may yet have the final say.

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
Why are the Sky commentators referring to that as controversial? Nothing controversial about it whatsoever. Yes, Stokes caught it but dropped it when his hand hit his thigh. Not out.

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
Oh balls. Players come out after lunch and it starts raining before a ball is bowled

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
I sincerely hope Anderson can pull something special out of the fire in what remains of this test because when he reflects on this series I fancy he'll blame himself for not having Broad's good sense to know when the game is up.

Statistically, the two teams are close but Jimmy's 5 wickets at 85.4 apiece is the glaring difference.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
This. I was thinking JUST PRETEND! But it's a split second moment, I know.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here