• Australia WIN

Votes: 23 24.5%
  • Draw

Votes: 15 16.0%

• Total voters

Scappa

Jul 5, 2017
Little trivia question for the evening;

Which county cricket club tried to sign Steve Smith as a teenager on a home registration due to his English mother ?
He played in the 2s for Surrey after impressing in the Kent league for Sevenoaks?

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
The correct answer for Steve Smith is Surrey who turned up at his home the day he was due to leave for Australia, contract in hand.

Sid and the Sharknados

NSC Patron
Sep 4, 2022
Darlington
Stuart Broad's first match for England was a T20 against Pakistan that happened to coincide with Sussex playing Durham in the Pro40 up at Chester-Le-Street, a couple of days after the 2006 C&G final.
Sussex won comfortably, Montgomerie top scoring, and I remember following Broad's debut by overhearing the elderly women chatting behind me and my mum as they followed the international match on a radio.
I'd followed Broad's progress that season, as he always seemed much more exciting than the other prospective fast bowlers, even those like Tremlett who often seemed objectively better in any measurable way.
I don't think there's anything nicer I can write than that he achieved far more, both in wickets taken and excitement produced, than 14year old me can ever have hoped for.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
Stuart Broad's first match for England was a T20 against Pakistan that happened to coincide with Sussex playing Durham in the Pro40 up at Chester-Le-Street, a couple of days after the 2006 C&G final.
Sussex won comfortably, Montgomerie top scoring, and I remember following Broad's debut by overhearing the elderly women chatting behind me and my mum as they followed the international match on a radio.
I'd followed Broad's progress that season, as he always seemed much more exciting than the other prospective fast bowlers, even those like Tremlett who often seemed objectively better in any measurable way.
I don't think there's anything nicer I can write than that he achieved far more, both in wickets taken and excitement produced, than 14year old me can ever have hoped for.
Can I ask what your story is ? I see you live in the north-east, yet have a strong affinity with Sussex and obviously support the Albion.

thedonkeycentrehalf

Moved back to wear the gloves (again)
Jul 7, 2003
Surprised to see that none of those listing the cricket grounds have mentioned Eastbourne amongst the home grounds.

Brian Fantana

Oct 8, 2006
In the field
Can I ask what your story is ? I see you live in the north-east, yet have a strong affinity with Sussex and obviously support the Albion.
There’s quite a lot of Albion fans who live in the North East. I was in the process of organising a meet up when Covid struck. I’d gathered the details at that time of about 20-25 fans in the region.

Sid and the Sharknados

NSC Patron
Sep 4, 2022
Darlington
Sure. I was born in Brighton, grew up in Newhaven and have gradually moved north since I have extended family in the area, it's cheaper to buy a house and Darlington's on the East Coast Mainline and A1.
My ultimate aim is to get one of those jobs you see advertised sometimes where you live alone on an island in the Outer Hebrides counting the birds. :lolol:
Regarding the match mentioned in my previous post, my Mum and I had gone to the C&G final against Lancashire a couple of days before, and then went up to Darlington to visit family the next day. Since Sussex were playing Durham while we were up there we went along.

Last edited:

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Is kick-off 11?

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
By my count they are 7 overs down over the first three days. Given there is weather around I can’t see why a 10:30 start today would have been a bad thing, even if to just catch up the lost overs.

Pevenseagull

Anti-greed coalition
Jul 20, 2003
Broad's gone full Ziggy Stardust with his retirement.

Not only is this the last test of their tour, but it's the last test I will ever do.

Crowd goes wild.

Sky Bet 3/1 Broad gets Warner.

Take my £20.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here