Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The Argus get it wrong again

brightonlass2009

Sports sports sports!
Well half wrong at least. The Argus printed an article about council run care being £21.50 an hour to get somebody 'washed, dressed and fed in their own home.'

Now the £21.50 figure is correct, but that's only for council run care. When it comes to private care agencies the council expect the companies to implement the same car for between £12.50 and £14.50 an hour, even though it is the same job. We even wrote to the Argus about this and they were allegedly going to print it, however obviously the story wasn't sensationalised enough for them.

Also care is no longer about getting somebody washed, dressed and fed. These carers have qualifications in first aid, medication training, hoisting training, with most now having NVQ level 2 and National Diploma Qualifications. However that doesn't sound good enough and doesn't sell papers does it?

Sad, it's screwed over a certain companies fight against the council. Great!

Last edited:

timco

Jul 5, 2003
Birmingham
Well half wrong at least. The Argus printed an article about council run care being £21.50 an hour to get somebody 'washed, dressed and fed in their own home.'

Now the £21.50 figure is correct, but that's only for council run care. When it comes to private care agencies the council expect the companies to implement the same car for between £12.50 and £14.50 an hour, even though it is the same job. We even wrote to the Argus about this and they were allegedly going to print it, however obviously the story wasn't sensationalised enough for them.

Also care is no longer about getting somebody washed, dressed and fed. These carers have qualifications in first aid, medication training, hoisting training, with most now having NVQ level 2 and National Diploma Qualifications. However that doesn't sound good enough and doesn't sell papers does it?

Sad, it's screwed over a certain companies fight against the council. Great!

Well they got it right then it does cost that!

I would agree though they needed to compare that cost to the private sector (for profit and not for profit) where costs are being severely squeezed and asking the elected officials to justify the difference.

Still can't have everything, oh and BTW Carers paid nothing care workers or care assistants are paid Carers Website about the use of the term Carer

I am BTW the chairman a Not for Profit care provider in Birmingham.

brightonlass2009

Sports sports sports!
Well they got it right then it does cost that!

I would agree though they needed to compare that cost to the private sector (for profit and not for profit) where costs are being severely squeezed and asking the elected officials to justify the difference.

Still can't have everything, oh and BTW Carers paid nothing care workers or care assistants are paid Carers Website about the use of the term Carer

I am BTW the chairman a Not for Profit care provider in Birmingham.

I realise the difference between Carers, Care Workers and Care Assistants, my mother is one. Also it's a generic term that most people use when talking about people in this profession.

They definitely needed to compare the cost as we have been in contact with the Argus about the fact my mothers agency has been told to cut her costs. She's one of the best private care agencies in Brighton and has been told she can't pay her staff as much anymore. We're still fighting them but it's sad how naive people are, care is more then just getting them dressed and fed in their own home and that was what the half wrong was referring to.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here