Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The Argus: "Albion won't be rushed as they focus on getting right man as manager"

Box of Frogs

Zamoras Left Boot
Oct 8, 2003
Right here, right now
TB may feel Pulis is on paper his number one choice until he talks to him. Maybe they won't get on and TB decides, despite TPs credentials, that the two could not work together. If that happens and Hughton is then appointed, have we settled for our second choice or have we decided that, after speaking to both candidates, our second choice was in fact a better option than our first choice?

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
TB may feel Pulis is on paper his number one choice until he talks to him. Maybe they won't get on and TB decides, despite TPs credentials, that the two could not work together. If that happens and Hughton is then appointed, have we settled for our second choice or have we decided that, after speaking to both candidates, our second choice was in fact a better option than our first choice?

Depends if Pulis gets naked and headbutts him when they meet.

That probably would not do his chances and favours.

Mo Gosfield

Aug 11, 2010
What makes me laugh is the term interviews, used like the club are recruiting for a office manager....

Its a football job - the question "what qualities do you think you can bring to our business?" won't mean f all.

If they don't know their history, style of play, their coaching skills, formation and contacts before they do a formal chat to make an offer then they shouldn't be involved in the recruitment of a manager anyway let alone running a Championship club .
The candidates we should be picking from are supposed to be experienced Championship managers, any flaws will be known already, its the offer and money talk that will seal the deal. All this fanning about while the Amex burns is costing us points and we might as well wait for Russell Salde to get the boot from Cardiff - he has the qualities and experience to get us out of League 1!

You would have thought that consideration would have been given to Hyypia's lack of experience and how poorly his stint in Germany finished ( surely a big warning sign ) Also, how much research went into his character. He admitted himself that he wasn't a leader when he played, that he let others do the shouting and organising and just got on with playing ( another big warning sign....being a leader is a pre-requisite of management )
It would appear that the decision to appoint was based on....
1) Bringing in a strong and proven no.2 ( i.e Sammy Lee )
2) Hoping that his playing experience would generate some decent contacts, either loanees or permanent, providing they fitted in with the budget.
3) He agreed to work under the existing structure and his pay didn't cause a problem. ( Guessing between £500k-£750k pa.)
In retrospect it was an awful appointment and as you say, it calls into question the ability to run a football club at this level.

Feb 24, 2011
Upper Bevendean

You cannot go around talking sense like that. It just won't generate any binfestery at all, and that just won't do.

Chicken Runner61

We stand where we want!
May 20, 2007
You would have thought that consideration would have been given to Hyypia's lack of experience and how poorly his stint in Germany finished ( surely a big warning sign ) Also, how much research went into his character. He admitted himself that he wasn't a leader when he played, that he let others do the shouting and organising and just got on with playing ( another big warning sign....being a leader is a pre-requisite of management )
It would appear that the decision to appoint was based on....
1) Bringing in a strong and proven no.2 ( i.e Sammy Lee )
2) Hoping that his playing experience would generate some decent contacts, either loanees or permanent, providing they fitted in with the budget.
3) He agreed to work under the existing structure and his pay didn't cause a problem. ( Guessing between £500k-£750k pa.)
In retrospect it was an awful appointment and as you say, it calls into question the ability to run a football club at this level.

If Lee coming was part of the agreement I don't think they would have stuck by him so long.
I think the problem is money and has been ever since Murray, If this were close season I could understand taking time and considering a few candidates and letting them sit on it a few days but we cannot afford to waste time and drop more points, we need to get 25-30 points from our remaining games, even getting a point a game will be too little.

Its a time where we need to make a decisive rational decision fast, identify our chosen candidate based on what we already know about them and offer them a fee based on what it will cost us if we go down.

We can't afford another failure or third choice stop gap

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
What a joke of a post. How anyone can seriously think the board want us in League 1 is ridiculous.

What exactly do you think Pulis, Hughton etc would have thought weeks ago? Would they believe no other job would ever come up and take ours in panic at being unemployed forever? No, they would quite possibly have kept their options open for a Premier League job, as they may well do now! Some of our so called fans need to take a serious look at themselves!

They didnt sack sami. He would still be here and we would be drifting into L1 . Thats our ambition. Prove me wrong. Because from where I am he had the safest job in football after ONE WIN IN NINETEEN GAMES.

Finchley Seagull

Feb 25, 2004
North London
They didnt sack sami. He would still be here and we would be drifting into L1 . Thats our ambition. Prove me wrong. Because from where I am he had the safest job in football after ONE WIN IN NINETEEN GAMES.

I'm not arguing that they didn't make mistakes. Appointing Hyypia, in hindsight, was a mistake. Keeping him so long was definitely a mistake! The only logical reason I can offer is that the club didn't feel they gave him a strong squad in the summer and wanted to help him in January. Not something I completely agree with, as Hyypia should have made more of the squad, but not completely wrong either.

Accepting this, I still don't believe that you could even consider that Tony Bloom (with all the money he has put in the club) wants us to go down. It would be too ludicrous to even consider.

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012

Having been involved in recruitment processes as a school governor as well as in work and other places, the strongest candidates on paper often turn out to be the weakest at interview. Obviously a football manager's record is much more in the public eye, but however good it might be, if mr Bloom and mr Barber meet him and think "I couldn't work with this bloke", and then they talk to everyone else who met him and they all say they didn't like him, he would not be the right person to appoint.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
offer them a fee based on what it will cost us if we go down.
That would be a terrible way to run a club. How about (and I know this is radical) we offer them the going rate?

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
I'm happy for them not to rush, but the new manager should definitely be in place by Wed night absolute latest, and it mustn't be Jones either: their own publicly-stated key criterion is 'experienced Championship manager', so that rules out Jones straight away, now they can concentrate on Pulis and Hughton.

RexCathedra

Aurea Mediocritas
Jan 14, 2005
Vacationland
I demand half-thought out, ill-considered, panicky action now!
Something done for show, or purely for the sake of doing something.
Or if we're lucky, both.

That way, we'd have something we can all grouse about for the rest of the season.
That's a holiday gift for NSC that would keep on giving.

Chicken Runner61

We stand where we want!
May 20, 2007
That would be a terrible way to run a club. How about (and I know this is radical) we offer them the going rate?

That is the going rate isn't it ? - Sorry its palace as an example but how much did it cost them to get Pulis but more importantly how much did they save by having him keep them up.

You pay the best rate to keep us up

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
That is the going rate isn't it ?
I may have misread your post. I read it to mean that you work out what it would cost if you went down, and pay them that - but that's not what you meant, is it?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here