Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The annual "Why don't we have a Straight Pride?" thread?

alfredmizen

Banned
Mar 11, 2015
I doubt it's for the reason you claim, prison cells being full. I would imagine it's more to do with the fact that if they arrested them the subsequent waiting around at the station and paperwork would mean there would not be enough officers on the ground.
But I simply don't believe if someone was smashing 7 bells of shite out of someone or were caught dealing that they would be left alone by the police.
Suspected taking of drugs, but of willy tickling behind the bins, yeah probably gets ignored the same as it does every day of the year in Brighton. Not special to this event.
lets see how you get on with that at , or on your way to and from any football ground in the country , the same things get ignored at Notting Hill Carnival , but not for the easy targets that are football fans.

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Wrong word perhaps, encouraged not told.

I heard nothing of the sort myself, and I worked all afternoon and evening in Brighton on Saturday. If anything, I was surprised- encouraged, even- to note what seemed to be a more robust intent declared by those in charge to deal with certain types of offences, certainly in comparison to previous years.

The law- as you later mention- requires a specific necessity to arrest, providing certain conditions are met, for any offence. Plenty of offences would be dealt with by other means, not just at Pride but on any day of the year. People absolutely aren't arrested unconditionally every time they do something wrong: there are various means by which people can be dealt with. Fixed penalty notices, community resolutions, summons to court, street warnings, cautions etc.

Pride is a massive event, therefore it's inevitable criminality will go up somewhat while it's on, purely due to the number of people attending. But in reality, I don't think it's significantly out of proportion to the event, any more than it would be in, say, Lewes on Bonfire Night, another occasion requiring huge police resources.

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
lets see how you get on with that at , or on your way to and from any football ground in the country , the same things get ignored at Notting Hill Carnival , but not for the easy targets that are football fans.

Yes and no. I've seen plenty of things go on at football games that people could easily get nicked for if they did it in the middle of West Street on a Friday night.

alfredmizen

Banned
Mar 11, 2015
Yes and no. I've seen plenty of things go on at football games that people could easily get nicked for if they did it in the middle of West Street on a Friday night.
Ive seen people who should've been nicked under the trades descriptions act for describing themselves as footballers :lolol:

The Fifth Column

Retired ex-cop
Nov 30, 2010
Escaped from Corruption
I doubt it's for the reason you claim, prison cells being full. I would imagine it's more to do with the fact that if they arrested them the subsequent waiting around at the station and paperwork would mean there would not be enough officers on the ground.
But I simply don't believe if someone was smashing 7 bells of shite out of someone or were caught dealing that they would be left alone by the police.
Suspected taking of drugs, but of willy tickling behind the bins, yeah probably gets ignored the same as it does every day of the year in Brighton. Not special to this event.

You can doubt all you like It makes no odds to me. There were plenty of officers on the ground and the numbers would not have been remotely affected by making arrests since there were teams on at the cell block to take over any prisoners and investigations. You cherry pick a couple of offences but the fact was that numerous offences that would normally result in an arrest were simply ignored because it was Pride. I'm not making this up, ask any number of coppers on duty on the day although Edna will probably toe the party line and dispute that no doubt, I'd be very surprised to see her admit it and risk making such a statement on here.

The Fifth Column

Retired ex-cop
Nov 30, 2010
Escaped from Corruption
I heard nothing of the sort myself, and I worked all afternoon and evening in Brighton on Saturday. If anything, I was surprised- encouraged, even- to note what seemed to be a more robust intent declared by those in charge to deal with certain types of offences, certainly in comparison to previous years.

The law- as you later mention- requires a specific necessity to arrest, providing certain conditions are met, for any offence. Plenty of offences would be dealt with by other means, not just at Pride but on any day of the year. People absolutely aren't arrested unconditionally every time they do something wrong: there are various means by which people can be dealt with. Fixed penalty notices, community resolutions, summons to court, street warnings, cautions etc.

Pride is a massive event, therefore it's inevitable criminality will go up somewhat while it's on, purely due to the number of people attending. But in reality, I don't think it's significantly out of proportion to the event, any more than it would be in, say, Lewes on Bonfire Night, another occasion requiring huge police resources.

I'd be interested to hear what offences you were encouraged to deal with 'robustly', gotta love that oft used word from the police, and which offences it was decided would be dealt with less seriously.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
You can doubt all you like It makes no odds to me. There were plenty of officers on the ground and the numbers would not have been remotely affected by making arrests since there were teams on at the cell block to take over any prisoners and investigations. You cherry pick a couple of offences but the fact was that numerous offences that would normally result in an arrest were simply ignored because it was Pride. I'm not making this up, ask any number of coppers on duty on the day although Edna will probably toe the party line and dispute that no doubt, I'd be very surprised to see her admit it and risk making such a statement on here.

If you can give me specific examples I'll give you the benefit of the doubt, otherwise I tend to take internet lawyers with a pinch of salt. Nowt personal. I think if Edna didn't want to incriminate herself she would just not comment.
Anywho, makes no odds to me, I don't do drugs, don't fight, don't bum people in hedges and don't attend pride. In fact I was strolling on the Downs while all this mad law breaking was being committed far below me. I was drinking a lemonade and munching on a cold beef sandwich. With English mustard.

WonderingSoton

Dec 3, 2014
I think Pride has now largely been hijacked by the straights anyway. In my experience rather than a serious expression of diversity or positive impression towards the LGBT and Trans community its now just an excuse for feral alcohol and drug fuelled excess, Its bloody horrible and I know many locals feel the same way and avoid the city this weekend.

It seems its ok this weekend to do whatever the hell you like regardless of the law and the police are instructed to turn a blind eye, wear rainbow laces and just accept the increase in drug dealing, drunken idiots, serious assaults and sex offences. But hey if thats your thing then your welcome, come to Brighton get yourself w.ankered and leave the city looking like a sh.ithole at 6am the following morning.

This is the reality now.
The event needs cleaning up if it is to be as inclusive and celebratory as it purports.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
This is the reality now.
The event needs cleaning up if it is to be as inclusive and celebratory as it purports.

I think basically the problem is it's a festival sized event that doesn't have the controls a festival has. It's spread citywide instead of in one specific area.

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
I'm not making this up, ask any number of coppers on duty on the day.

Well you are though. You have one here & she heard no such thing.

Toe the party line: give over. If it was something that controversial I'd simply offer no comment. I'm saying I was there all evening, and nobody once mentioned not nicking people. They have specific teams on just to deal with prisoners for big events like Pride, or Lewes bonfire etc (that never normally happens on a Saturday night), so if anything, it would have been easier to nick people than normal, not harder.

There was no "ignore offences because it's Pride" order, I can absolutely tell you that now, whatever you choose to think.

The Fifth Column

Retired ex-cop
Nov 30, 2010
Escaped from Corruption
Well you are though. You have one here & she heard no such thing.

Toe the party line: give over. If it was something that controversial I'd simply offer no comment. I'm saying I was there all evening, and nobody once mentioned not nicking people. They have specific teams on just to deal with prisoners for big events like Pride, or Lewes bonfire etc (that never normally happens on a Saturday night), so if anything, it would have been easier to nick people than normal, not harder.

There was no "ignore offences because it's Pride" order, I can absolutely tell you that now, whatever you choose to think.

With all respect Edna, you're a traffic copper aren't you? So your experience was one of cruising around in your Beemer or Audi no doubt concentrating primarily on traffic related issues I don't imagine for one minute you were likely mixing it up with the rabble in the town centre. Those coppers on foot for 10 hours in the city centre tell a different story however. I know there was no actual 'order' not to nick people but once the cell block was full up I know for a fact that officers were being told to avoid nicking people, this isn;t me making it up it's your colleagues out on the ground telling me this. I guess your experience was different to theirs.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here