Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The Amex vs The Theatre

burrish-gull

Mar 24, 2009
No Mid Sussex, it was Gatwick was once in Surrey but they moved the boundary .Haywards Heath was in East Sussex but it was transferred to West Sussex in the early 70s as we felt we should live in a county that it's against the law to marry our sisters.:facepalm::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Burwash doesn't want Haywards Heath in Kent :p

Seagull1989

Oct 31, 2011
I thought this was going to be a thread on our fans slow clap and how the Amex is now like a theatre rather than a stadium

Kenhead

Oct 1, 2003
Brighton
Agree with all your points, just that there are plenty of cheaper alternatives and the highly corporate nature of The Albion (and football) relies on the good will of not only the "old guard" like me but the new fans. Its vital they get it right on the pitch because at the moment its massively lacking and that good will comes at a price that outstrips many clubs in The Championship. I will always go but I counter many thousands won't unless they start getting back what they are putting in to the football club, its not about winning EVERY week but it IS about having a team that actually looks good enough to compete at this level and entertain to some extent....

Season Ticket's are fine, I think your points can be more towards the floating fans. If people can only make a couple of games a season then I can see them choosing other options. Now that the Millwall game has been moved it clashes with a concert that I've also got tickets for so going to skip the game but will of course be at the Reading match. But for a non-season ticket holder the cheapest match ticket is £32, it's on the box and as you say there's plenty of alternatives for those fans to choose. Those are the 'concern', I guess the club are trying to address this slightly by doing the floodlight package as an example. Actually thinking on it I'm surprised they haven't included the Millwall game in that as id imagine that one would be a tough one to sell tickets for.

Mellor 3 Ward 4

Jul 27, 2004
saaf of the water
You need to teach them that defeat and misery is all part of the experience otherwise the good times don't feel half as good.

Exactly.

I first took my son to watch The Albion, when he was about four at Gillingham.

I think we lost 3-1, and we were awful.

But it makes the win at Cardiff, the Swindons, Chesterfields, promotions etc all the more special.

burrish-gull

Mar 24, 2009
Season Ticket's are fine, I think your points can be more towards the floating fans. If people can only make a couple of games a season then I can see them choosing other options. Now that the Millwall game has been moved it clashes with a concert that I've also got tickets for so going to skip the game but will of course be at the Reading match. But for a non-season ticket holder the cheapest match ticket is £32, it's on the box and as you say there's plenty of alternatives for those fans to choose. Those are the 'concern', I guess the club are trying to address this slightly by doing the floodlight package as an example. Actually thinking on it I'm surprised they haven't included the Millwall game in that as id imagine that one would be a tough one to sell tickets for.

Agree, I jointly set up Seagulls Over Burwash when The Amex opened, for 10 years the ONLY people going to watch the Albion regularly from my village, were practically me and my dad. When we started the supporters club the membership jumped to 100 plus (it eventually hit 200) they are now running two coaches from Burwash and Heathfield weekly. My point is a large percentage of those new members were new fans, many are starting to tail off and quite a few now don't go at all, asked why they all say the same thing, the football has become dire and its too expensive.

We don't have a right to be in The Premier League, we are historically a League One side and you can argue we don't want or need these new fans but without a decent side playing attractive football they simply won't come (whatever match day"gimmicks" are put in place) lets be honest the club simply can't sustain itself or mount a challenge on The Prem without them. Tony Bloom is a hero in my book but he's taken his eye off the ball with regards to player recruitment this season, he must be as disappointed as anyone I would guess.

We missed the boat at The Palarse play-off game in my opinion, the club knows it and we all know it, I can see a few years a flirting with relegation and mid-table until the academy bears some fruit, watch attendances drop, its going to be a bumpy ride but as one of the old guard of fans I'll always go, its in my blood....

Last edited:

hart's shirt

Jul 8, 2003
Kitbag in Dubai
I understand the "ups and downs" but as we are continually told by the club, we are "customers" and if thats the case plenty of other less committed people might well take their "custom" elsewhere.

Yes, perhaps the credibility of many things on the Albion's commercial side should be taken with a pinch of Veruca Salt.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
I couldn't imagine going to watch that play 25 or so time s a season.

West Hoathly Seagull

Honorary Ruffian
Aug 26, 2003
Sharpthorne/SW11
A big future threat to the Albion's gates would be if the proposed 10,000 capacity ice rink (with B&H ice hockey team?) ever gets built at Black Rock. Mind you, the speed the council moves at, probably not a threat for the next 20 years or so.

What would be interesting would be if Worthing Rugby Club were ever to get promoted to the Premiership or Championship. Tickets would be considerably cheaper than for the Amex, you would be able to get a drink on the terraces, and fans could mix without any trouble. I await all the usual egg-chasing/game for public school boys insults (I went to Ardingly, but am a football nut, so it's water off a duck's back). What burrish-gull's post does show is (notwithstanding Beach Hut's insulting response) that parents with finite resources have several choices, and no, they probably wouldn't go to the theatre every week, but should the theatre start becoming more attractive than the football, they are going to spend less on football, with all the lost kits, etc.

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
Classic example of bad parenting - you could have taken them to the theatre when we played away? You let your club down, your kids down but most of all yourself down.

Ps - I loved it too! Nigel Planner still playing Grandpa?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here