Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The Amazon Echo....that lttle slut Alexa, WOW

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Everything that you ask Alexa is recorded against your account.

Just like everything you type or order is recorded. If you use google, amazon, any streaming services music or video, etc. etc. it is recorded. Just because you speak it, doesn't make it any more or less recorded than typical digital usage.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Just like everything you type or order is recorded. If you use google, amazon, any streaming services music or video, etc. etc. it is recorded. Just because you speak it, doesn't make it any more or less recorded than typical digital usage.
The key point is that some people are concerned that it's recording everything you say, private conversations that could be hacked, sold, used against you (eg blackmail). That doesn't happen.

Mr Putdown

Jan 26, 2004
Christchurch

My post was specifically referring to the statement someone made that Alexa recorded information "not against your name, but as an occurrence" which is demonstrably wrong.

Bold Seagull

Mar 18, 2010
Hove
The key point is that some people are concerned that it's recording everything you say, private conversations that could be hacked, sold, used against you (eg blackmail). That doesn't happen.

Same with a laptop though, or phone or tablet, they have a microphone and camera - not sure why being able to talk to something suddenly changes concerns over electrical devices listening or recording what you say. :shrug:

Bold Seagull

Mar 18, 2010
Hove
My post was specifically referring to the statement someone made that Alexa recorded information "not against your name, but as an occurrence" which is demonstrably wrong.

Jumping into someone else's conversation is never a good idea..point taken.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
** KLAXON**

NEW feature...

We're excited to announce Alexa calling and messaging, making it easier for you to keep in touch with friends and family.

Now you can call or message anyone hands-free using Amazon Echo, Echo Dot, Echo Plus, Echo Show or the Alexa app on supported smart phones – at no additional cost.

Alexa will let you know when someone is calling and the light ring will pulse green on supported Echo devices. You can ask Alexa to answer or ignore the call. Learn more

You can also enable a new feature called Drop In when you want to connect with your closest family and friends, or other Echo devices in your home. For example, you can drop in to ask what time dinner will be ready, or check in with a close relative. With Drop In, you're always in control—turn it off at any time, select who is allowed to Drop In on you, and choose which devices are available for Drop In.

All you need to do to get started is update your Alexa App and follow the in-app prompts. Once you’ve verified your phone number and synced your contacts, just ask Alexa to place a call. And with the Echo Show and the Alexa App, you’ll also be able to make video calls.

Calling
How do I make a call?
"Alexa, call Mum"

How do I receive calls?
"Alexa,answer the call"

Messaging
How do I send a voice message?
"Alexa, send Jenny a message"

How do I retrieve messages?
When receiving a new message, the light ring on your supported Amazon Echo device pulses yellow and the device chimes. Alexa also delivers the messages to your Alexa App. To hear your messages, just ask:
"Alexa, play my messages"

A new way to be together
Who can I call and message?
You can call or message any contact who has the free Alexa App on their supported smart phone or an Echo device, and has enabled Alexa calling and messaging. Once you update the Alexa App, you can see which contacts have also enabled Alexa calling and messaging. Don't see your friends or family in the app? Just forward this email to help them get started.
What if I have an Echo and my dad has an Echo Dot—can we still call or message each other?
Yes!
What if my friends don't have an Echo, can I still call or message them?
Yes! Those friends would simply need to download the free Alexa App on their phone (currently available within the UK, on iOS 9.0 or higher and Android 5.0 or higher) and enable Alexa calling and messaging.
How much does Alexa calling and messaging cost?
It's available at no additional cost.
Where can I learn more?
Learn more about Alexa and Echo here: amazon.co.uk/alexacalling

I'm liking this. I've got several mates with Alexa's now...once they activate, we'll be able to call and/or leave each other abusive messages on our Echos. Yes yes, we can do that over our phones anyway, but how much FUN will it be to piss about with each others Echos. Gotta try this out :lolol:

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patron
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel
Being a technophobe and having been bullied by the bin lids into getting Apple Music what are my options for such a device or it's Apple related device?

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Being a technophobe and having been bullied by the bin lids into getting Apple Music what are my options for such a device or it's Apple related device?

1. Wait for the HomePod: https://www.apple.com/uk/homepod/
2. New Sonos that come with Alexa (I'm not sure if it's full-blown Alexa though): http://www.sonos.com/en-gb/shop and then: http://www.sonos.com/en-gb/apple-music-on-sonos
3. Buy an Echo: http://amzn.to/2yTPRdV and use the Bluetooth thingummy for music: http://www.tuneskit.com/apple-music-tips/apple-music-to-amazon-echo.html

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patron
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patron
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel
Those are “or”s not “and”s BTW!

Oops, had created a list!

Have to say as a long time Apple fan I'm really seeing a difference in price now that more supplementary products are coming out and android appears to offer more?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here