Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] The Always Ultras - utter embarrassment to English football

Nixonator

Feb 8, 2016
Shoreham Beach
Not apologising for behaviour but why are under 10s at midweek games that finish at 10pm & they won't get home until at least 11pm & many at midnight - on a school night

Not to mention the fact of who it's against & the likelihood of trouble - some parents need to have a word with themselves & the risks they are prepared to put their kids into

How was it a risk exactly? We never saw a palace fan the whole evening much less any trouble, and were home by 10:30. Kids are already way too wrapped up in cotton wool nowadays so I think you need to have a word with yourself.

If there is one game this season to have taken them to it was this one, we could have won and it been a special evening. Instead it was a dour game of football and some dickheads let off some bangers 100 yards from us which required some reassuring, hindsight is a wonderful thing. Still, he returned home safely with greater dislike for those 'idiots' at palace and fresh as a daisy in the morning. Job done.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
Is letting off fire crackers in a sports stadium a jailable offence ?

Moshe Gariani

Mar 10, 2005
How was it a risk exactly? We never saw a palace fan the whole evening much less any trouble, and were home by 10:30. Kids are already way too wrapped up in cotton wool nowadays so I think you need to have a word with yourself.

If there is one game this season to have taken them to it was this one, we could have won and it been a special evening. Instead it was a dour game of football and some dickheads let off some bangers 100 yards from us which required some reassuring, hindsight is a wonderful thing. Still, he returned home safely with greater dislike for those 'idiots' at palace and fresh as a daisy in the morning. Job done.
This. I'm sorry about people who had worse experiences, there is obviously that chance with Brighton v Palace, but I'm glad I took my son (aged 10) on Tuesday night. He wasn't 100% sure about all of the goings on but most of it he thoroughly enjoyed (despite the damp squib of the game) and I tucked him in at around midnight happy that another piece of his Albion jigsaw was in place.

Less good was that Mrs. G. got called in to go and pick him up from school at 1.00pm yesterday because he was so exhausted - but c'est la vie and she was very understanding about it all...

Seagulltonian

C'mon the Albion!
Oct 2, 2003
Still Somewhere in Sussex!
Have they ever been? Never seen a game so heavily policed and yet when flares and fireworks were being let off they were nowhere to be seen.

I have commented on the incompetent cowardly stewards on another thread.

Would you go wading in to some tooled up twats in the away end, surrounded by their mates, whilst on the minimum wage? I don't think so!
This was always gonna be a grade A match for shit like this! It shouldn't have been stewards trying to marshall it, the Police presence should have been bigger!
In this day and age of "intelligence" and co-operation between clubs, the preparation for this match appears to have been lacking some what! Yet again!
Liverpool on Saturday will be a walk in the park by comparison!

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
Is letting off fire crackers in a sports stadium a jailable offence ?

is a Capital Offence isnt it?

the first one I heard immediately made me thing of the scenes at the Parc De Princes when France played Germany(?) when those murderers tried to kill as many people watching a football match as they could. As they blew themselves up, the fans not knowing what was happening, were cheering thinking someone was setting off a firework.....judging by the silence that followed the first bang for a few seconds, I wonder how many other people thought the same.

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
Liverpool on Saturday will be a walk in the park by comparison!

Flares let off by Liverpool fans at Stoke last night.

[tweet]935992072565329922[/tweet]

I guess they can expect some more invasive searching than might have been the case previously.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Would you go wading in to some tooled up twats in the away end, surrounded by their mates, whilst on the minimum wage? I don't think so!
This was always gonna be a grade A match for shit like this! It shouldn't have been stewards trying to marshall it, the Police presence should have been bigger!
In this day and age of "intelligence" and co-operation between clubs, the preparation for this match appears to have been lacking some what! Yet again!

Should have been bigger? Again, maybe with hindsight you can say that, but the number of police around was vast and pulled from many other forces beyond Sussex I believe.

When the first pyros started going off I though "the police will appear soon", but they didn't. Little did I, or most of us, know what was going on outside the stadium at that time...

[tweet]935603071337541632[/tweet]

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home

I guess they can expect some more invasive searching than might have been the case previously.

on social media there are videos of eastern Europeans ( and scandinavians) letting off fireworks and flares in the stadiums and the comments on them are mostly around " how fantastic" " How brilliant" " that is showing passion"etc...

This one is mental...

Moshe Gariani

Mar 10, 2005
Should have been bigger? Again, maybe with hindsight you can say that, but the number of police around was vast and pulled from many other forces beyond Sussex I believe.

When the first pyros started going off I though "the police will appear soon", but they didn't. Little did I, or most of us, know what was going on outside the stadium at that time...

The bit I don't understand is why the police so obviously completely misunderstand how much power a very small unit, say 6 of their more able men, are now able to exert in the relatively controlled environment in and around a football stadium. That video of the Palace fans getting past one or two reasonably game but passive stewards would just be chalk and cheese.

Nixonator

Feb 8, 2016
Shoreham Beach

That's not a flare, it's a smoke bomb. They get very hot at the top but there is no flame like there is with a flare (as shown in the video you linked).

As I've said before, we have let plenty off (smoke bombs) in away ends very recently so let's not get precious about some red smoke. Yes they are a minor fire hazard and dangerous to asthmatics but they are not in the same category as actual flares which are a major fire hazard and rook scarers which are basically explosives.

is a Capital Offence isnt it?

the first one I heard immediately made me thing of the scenes at the Parc De Princes when France played Germany(?) when those murderers tried to kill as many people watching a football match as they could. As they blew themselves up, the fans not knowing what was happening, were cheering thinking someone was setting off a firework.....judging by the silence that followed the first bang for a few seconds, I wonder how many other people thought the same.

When the first one went off, for a very brief moment I thought "Shit", then immediately remembered we were playing Palace.

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
As I've said before, we have let plenty off (smoke bombs) in away ends very recently so let's not get precious about some red smoke. Yes they are a small fire hazard and dangerous to asthmatics but they are not in the same category as actual flares which are a major fire hazard and rook scarers which are basically explosives.

Okay smoke bombs.

And who is getting precious?

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA

Minute before kick off this lot was going on ...that took a fair amount of police resources

https://vimeo.com/244926463

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Not apologising for behaviour but why are under 10s at midweek games that finish at 10pm & they won't get home until at least 11pm & many at midnight - on a school night
I took mine, as always. Home by 10:20. They have a season ticket, there are a lot of evening games so it wouldn't make sense to miss them all because it's a bit late.

Not to mention the fact of who it's against & the likelihood of trouble - some parents need to have a word with themselves & the risks they are prepared to put their kids into
I didn't expect to see any trouble, and we didn't. My kids came to the last two Palace matches at the Amex and didn't see any trouble then either. I don't really feel the need to have a word with myself thanks.

Nixonator

Feb 8, 2016
Shoreham Beach
Okay smoke bombs.

And who is getting precious?

Not you, just general feeling like it is outrageous and unheard of that we let some smoke bombs through. They get through most searches accross the country if someone is determined enough and prepared to take the risk.

Just thought there needed to be clarification and distinction between each, as some are far more dangerous than others.

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
Not you, just general feeling like it is outrageous and unheard of that we let some smoke bombs through. They get through most searches accross the country if someone is determined enough and prepared to take the risk.

Just thought there needed to be clarification and distinction between each, as some are far more dangerous than others.

Fair enough.

I guess it's not so much the pyro, it's the fact that this lot were also armed that is different. One or tweo smoke bombs okay, shouldn't happen, breaking in to a stadium using pyro whilst carrying weapons is pretty full on though.

sully

Dunscouting
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing

My dad used to take me in the 70s when I was 7 - 17 years old (school nights and all) and it was far more dangerous than it is nowadays. I certainly wouldn’t call him a bad parent.

Perhaps you should have a word with yourself about how much modern kids are mollycoddled by their parents and applaud those who let their kids live a little.

mothy

Dec 30, 2012
My dad used to take me in the 70s when I was 7 - 17 years old (school nights and all) and it was far more dangerous than it is nowadays. I certainly wouldn’t call him a bad parent.

Perhaps you should have a word with yourself about how much modern kids are mollycoddled by their parents and applaud those who let their kids live a little.

Yep - my hang over wasn't great yesterday & i was being a miserable / argumentative git.

I wouldnt take my under 10s midweek until they are that - thats my choice though & all parents know their kids & (mostly) whats best for them

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here