The all new Ashley Barnes thread

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Pogue Mahone

Apr 30, 2011
What rubbish we let him go because Burnley gave him £1k a week more than we thought he was worth plus an extra years contract, and we knew we could bring in better players cheaper, which I think they will prove we have.

Eh? Yes, we have brought players in, and hopefully they have been cheaper. If they haven't been, serious questions need to be asked.

But you asked which games he would have played in, and I answered. And given Rodriguez and Lingard's performances so far, he'd have made a far more effective impact.

Big G

Dec 14, 2005
Brighton
Nonsense. He regularly played when Ulloa was in the team, or came on as a sub and improved the team's performance.

We have also missed AEA, and he wasn't a regular at the end either.

Have to agree about El Abd - I think we do miss his no nonsense approach at the back at times and thought the way he progressed over last few season was fantastic.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Of the twelve games Barnes and Ulloa were both available (injuries to both, and suspension for Ulloa) they played together (either both starting, or one starting and the other coming on as a a sub) in 8 of them.

If we still had barnes, we would not have signed david rodriguez or lingard. Without them, and with Lualua and Buckley having inconsistent fitness, it is naive to think Barnes would not have continued to play regularly, whether starting or coming off the bench to shore up defence or provide another attacking option, depending on the games' needs.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
No!

I do sometimes keep an eye on former players....but have moved on from him leaving and quite frankly couldn't give a flying fvck about what he does.

Our fate is our own to decide now!

The OP is a Burnley fan.

stss30

Apr 24, 2008
What is all this passion stuff about? Half the time he looked interested, yes. Other half he acted like a petulant child when things weren't going his way. Were we all drooling over his 'passion' when he tripped the ref and almost cost us a play off place last season? When Burnley came calling with a decent fee and offered him higher wages it was a good deal for both clubs imo.

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
Have to agree about El Abd - I think we do miss his no nonsense approach at the back at times and thought the way he progressed over last few season was fantastic.

Odd thing to say. Adam has many attributes, but surely one of the frustrating things about Adam was the nonsense he got up to at the back?

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
Eh? Yes, we have brought players in, and hopefully they have been cheaper. If they haven't been, serious questions need to be asked.

I very much doubt any of the players we got in are cheaper than Barnes was.

Neecha

Jul 10, 2012
London
I know that quite a few people on here like to keep an eye on former players, and why shouldn't they?

Any road, it's looking very much like Danny Ings is going to be out for a bit (sorry that's all the info that I've got), so Ashley will be stepping in.

He's done well in his few cameo appearances and is a good replacement for Ings.

Do you think our promotion charge will suffer with Barnes coming in for Ings?

Play offs it is then

Aug 23, 2011
If Burnley are depending on Barnes to score lots of goals we're still in with a chance of getting 2nd place.

If they only draw their remaining 11 games they will get to 81 points which probably isn't going to be far off what's required for second place, 84/85 points will probably be enough. So Barnes probably only needs to score 3 or 4 goals to help them achieve promotion.

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
He'll do a solid job in Ings absence. You'll be alright.

Seagull1989

Oct 31, 2011
He was marmite here. I personally was a massive fan of Barnes. Although he wasn't a left winger and more a centre forward so was being played out of position. Where will you guys play him?

Kevlar

Dec 20, 2013
I have not got the stats but I am sure that Barnes contributed
more goals from the wide attacking berth than any other of our
players who have played there in our 3 seasons in the
championship but I cannot remember many decent crosses
I would be interested in comparing his assist rate to the others.
THe facts are clear our defence has been better than our attack
ULLOA has in the main done his job well
but our wide attacking players have been ineffective
not just this season either.
it will be interesting to see how Barnes performs as a part of
a strike partnership.my guess is he will do ok but not great.
But the championship football is high quality and to do ok
is an accomplishment as our offensive record shows.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
I think Ashley will do well, Burnley bought well there IMO.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports