Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The Albion Roar

HH Brighton

Jul 25, 2003
The way Liz Costa keeps going 'we don't want our stadium ruined'. Who **** just she think she is? Some of the stuff she comes out with on show are a joke. She said Goldson 'didn't look clinical enough', she said 'Duffy has been a good addition to the back row' and loads of other sentences that make her sound like she hasn't got a clue about football. She just likes the coach ride and packed lunch.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
It appears we've upset a few people by having them on the show. This wasn't our intention.

We knew before they came on air that they were against safe standing. The consideration that it's probably not the opinion of most of the Albion fans, by and large, shouldn't preclude them from being able to air their views. If there was/is a coherent argument against safe standing, it should be heard, and from there we can have a debate.

I understand the concerns - to a certain extent - about the aesthetics of the stadium (those safe-standing Meccano seats are pig-ugly - an issue which could be get-roundable), and the concern over sightlines (addressed by Paul Barber on the show the previous week and at the Fans' Forum), and the cost issue (which would be an issue for Tony; he would need persuading).

But personally, I’d draw the line at calling John and Liz ‘idiots’. They’re clearly not. To inisist they are idiots would be then getting into the realms of a witch-hunt, which I'd be upset if that's what I'd thought we'd started. But I certainly don't hold sway with barking at people to go outside if they want to stand. That is silly, and John - whom I have great affection for - has let himself down a bit there.

I barely agree with a word they say but that doesn't mean it's not worth having them on. A good diverse range of guests recently. The show absolutely needs it to avoid getting stale. As usual in the media it's someone with a different voice and opinion who has caused controversy - must be the most amount of posts about a show this season.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Was so baffled by so much Liz Costa said.

Also Ady said an unintentionally classic line at one point, regarding Anthony Knockaert; "he can't be mercurial all the time".....

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
It appears we've upset a few people by having them on the show. This wasn't our intention.

We knew before they came on air that they were against safe standing. The consideration that it's probably not the opinion of most of the Albion fans, by and large, shouldn't preclude them from being able to air their views. If there was/is a coherent argument against safe standing, it should be heard, and from there we can have a debate.

I understand the concerns - to a certain extent - about the aesthetics of the stadium (those safe-standing Meccano seats are pig-ugly - an issue which could be get-roundable), and the concern over sightlines (addressed by Paul Barber on the show the previous week and at the Fans' Forum), and the cost issue (which would be an issue for Tony; he would need persuading).

But personally, I’d draw the line at calling John and Liz ‘idiots’. They’re clearly not. To inisist they are idiots would be then getting into the realms of a witch-hunt, which I'd be upset if that's what I'd thought we'd started. But I certainly don't hold sway with barking at people to go outside if they want to stand. That is silly, and John - whom I have great affection for - has let himself down a bit there.

Let people be upset. It's good to hear differing views. It's meant to be civil, but it's not meant to be a love in.

Honestly, the way people are responding I thought Liz and John had called for a ban on alcohol sales. The safe standing section only lasted a few minutes. John Lees does get a bit snakey about it but that's how he feels. I'm the opposite, but I'm not going to stop listening because I don't agree with some of the opinions.

The only thing I felt was that it took a while to settle down as John doesn't stop talking when he gets the platform. It also went wildly off topic on a few occasions. But, then again, you have four people in the studio and it doesn't always flow. But for the most part it did.

I don't want to see NSC approved guests. I want to see a cross section of people from the footie community. The programme is working well.

If it's causing such a stir make sure you invite them back.

Last edited:

Eeyore

NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
The way Liz Costa keeps going 'we don't want our stadium ruined'. Who **** just she think she is? Some of the stuff she comes out with on show are a joke. She said Goldson 'didn't look clinical enough', she said 'Duffy has been a good addition to the back row' and loads of other sentences that make her sound like she hasn't got a clue about football. She just likes the coach ride and packed lunch.

Good for her. She seeks no ones approval. She says it as she sees it.

I think Liz can be quite cantankerous at times, but she's done a lot for people who support this club and it shouldn't be forgotten. More worth a doer who loves what they know and knows what they love (the Albion) than a person who just turns up at some games, follows the crowd, and cares nothing else.

My opinions are far more in line with the majority of NSC, but Liz is ten times the person I am when it comes to devotion to this club and its success.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Now listened to the episode in full - Ady and Al, you did well not to get a bit narky. They genuinely turned into spoilt children for about a minute or so. Also they were completely missing the point of safe standing, how it would work, and the possibility of it basically not affecting the aesthetics of the stadium at all.

I definitely sensed the shocked silence from the two of you after John's outburst.

Captain Sensible

Jul 8, 2003
Not the real one

Also (before I turned it off), I remember her saying that Sam Baldock didn't score enough goals last season because he thought he is a better player than he is. What?? That makes no sense. Baldock's running off the ball, high work rate shows his commitment and his unselfishness in front of goal is the reason he didn't score enough last year. I think actually the opposite is true from what she said. The point I'm making is that yes everybody can have an opinion, but it's the content of the opinion that gives it its worth. And the opinion on safe standing, didn't have much worth because it had no content. They seemed to be unable to explain the exact reason behind why they were against safe standing other than it might spoil the look of the AMEX for them. What is the point of listening to somebody that has an opinion like that? I don't think there is, that's why after Lees comment about standing outside to watch football, I had to turn it off.

Aug 11, 2003
The Open Market
Now listened to the episode in full - Ady and Al, you did well not to get a bit narky. They genuinely turned into spoilt children for about a minute or so. Also they were completely missing the point of safe standing, how it would work, and the possibility of it basically not affecting the aesthetics of the stadium at all.

I definitely sensed the shocked silence from the two of you after John's outburst.

There was a touch of 'blimey, better leave that there...' in the immediate aftermath.

Aug 11, 2003
The Open Market
Anyway, this week's guest is Albion freelance photographer and former radio presenter Bennett Dean.

HH Brighton

Jul 25, 2003
Also (before I turned it off), I remember her saying that Sam Baldock didn't score enough goals last season because he thought he is a better player than he is. What?? That makes no sense. Baldock's running off the ball, high work rate shows his commitment and his unselfishness in front of goal is the reason he didn't score enough last year. I think actually the opposite is true from what she said. The point I'm making is that yes everybody can have an opinion, but it's the content of the opinion that gives it its worth. And the opinion on safe standing, didn't have much worth because it had no content. They seemed to be unable to explain the exact reason behind why they were against safe standing other than it might spoil the look of the AMEX for them. What is the point of listening to somebody that has an opinion like that? I don't think there is, that's why after Lees comment about standing outside to watch football, I had to turn it off.

Exactly this, some people are just not football people and have no insight into the game she seems like one of them. She may travel all over the country to watch games and so fair play to her and I'm all for people having there opinion, doesn't mean that we're not allowed to comment on it though.

Wilko

LUZZING chairs about
Sep 19, 2003
BN1
There was a touch of 'blimey, better leave that there...' in the immediate aftermath.

I thought you handled that bit very well, must have been tempting to get into a heated one about standing but I understand why you didn´t and I think you smoothed it over onto the next set of questions well. I do not agree with Liz´s thoughts either btw but she is entitled to her opinion and I really respect everything she does for the club. She was asked a direct question about safe standing and she responded, fair enough.

Eeyore

NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
But most importantly WHAT DOES THIS HE THINK OF SAFE STANDING?!

:thumbsup:

We've already found out that we can stand outside. I wonder if that will be added to the attendance.

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
We've already found out that we can stand outside. I wonder if that will be added to the attendance.

Talking of attendances, this morning at the Networking meeting at the Amex the actual attendance from Saturday was announced as a little over 27000, not at all shabby, I think it was also said that there were fewer 'no shows' on Saturday than maybe is usual.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
I thought you handled that bit very well, must have been tempting to get into a heated one about standing but I understand why you didn´t and I think you smoothed it over onto the next set of questions well. I do not agree with Liz´s thoughts either btw but she is entitled to her opinion and I really respect everything she does for the club. She was asked a direct question about safe standing and she responded, fair enough.

Spot on.

Shame that John Lee's opinion is that anyone who disagrees with his viewpoint on safe standing shouldn't go into the stadium though!

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Talking of attendances, this morning at the Networking meeting at the Amex the actual attendance from Saturday was announced as a little over 27000, not at all shabby, I think it was also said that there were fewer 'no shows' on Saturday than maybe is usual.

Pretty damn good considering it was half term.....

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
Yep, lovely guy, worked with him for a while many moons ago and always an interesting Albion chat on a Monday morning. Should be a good show.

But.........................did he ever buy a round?

I've known Bennett for 35 years but he's the tightest man on the planet.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here