Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The Albion Roar - your thoughts, please...

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
I would leave it as be, it is after all in my view a show presented by fans for fans.

The dangers of any thoughts of representing supporters is you will immediately be accused of being on a power trip with your own agenda.

I actually prefer peripheral BHAFC guests / fans in the studio - peripheral is not to demean anyones status as AITC is fantastic and to hear what they do is brilliant and far more interesting than what a club official might say which clearly at times is just towing the club line. The unsung people who work for other parts of the club are far more interesting and I suspect many people have no clue what AITC or REMF etc are and the Roar is the right vehicle to broadcast what they do. The recent show with those two kids was fantastic and AITC is brilliant and has kept my eldest busy for the last 6 months.

The best ever show was with Vinicombe - outstanding.
Saved me a bit of typing there Beach Hut, thank you.

Yes, i don't think The Roar should be a hard-hitting, investigative show asking the tricky questions that Andy Naylor won't. Also there's no need for a Gulls Eye / BISA type approach at the moment when with the odd individual exception (such as bangate) the club and the fans are all very much on the same side.

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
Think it's spot on as it is, can't believe people have still found things to moan about!

One issue I have is that I always listen to it live before Saturday home matches, but miss it before away matches and find it completely out of date subsequently. I'm surprised so many listen to the podcast actually as it really is the sort of thing that needs to be up to date, generally. As I discussed with Ady, it would be good if those editions on days of away matches could be made available on the Friday evening so that we could listen to them in the car on the way up to said matches, with home match editions being live.

Also wish it was longer!!!

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
Couldn't you do a phone-in? Then you'd be a 'ringpiece'.

Um, sensible suggestion, couldn't you maybe put the show out on the Sunday rather than the Saturday? Current timeslot means you clash with Football Focus and people's pre-match pre-loading. Also if it was on the Sunday, you'd be discussing the game we'd just seen, rather than one thats a week old.

You have not been charged for this sensible suggestion - tho a pint of Kronie wouldn't go amiss :cheers:

We have thought about doing the show after the match - Sunday isn't a bad suggestion. I'm not sure I'd want to do a show straight after the game like Standing on the Glebe. If we did it that soon, especially after matches like Palace or Burnley, they risk being an incoherent rant. A bit of objectivity is required, I'd say.

I'll put it to the powers that be at the radio station.

Stoaty Ferret

Jul 11, 2003
Brighton
Its a cracking show/podcast and I never miss it. You manage to capture the experience of the games very well and come across as knowledgeable and insightful. The quality of guests this season has been great as well and in the past I've really enjoyed the Mayo,FDM, Vinnicombe/Naylor and Bloom appearances. The 'banter' between you can come across as a bit bitchy even if thats not how you really are with each other. I'd also say the shirt of the week spot is a bit pointless if we can't see it. Put it on the website?? I wouldn't want the show to change from a show by fans for fans. Good work fellas.

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
We have thought about doing the show after the match - Sunday isn't a bad suggestion. I'm not sure I'd want to do a show straight after the game like Standing on the Glebe. If we did it that soon, especially after matches like Palace or Burnley, they risk being an incoherent rant. A bit of objectivity is required, I'd say.

I'd be gutted if it was after the match, it's an essential part of my pre-match build up.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Its a cracking show/podcast and I never miss it. You manage to capture the experience of the games very well and come across as knowledgeable and insightful. The quality of guests this season has been great as well and in the past I've really enjoyed the Mayo,FDM, Vinnicombe/Naylor and Bloom appearances. The 'banter' between you can come across as a bit bitchy even if thats not how you really are with each other. I'd also say the shirt of the week spot is a bit pointless if we can't see it. Put it on the website?? I wouldn't want the show to change from a show by fans for fans. Good work fellas.

The point about the shirt of the week is oldfootballshirts.com sponsors the show so hardly pointless

Aug 11, 2003
The Open Market

Tom Harks jokey comment about phone ins is relevant as back in the play off days we did have a phone out when we would call fans to get opinions which they were prepared for. I think bringing them back could be good. Phone ins are not doable as we don't have the set up.

Jonny

Aug 11, 2003
The Open Market
Saturday's show with Uncle Buck (Piers Benjamin) is now available via the Roar website - Albion Roar | Unofficial Brighton Hove Albion Football Club Radio Show or on iTunes

At the end of the show there is an interview tagged on the end with John Prescott when Ady and Al caught him for a few words at the game. It is recorded on a phone so the quality is not the best so please bear with it.

cheers

Jonny

Soul Finger

May 12, 2004
Great show on the whole.

To echo the other comments - don't aspire to be a 'mouthpiece for the fans'.

You haven't been voted in, you don't go to every game, and - with the hugest respect - you're not trained journalists.

Keep the 'banter' to a minimum as a lot of it isn't that funny, in my humble opinion.

Stick to what you're good at; making important guests feel comfortable enough to make the show an entertaining listen.

Keep up the good work lads. If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
If you can, help keep the show running please make a donation by visiting the Radio Reverb site and clicking on the donate button RadioReverb | Community Radio | Brighton,UK: Home every little helps, even if it's just a pound, you'll get a chance to say your favourite Radio Reverb show is the Albion Roar :thumbsup:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here