Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The Albion posts losses of £14.7m

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
This probably shows my ignorance in matters financial, but is the value of the players (as club assets) taken into account?

When a player is bought, the cost is taken on to the balance sheet and shown as an intangible asset. That total cost is then taken to the profit and loss account as a cost in equal annual chunks over the life of the contract that was signed (so, if a player was bought for £2m and had a 4 year contract, £500k pa would hit the P&L as a cost). When a player is sold, any transfer fee is taken to the P&L as income and all the remaining asset value is taken to the P&L as a cost at the time of the sale.

So, say our £2m player signs a 4 year deal in 2011/12 and is sold in 2013/14 for £3m.

The P&L effect would be:

2011/12: -£500k
2012/13: -£500k
2013/14: +£2m (£3m sale price minus the balance of the original purchase price not already taken to the P+L - £2m minus £500k minus £500k)

The net effect over the length of time that the player was with us is a profit of £1m (£3m sale price minus £2m cost price), which is exactly what you'd expect! It's just that the effect has been spread out over the time that he was playing for us.

Seagull over Canaryland

Feb 8, 2011
Norfolk
It is now becoming clear that Gus was made aware of the financial situation and that we would not be able to sign the players to get us into the playoffs, he had to make a choice either stay with us or move on to a Premiership side, he is doing very well at the moment and I wish him all the best.
Despite cut backs we have lost a large sum again and Bloom is covering it,all praise to him and I hope that there will be no further critism of him and our chief coach,we can maintain a decent position in our league,playing in a fine stadium, enjoy it there are many clubs who would be happy in our situation.

I can't reconcile the Gus situation last March when he asked to be released from his contract. OK our form at that time wasn't amazing but it wasn't too shabby either. We were contenders - and did get to the play offs. Its almost as if Gus doubted his own abilities with the squad at his disposal (yet they delivered) and allowed his head to be turned by thoughts of a job elsewhere. Plus he did not pick the strongest available side for the play offs, so things don't quite add up.

I do agree that back in March when he wanted to leave Gus would have been very aware of our financial position (especially for this season under FFP if we did not get promoted) but he had just signed Upson and Ulloa (£2m) so Gus certainly had decent backing from Tony Bloom. Plus we allegedly made a substantial offer for VVD. Ok the latter did not happen but the intent and presumably another £2m was there to spend. (Interesting: that £4m+ budget was more than we subsequently received for Bridcutt).

As it turned out we comfortably stormed to 4th place and for most of the play off games looked like the team most likely to go through. Surely Gus would have given every ounce of his efforts to win the play off and hopefully go on to secure promotion to the Prem and surely a huge transfer budget to match? Why did Gus not grasp the situation he was in control of - his reputation would have been greatly enhanced, thereby making himself even more marketable to a top Prem club and avoided all the negatives that subsequently emerged. Gus had these within his own grasp - but opted for the alternative?

Strange. The more I reflect on his role the more I see the root cause of our disjointed run this season as being Gus's fault than the Club's. I certainly think he sowed seeds of doubt in Bridcutt and maybe one or two other players heads and we have paid the price for that. It just makes Oscar's performance seem even more creditable given what went on before. The sooner Oscar gets the full squad available and without any transfer whispers in players ears the better.

CheeseRolls

NSC Patron
Jan 27, 2009
Shoreham Beach
I can't reconcile the Gus situation last March when he asked to be released from his contract. OK our form at that time wasn't amazing but it wasn't too shabby either. We were contenders - and did get to the play offs. Its almost as if Gus doubted his own abilities with the squad at his disposal (yet they delivered) and allowed his head to be turned by thoughts of a job elsewhere. Plus he did not pick the strongest available side for the play offs, so things don't quite add up.

The loan window remains open through until March. We were rumoured to be interested in a number of players at this time. It is not too wild a guess to suggest Gus wanted someone else to push across the finishing line, but was turned down, due to the budget.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
It doesn't appear on the Argus website, but this is part of Vicente's interview in the Argus of Saturday May 18 (when he laid into Poyet) where he clearly explains how he wasn't fit for the second leg:-

View attachment 50975

Thanks for posting this AZ. There is only an abbreviated version of this article on The Argus' website, but I remember those comments vividly. I'm still of the view that this is illustrative of Vicente's commitment to the club. He dresses this up as though he was doing the club a favour by withdrawing his availability -- or trying to blame Poyet -- but he could have taken the risk for the club's last and biggest game of the season.

Creaky

Mar 26, 2013
Hookwood - Nr Horley

I do agree that back in March when he wanted to leave Gus would have been very aware of our financial position (especially for this season under FFP if we did not get promoted) but he had just signed Upson and Ulloa (£2m) so Gus certainly had decent backing from Tony Bloom. Plus we allegedly made a substantial offer for VVD. Ok the latter did not happen but the intent and presumably another £2m was there to spend. (Interesting: that £4m+ budget was more than we subsequently received for Bridcutt).

As it turned out we comfortably stormed to 4th place and for most of the play off games looked like the team most likely to go through. Surely Gus would have given every ounce of his efforts to win the play off and hopefully go on to secure promotion to the Prem and surely a huge transfer budget to match? Why did Gus not grasp the situation he was in control of - his reputation would have been greatly enhanced, thereby making himself even more marketable to a top Prem club and avoided all the negatives that subsequently emerged. Gus had these within his own grasp - but opted for the alternative?

Strange. The more I reflect on his role the more I see the root cause of our disjointed run this season as being Gus's fault than the Club's. I certainly think he sowed seeds of doubt in Bridcutt and maybe one or two other players heads and we have paid the price for that. It just makes Oscar's performance seem even more creditable given what went on before. The sooner Oscar gets the full squad available and without any transfer whispers in players ears the better.

You've answered your own problem - there is nothing to reconcile as soon as you recognise that your assertion that GP "opted for the alternative" is WRONG.

For crying out loud it was ONE game of football - if the team 'favourite' to win any match always won there would be no need for the players to even start the match! - why is it so impossible to believe that it was nobody's fault and certainly no-one's deliberate design to go out and lose that match.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
A lot of it is loans let's not forget plus anonymous investors...

He's converted a lot of the loans to shares. Wouldn't be surprised if another 8 figure sum was converted on top of the £40 million he wrote off in September 2012.

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
Where do these 'anonymous investors' feature in the accounts or ownership of the club, if at all??

This could be a fascinating screenplay with "Uncle" Tony as the young upstart in the Jewish Mafia taking care of business.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
10 minutes and this will be all over BBS.

Let me guess. A 200 page thread with loads of homophobic digs along with apocalyptic conclusions about our finances ??? Haven't bothered with that Depressing Den of Delusion for a long time.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Where do these 'anonymous investors' feature in the accounts or ownership of the club, if at all??

If they are shareholders, it won't be in the accounts, but on the annual return at Companies House and so open to the public to buy for a few pennies.

If lenders/bondholders you won't find out. But there are no surprises as to the names of those lenders - in the Withdean era, it was DK, TB, Norman Cook, Derek Chapman, the owner of Friday Ad, and few others. As the losses accumulated over the Withdean era right to the end (we had a better squad than 6,000 gates could sustain and £m's was spent on fighting for Falmer, architects, planning experts), TB's share of those loans increasing dominated. Then once planning permission was given for Falmer which coincided with the banking crisis, as everyone knows only TB had the finances to inject cash taking those loans to the club to another level.

Del Fenner

Because of Boxing Day
Sep 5, 2011
An Away Terrace
70% of the clubs in the bottom half of the Premier League have had to change their manager this season.

So.....you have to pay for your overpriced season ticket.....even though virtually all your games will be on TV or streamed. You will almost certainly have to watch a different style of football, as your manager is despatched. Another huge wedge of your season ticket money spent on 'new' players for the 'new' manager...only to have them discarded 6 months later. The joy of watching matches on Sturday lunchtime, Sun day lunchtime, Sunday afternoon, Monday evening.......and as a very special treat......every so often, a game at 3 o clock on a Saturday.

All this....and of course the well worn football bollocks...."well, he (the new manager) needs a year to get the players to understand how he wants them to play".

Absolutely pathetic. I cannot think of anything worse than the Premier League.

Couldn't agree more.

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
Have the accounts been filed at Companies House yet? Still a bit confused about the size of the loss TBH.

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually
Have the accounts been filed at Companies House yet? Still a bit confused about the size of the loss TBH.

The club overspent last season deliberately. They brought foward expenses like the electronic advertising boards to avoid it going on this seasons accounts. I would hazard a guess that there was a long list of expenses being brought forward and we have only spent £500k purchasing Stephens this season whereas last year we bought Ulloa for £2m.

More seating at the Amex compared to the start of last season and higher gate averages brings in an extra £1-£2m.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here