Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] The Albion - Close season - victim of your own success

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011
Right now we're worrying about losing some of that mentioned list, but next summer it could be that after a good season with us we're worried about losing Mitoma, Undav. Van Hecke etc... The business model is now one that keeps this process going, we buy players cheap and sell a few on for inflated fees, all the while hopefully keeping us a Premier League team and improving each year.

I can't help feeling that Potter is the biggest risk to the model.
He does seem to be pretty adept at improving and utilising the young players.
With the tactical nous to keep us improving results in the process.

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
Getting on for 6 years in the Premier League with this year being close to the top 10 is quite a lot of seagulls, sorry swallows.

we were discussing goals, or lack of

I agree its slow steady progress, but we've been brought up on boom and bust, in every sense! :rolleyes:

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
we were discussing goals, or lack of

I agree its slow steady progress, but we've been brought up on boom and bust, in every sense! :rolleyes:

Its remarkable progress. Albion had no god given right to spend 6 years in the PL when promoted in 2017 and as frustrating as its been for home fans this season - it shouldn't detract from what is likely to be Albion's most successful season er, ever.

Cheeky Monkey

Jul 17, 2003
I can't help feeling that Potter is the biggest risk to the model.
He does seem to be pretty adept at improving and utilising the young players.
With the tactical nous to keep us improving results in the process.

100% He’s the one to worry about imho. Can’t stand Arsenal or Spurs, but as long as Arteta and Conte keep doing just enough to stay in their jobs we should be okay as I can’t see him being lined up by Newcastle just yet, and doubt he’d go to Everton.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Yes, if you're 9th with just 4 games to go then the big clubs are going to be circling your best players.

On the plus side, the Prem money now is so much better that clubs can pay higher wages and so stand a better chance of keeping their better players.

If you look at Southampton in the last 4 seasons they have lost 6 keys players: Ings, Vestergaard, Hojbjerg, Targett, Tadic, Gabbiadini.

However, in the 4 years before that it was brutal, they lost 11: Van Dijk, Jay Rodriguez, Mane, Pelle, Wanyama, Schneiderlein, Clyne, Shaw, Lallana, Lovren, Chambers.

Indeed, in seasons 13/14 - 16/17 they were top 8 every season but since selling those 11 they have been bottom half every season.

They've sold these players whilst reaching 2 Wembley FA Cup semis, a League Cup Final and a season in Europe.

And they've been doing this for years: Bale, Shearer, Walcott, Oxlade-Chamberlain, Crouch etc.

origigull

Jun 29, 2009
Yes, if you're 9th with just 4 games to go then the big clubs are going to be circling your best players.

On the plus side, the Prem money now is so much better that clubs can pay higher wages and so stand a better chance of keeping their better players.

If you look at Southampton in the last 4 seasons they have lost 6 keys players: Ings, Vestergaard, Hojbjerg, Targett, Tadic, Gabbiadini.

However, in the 4 years before that it was brutal, they lost 11: Van Dijk, Jay Rodriguez, Mane, Pelle, Wanyama, Schneiderlein, Clyne, Shaw, Lallana, Lovren, Chambers.

Indeed, in seasons 13/14 - 16/17 they were top 8 every season but since selling those 11 they have been bottom half every season.

They've sold these players whilst reaching 2 Wembley FA Cup semis, a League Cup Final and a season in Europe.

And they've been doing this for years: Bale, Shearer, Walcott, Oxlade-Chamberlain, Crouch etc.
Maybe there is some sort of secret conspiracy by the top clubs that when medium-sized clubs start to encroach/move up the league they raid the said smaller clubs to keep them down where they belong. They don't want the riff-raff disturbing their patch at the top of the league. Its not right! The status-quo must be kept.:lolol:

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Maybe there is some sort of secret conspiracy by the top clubs that when medium-sized clubs start to encroach/move up the league they raid the said smaller clubs to keep them down where they belong. They don't want the riff-raff disturbing their patch at the top of the league. Its not right! The status-quo must be kept.:lolol:
So that's why Citeh bought Grealish and Ake, and United bought Wan-Bissaka ..............................

Shropshire Seagull

Nov 5, 2004
Telford
If you went back a decade to the Withdean years I was amazed we were ever able to convince any player to come to us.
But now we have all the premier-league ready infrastructure in place along with Sussex being an nice place to live & work, the attraction to big[er] name players coming to us / staying with us must be more in our favour.
The only area we can't [yet?] compete with is the top-six wage structure, but we do have an awful lot of other good things in our favour to retain / attract good / top players.

We will always lose some, but so long as the recruitment system here continues to find players like Caiciedo [for example] I do not fear for our future.
If this were to dry-up, then I'd be worried ....

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..
Some people on this thread need to get down the chemist and buy lots of drugs to relieve their paranoia.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here