Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] The Albion 2013-14 financial results thread

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
What do consider is the going rate for a CEO who has reduced the club's losses to TB's satisfaction?

Do you have any suggestions as to who could do better and how much their salary would be?

Up to Tone obviously he holds the purse strings. But that salary is up there with private companies. Ok not the bue chips FTSE 250 but its still an awful lot of money.

Gordon Smith - probably wasnt after as much as PB.

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
Looking at it, there's no cost for loan players in '14 but £318000 or so for '13 - which players used up those costs? Does that include their wages? (as I assume we paid some or all of wages for players like Ward).

Are you looking at TURNOVER that is income so £318,000 in 2012/13 was income re. loan players - I assume that is money from other clubs towards the wages of players loan to other club not the other way around.

dejavuatbtn

Aug 4, 2010
Henfield
TB will always look to get the best in that he can and is prepared to pay for it. The package being talked about compares with any major company in the City and Industry in general. We don't know the whole of what PB's responsibilities are and we don't know the length of his contract, which may also be a factor in the amount he gets. Performancewise, he appears to be achieving the sort of financial results expected of him. How big an impact he has on the playing side I don't know, but I suspect this is more where TB is hands on. Overall I don't think we should be knocking the bloke.

WhingForPresident

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2009
Marlborough
As Paul Barber was CEO of the year for the Championship he may be regarded as 'Premiership Ready'. If he did not like working with TB and for the Albion I am sure he could find himself a post in the Premiership, perhaps at double the money he is on now.

Quite simply PB does his job and does it well for which is his paid well. If others closer to the football action had done that results would have been far different.

He was on the voting panel..

Arthur

Jul 8, 2003
Buxted Harbour
To KNOW that's ALL he's done, you must have worked alongside him every day since he joined the club.

Otherwise, you have no idea what he does. You have no idea what TB tasks him with. I have no idea of everything he does either but I do know two things:

1. Prior to his arrival there was gross overspending in many areas of the club's operation. One of PB's tasks was to redress that and it appears that he is doing so.

2. TB chose to employ PB at a salary level that he felt appropriate for his remit. If he's not happy that he's worth it, he can always dispense with his services ...as he did with PB's predecessor.

None of us on NSC are qualified to judge PB ...only TB and the Board can do that, and they will do so on the basis of facts, not prejudiced guesswork like most on here.

If there was a thumbs up button (what's going on with this new theme?? Went to lunch and it's all bubbly and shit!!) I'd give it to you.

PB isn't over paid, he is paid exactly what he thinks his employers thinks he is worth. TB has had more success in the business field than any of us (I expect) so who are any of us to judge what he decides to pay someone.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Interesting accounts. Tony Bloom must be breathing a sigh of relief that the infrastructure is built and his capital commitments are now under some control.

Barber has really earned his money in 2013/14 because those admin cuts were vital in keeping us within FFP limits.

Given that the Ulloa sale was in 2014/15 then the current year's accounts should look a lot more healthy. It is clear from the "sell-on" types clauses it is in our interest for the likes of Ulloa to do well, although I can't see us making any extra from Barnes, Bridcutt or Buckley. I see Leicester play Sunderland in the penultimate game of the season on 16th May - I'd love to think that Leo would bag his 20th goal, send Sunderland down and trigger a £1million additional "bonus sell-on" payment to the Albion at the same time!

One figure that leapt out at me was £89million of losses carried forward into 2014/15 for tax purposes. I doubt whether this club will pay Corporation Tax again in my lifetime.

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009
Up to Tone obviously he holds the purse strings. But that salary is up there with private companies. Ok not the bue chips FTSE 250 but its still an awful lot of money.

Gordon Smith - probably wasnt after as much as PB.

He's saved the club over £4m (aswell as bringing money in) and got a pay rise of £170k doesn't seem to bad a deal to me. Barber does what he is paid to do and seems to do it well. I can only hope that other club employees can do as well as he has.

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
TB will always look to get the best in that he can and is prepared to pay for it. The package being talked about compares with any major company in the City and Industry in general. We don't know the whole of what PB's responsibilities are and we don't know the length of his contract, which may also be a factor in the amount he gets.

This is what TB says about PB in the accounts...

“I am delighted that Paul Barber, our CEO since the summer of 2012 has committed his foreseeable future to the club. Supported by the club’s management team - Paul…has delivered outstanding results. “

AZ Gull

@SeagullsAcademy Threads: @bhafcacademy
Oct 14, 2003
Chandler, AZ
Looking at it, there's no cost for loan players in '14 but £318000 or so for '13 - which players used up those costs? Does that include their wages? (as I assume we paid some or all of wages for players like Ward).

Are you looking at TURNOVER that is income so £318,000 in 2012/13 was income re. loan players - I assume that is money from other clubs towards the wages of players loan to other club not the other way around.

[MENTION=1958]Gazwag[/MENTION] is correct; the 318k "loan players" in 2012-13 was money that we received, not paid. My guess would be that this was money paid to us by Crystal Palace whilst Dobbie was on loan to them (from January 31st until the end of the season). It was stated at the time that the loan was with a view to a permanent transfer, and the only reason that it wasn't a permanent signing was that he had already been signed permanently with two clubs that season (the maximum permitted).

Peter Grummit

Oct 13, 2004
Lewes
Key point I haven't seen noted here as yet:

Depreciation of the Stadium (2% straight line over 50 years) included for the first time, and contributes £2.1m to the loss. The like-for-like loss has therefore come down more than the headlines suggest.

Depreciation on the Training Ground will also kick in next year, but this is only over 5 years (20% pa).

PG

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
Key point I haven't seen noted here as yet:

Depreciation of the Stadium (2% straight line over 50 years) included for the first time, and contributes £2.1m to the loss. The like-for-like loss has therefore come down more than the headlines suggest.

Depreciation on the Training Ground will also kick in next year, but this is only over 5 years (20% pa).

PG

Good spot PG, and it doesn't count for FFP either

Peter Grummit

Oct 13, 2004
Lewes
Cashflow looks more healthy. We are a long way from breaking even, but we are at least moving in a more sustainable direction.

PG

ROSM

Dec 26, 2005
Just far enough away from LDC
Paul Barber replaced Ken Brown as Chief Executive. And yes, Catering income had fallen.

Around 75% of those who comment on the Facebook page are deluded anyway, this serves proof.

Ken Brown was managing director not ceo

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
He's saved the club over £4m (aswell as bringing money in) and got a pay rise of £170k doesn't seem to bad a deal to me. Barber does what he is paid to do and seems to do it well. I can only hope that other club employees can do as well as he has.
Thumbs up.

Se20

Banned
Oct 3, 2012
Didn't you build up the losses on your last set of accounts to help you meet FFP this year ?
Wasn't the losses permitted for these accounts £8 mill ?
El Pres ?

Didn't you build up the losses on your last set of accounts to help you meet FFP this year ?
Wasn't the losses permitted for these accounts £8 mill ?
El Pres ?
FFP applies to the football club (ie the FL member) and in the Albion's case this is BHAFC Ltd; these accounts are for the holding company BHA Holdings Ltd.
There were some staff redundancies at the end of the 2012/13 season, the cost of these appeared in the 2012/13 accounts.
Yep £8M max comprising no more than £5m loss and £3M new equity.

Grombleton

Surrounded by <div>s
Dec 31, 2011
[MENTION=1958]Gazwag[/MENTION] is correct; the 318k "loan players" in 2012-13 was money that we received, not paid. My guess would be that this was money paid to us by Crystal Palace whilst Dobbie was on loan to them (from January 31st until the end of the season). It was stated at the time that the loan was with a view to a permanent transfer, and the only reason that it wasn't a permanent signing was that he had already been signed permanently with two clubs that season (the maximum permitted).

Ah, that's my bad. Thanks to you both for clarifying!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here