The Adam Clayton saga - now officially signed for Middlesbrough

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
Thanks for the reply, so basically everyone is assuming that he will sign for boro, for no good reason?

Fwiw, I'm a northerner, Scottish in fact, and I can assure you its not as grim pop north as some people down south like to believe, I for one am in no hurry to move back to Brighton anytime soon, however.....

I have met and know many people in the north and Scotland who would love to live in or around Brighton, so don't assume that he will sign for boro, just because he's a northerner, he, and his family may just fancy a change for a few years, let's face it who doesn't from time to time.

IMO, and that's all it is, were not out of the running for him yet, and he will sign for whoever makes him the best offer. Yes its cheaper to live where he is, but its also easy to livebin Brighton on 10k p/w

Oh and I don't think he will make or break our season either, he's just a decent midfielder, we already have a few of them.

I've had the fortune of travelling around much of the north and there are some beautiful places to live, many in the Teeside area. I think the assertion that a player would choose to come here because of geographical attraction is rather worn.

Monsieur Le Plonk

Lethargy in motion
Apr 22, 2009
By a lake
Or if you actually bother to look at the flip side of all those.

In - Toko - solid MF, can also cover where Bridcutt was.
Hughes - Full of experience and can provide adequate cover.
COG - 15 Championship goals last season for an awful side, though it is a "wait and see" for him - replacement for Barnes.

Out - Kooshack - declining and WANTED to leave for PL football, replaced by Stockdale who is good, if not better.
Bridcutt - WANTED to leave, good fee received and well covered by Ince and Toko.
Upson - Ageing and WANTED to leave for PL football, decent cover in place.
Ulloa - No doubt its a big loss and will be replaced within the next few weeks, £8M + softens the blow though, not to mention he isnt all that and blew cold a LOT last season.

Remember, the window isnt even closed yet, so why judge now ?

Stockdale is the only one of the above I consider to be be a positive addition who is likely to make a difference.
As I read on a blog or similar earlier - Ulloa, Upson and Kusch were our top 3 Player of the Season votes last year...and Bridcutt won it the year before.
We obviously rated them very highly very recently, so whilst I'm lovin' the optimism, let's not rewrite our own history.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Stockdale is the only one of the above I consider to be be a positive addition who is likely to make a difference.
As I read on a blog or similar earlier - Ulloa, Upson and Kusch were our top 3 Player of the Season votes last year...and Bridcutt won it the year before.
We obviously rated them very highly very recently, so whilst I'm lovin' the optimism, let's not rewrite our own history.

Ulloa wasn't in the top three, Ward was.

Napier's Knee

Mar 23, 2014
West Sussex

That was then, this is now. For all we currently know at the end of next season Toko, COG and Hughes will be our top 3 in Player of the Season. We don't know. It's not about rewriting history it's about looking forward - if we look backwards we should have just given up when Lawrenson left

Albumen

Don't wait for me!
Jan 19, 2010
Brighton - In your face

http://www1.skysports.com/football/...fender-matthew-upson-named-player-of-the-year

Upson, Ward, Kush (although that was borderline I reckon).

Greavsey

Jul 4, 2007
Butterfield is a bloody good player IMHO, at least on a par with Clayton. If he isn't another professional northerner then we could do worse than to go after him if refuses the move to Uddersfield.

Man of Harveys

Jul 9, 2003
Brighton, UK
Erm, is Clayton even any good?

Munchkin

Jul 12, 2005
Littlehampton
Could it be that we have also had a bid accepted and are in the process of talking with Clayton and his representatives ?

But unlike Middlesborough we won't comment until any deal is done ?

Seems very strange that we have an official up there if the deal is dead in the water.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports