Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The Adam Clayton saga - now officially signed for Middlesbrough

Albumen

Don't wait for me!
Jan 19, 2010
Brighton - In your face
I am on record on here saying I'm pleased with all 4 signings made so far. Problem is, we need 8 quality signings in total. As I say, ineffective. I agree we don't have a problem selling our best players at top sale value.

4 down, 4 to go then? Good. Stick on the moon while the better players available have yet to learn their fate.

Napier's Knee

Mar 23, 2014
West Sussex
Stockdale - Class
Toko - Unproven in England
Hughes - Arguably getting on a bit and not in the same class as Upson
COG - Looked good in Pre season - still a gamble

Compared to :
Kuszcak - Champions league, international keeper
Bridcutt - Best midfielder we've had since Danny Wilson
Upson - Best Centre back we've had since Foster
Leo Ulloa - Technically one of the best strikers we've had since Zamora

Yes - I'd currently agree that we've been ineffective...I hope this comes back to prove me wrong, but only Stockdale is proven Premier League quality. The others are just mid table Championship quality at the moment.

But Your points about Bridcutt, Upson and Ulloa are all with hindsight - same might prove to be true of Toko, Hughes and COG. We just don't know yet.

Ecosse Exile

May 20, 2009
Alicante, Spain
So Clayton hasn't actually signed for boro yet?

Why is everyone expecting him to? Is it just because boro have also had a bid accepted? And people think, being a northern lad, he'll want to stay up north? Or is there more to this that I've missed?

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

Waxing chumps like candles since ‘75
Oct 4, 2003

That is arguable. If you compare the clubs they made a majority of their apperances for newcastle, villa, fulham against Birmingham, stoke and west ham then there isn't much difference. Upson came with a lot of fanfare because he arrived not long after being part of England's world cup squad, he was a very very good player for us but i think Hughes is pretty much on the same level.

Hughes has played more games in the top flight than Upson, has more experience in Europe including a european final and has nearly 100 international caps, if he'd been English I am sure he'd have been in the running for some apperances in an England squad. Time will tell but i think he will be a very useful player for us.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing

Why is everyone expecting him to? Is it just because boro have also had a bid accepted? And people think, being a northern lad, he'll want to stay up north? Or is there more to this that I've missed?

Nothing on either their website or Huddersfield's - you just begin to wonder.....

I really don't think the success of our season rests on whether he signs or not, as midfield is not an area where we are short of numbers. However, he would bring something different.

Of course having posted this it will probably be announced at 1pm.

We're the Stripes

Jul 31, 2005
BN2
That is arguable. If you compare the clubs they made a majority of their apperances for newcastle, villa, fulham against Birmingham, stoke and west ham then there isn't much difference. Upson came with a lot of fanfare because he arrived not long after being part of England's world cup squad, he was a very very good player for us but i think Hughes is pretty much on the same level.

Hughes has played more games in the top flight than Upson, has more experience in Europe including a european final and has nearly 100 international caps, if he'd been English I am sure he'd have been in the running for some apperances in an England squad. Time will tell but i think he will be a very useful player for us.

Wait, you mean you haven't made a snap judgement based on a couple of pre-season outings?

fleet

Jul 28, 2003

Naylor says he will sign for Boro so it must mean....... well.

Ecosse Exile

May 20, 2009
Alicante, Spain
Nothing on either their website or Huddersfield's - you just begin to wonder.....

I really don't think the success of our season rests on whether he signs or not, as midfield is not an area where we are short of numbers. However, he would bring something different.

Of course having posted this it will probably be announced at 1pm.

Thanks for the reply, so basically everyone is assuming that he will sign for boro, for no good reason?

Fwiw, I'm a northerner, Scottish in fact, and I can assure you its not as grim pop north as some people down south like to believe, I for one am in no hurry to move back to Brighton anytime soon, however.....

I have met and know many people in the north and Scotland who would love to live in or around Brighton, so don't assume that he will sign for boro, just because he's a northerner, he, and his family may just fancy a change for a few years, let's face it who doesn't from time to time.

IMO, and that's all it is, were not out of the running for him yet, and he will sign for whoever makes him the best offer. Yes its cheaper to live where he is, but its also easy to livebin Brighton on 10k p/w

Oh and I don't think he will make or break our season either, he's just a decent midfielder, we already have a few of them.

northstandsteve

Oct 9, 2003
Hove
Thanks for the reply, so basically everyone is assuming that he will sign for boro, for no good reason?

Fwiw, I'm a northerner, Scottish in fact, and I can assure you its not as grim pop north as some people down south like to believe, I for one am in no hurry to move back to Brighton anytime soon, however.....

I have met and know many people in the north and Scotland who would love to live in or around Brighton, so don't assume that he will sign for boro, just because he's a northerner, he, and his family may just fancy a change for a few years, let's face it who doesn't from time to time.

IMO, and that's all it is, were not out of the running for him yet, and he will sign for whoever makes him the best offer. Yes its cheaper to live where he is, but its also easy to livebin Brighton on 10k p/w

Oh and I don't think he will make or break our season either, he's just a decent midfielder, we already have a few of them.

Good post. Because the board keep it quiet we have no idea whether we are still in the running or not. We have no idea if we have met the valuation which would be a stepping stone to engaging with his agent. Boro may well have thought sh*t better meet this valuation or Brighton will scupper our plans. They may be paying more than they wanted to, because of our interest.If its Boro fair play and we move on...

HawkTheSeagull

Jan 31, 2012
Eastbourne
Stockdale - Class
Toko - Unproven in England
COG - Looked good in Pre season - still a gamble

Compared to :
Kuszcak - Champions league, international keeper
Bridcutt - Best midfielder we've had since Danny Wilson
Upson - Best Centre back we've had since Foster
Leo Ulloa - Technically one of the best strikers we've had since Zamora

Yes - I'd currently agree that we've been ineffective...I hope this comes back to prove me wrong, but only Stockdale is proven Premier League quality. The others are just mid table Championship quality at the moment.

Or if you actually bother to look at the flip side of all those.

In - Toko - solid MF, can also cover where Bridcutt was.
Hughes - Full of experience and can provide adequate cover.
COG - 15 Championship goals last season for an awful side, though it is a "wait and see" for him - replacement for Barnes.

Out - Kooshack - declining and WANTED to leave for PL football, replaced by Stockdale who is good, if not better.
Bridcutt - WANTED to leave, good fee received and well covered by Ince and Toko.
Upson - Ageing and WANTED to leave for PL football, decent cover in place.
Ulloa - No doubt its a big loss and will be replaced within the next few weeks, £8M + softens the blow though, not to mention he isnt all that and blew cold a LOT last season.

Remember, the window isnt even closed yet, so why judge now ?

jimmygull

Mar 22, 2012

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here