The Adam Clayton saga - now officially signed for Middlesbrough

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

SeagullTim

Boomer Sooner
Apr 22, 2006
Brighton
BMfkjB.png

Been following this journo on Twitter, seems to post a lot of accurate Football League transfer info.

Last edited:

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
Ummm buy someone that lives down South? We've tried that, he stayed at Bournemouth then went to Norfolk.

No, review our ineffective player recruitment strategy top to bottom...

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
Clayton's agent must be in heaven having two bids accepted (if this is true). I fully expect Clayton to sign for Boro but it may take some time as the agent uses our interest to rack up the personal terms and his/her own big fat slice of the pie.

Sadly, this is very true.

algie

The moaning of life
Jan 8, 2006
In rehab

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
What lessons are these then ? Can we help other clubs also wanting to sign players ? No, we cant.

Can we perform better WRT player recruitment? Yes, yes we can.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
No, review our ineffective player recruitment strategy top to bottom...

Try thinking a little. You come from Leeds, play well for a Yorkshire club, so two clubs want to buy you. Both meet Huddersfield's valuation so you think about personal terms. Both clubs are offering very similar personal terms, but one club signing you, means that you can commute on good transport links without having to move house. It's hypothetical but highly likely.

If you were David Burke how would you handle it differently, bearing in mind, he has travelled to Yorkshire to speak to the player & agent in person, not just sitting at a desk making phone calls?

DarrenFreemansPerm

⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
Sep 28, 2010
Shoreham
So you're not happy with signing Stockdale, Toko, Hughes and O Grady? That's a new team spine. And we've made £10-12m savings if you include Toko replacing Bridcutt.
Ineffective?

If that's the case it would mean O'Grady is Ulloa's replacement? If so BW is more than welcome to feel a little concerned.

supaseagull

Feb 19, 2004
The United Kingdom of Mile Oak
So you're not happy with signing Stockdale, Toko, Hughes and O Grady? That's a new team spine. And we've made £10-12m savings if you include Toko replacing Bridcutt.
Ineffective?

Stockdale - Class
Toko - Unproven in England
Hughes - Arguably getting on a bit and not in the same class as Upson
COG - Looked good in Pre season - still a gamble

Compared to :
Kuszcak - Champions league, international keeper
Bridcutt - Best midfielder we've had since Danny Wilson
Upson - Best Centre back we've had since Foster
Leo Ulloa - Technically one of the best strikers we've had since Zamora

Yes - I'd currently agree that we've been ineffective...I hope this comes back to prove me wrong, but only Stockdale is proven Premier League quality. The others are just mid table Championship quality at the moment.

Albumen

Don't wait for me!
Jan 19, 2010
Brighton - In your face
If that's the case it would mean O'Grady is Ulloa's replacement? If so BW is more than welcome to feel a little concerned.

I'd say we've got someone that now fills the Obika squad role which we had so much trouble filling last season, with a plethora of trickle down Premiership and European strikers available once the 23-man squads are announced, and with money to page their wages.

The window is open until the end of August for a reason.

Also there's a difference between being concerned and repeatedly calling the recruitment team and club a failure.

DarrenFreemansPerm

⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
Sep 28, 2010
Shoreham
I'd say we've got someone that now fills the Obika squad role which we had so much trouble filling last season, with a plethora of trickle down Premiership and European strikers available once the 23-man squads are announced, and with money to page their wages.

The window is open until the end of August for a reason.

Also there's a difference between being concerned and repeatedly calling the recruitment team and club a failure.

Bit harsh putting COG in Obika's category :lol: I'm pretty sure he'll do fine whilst Obika....we'll the less said the better :lol:

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Yes - I'd currently agree that we've been ineffective...I hope this comes back to prove me wrong, but only Stockdale is proven Premier League quality. The others are just mid table Championship quality at the moment.

Hughes? Not Premier League quality?

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
Try thinking a little. You come from Leeds, play well for a Yorkshire club, so two clubs want to buy you. Both meet Huddersfield's valuation so you think about personal terms. Both clubs are offering very similar personal terms, but one club signing you, means that you can commute on good transport links without having to move house. It's hypothetical but highly likely.

If you were David Burke how would you handle it differently, bearing in mind, he has travelled to Yorkshire to speak to the player & agent in person, not just sitting at a desk making phone calls?

I'm not just talking about the latest failure. We are getting pipped by other clubs in our division on a consistent basis. 4 good players in already but we need 8.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
I'm not just talking about the latest failure. We are getting pipped by other clubs in our division on a consistent basis. 4 good players in already but we need 8.

Have we been pipped yet? Was it a failure? I would have thought with your great contact with people in the know, that you would already see how difficult it is.

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
Ineffective?

I am on record on here saying I'm pleased with all 4 signings made so far. Problem is, we need 8 quality signings in total. As I say, ineffective. I agree we don't have a problem selling our best players at top sale value.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports