The Adam Clayton saga - now officially signed for Middlesbrough

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
There is obviously nothing in between? Is it unreasonable to expect the club to strengthen rather than weaken the team whilst they spout PLR spin in every press interview? Only a club sycophant would believe that the current player situation is not something to express concern over. It has absolutely nothing to do with "doing a Pompey" just questioning why we seem unable to find replacements for the players sold or released.

I agree, but comments such as 'speculate to accumulate' suggest that some fans want to gamble with TB's money and the future of the club.

We had a number of players last season on £10,000 a week or more, such as Ulloa, PIG, Ward and Buckley. That is indicative that TB did put his money into a reasonable attempt to be promoted, and it was overall a successful year for the club. However, for every club that gambled and won last season (and remember QPR made losses of £60 million, and only just scraped up to the PL) , there are more that gambled and lost. Remember Forest and their ten strikers last season, all paid for by dodgy sponsorship deals? Or Wolves last season paying Jamie O'Hara £2 million a season to sit in the reserves?

Superseagull69

May 8, 2010
MEDWAY
Has it actually been confirmed Clayton is going to M'bro ??? I haven't seen it anywhere apart from rumour & Mr Naylor's article....Who knows maybe this is another CMS situation.....

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
I agree, but comments such as 'speculate to accumulate' suggest that some fans want to gamble with TB's money and the future of the club.

We had a number of players last season on £10,000 a week or more, such as Ulloa, PIG, Ward and Buckley. That is indicative that TB did put his money into a reasonable attempt to be promoted, and it was overall a successful year for the club. However, for every club that gambled and won last season (and remember QPR made losses of £60 million, and only just scraped up to the PL) , there are more that gambled and lost. Remember Forest and their ten strikers last season, all paid for by dodgy sponsorship deals? Or Wolves last season paying Jamie O'Hara £2 million a season to sit in the reserves?

I believe and accept that Poyet was entrusted with spending the money to fast track us to the Premier League. It didn't work out and we came very close. Last season we overachieved. I understand the reasons why TB would not want to keep throwing money at the club, I just wish he would be more honest about our prospects and ambitions, probably being very naive though I accept. Maybe we will be told that we cannot compete at tonight's forum, most of us could live with that I think? No more talk about competitive squads unless it is going to happen please, this season's clear out has ensured that is not the case....so far.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
I believe and accept that Poyet was entrusted with spending the money to fast track us to the Premier League. It didn't work out and we came very close. Last season we overachieved. I understand the reasons why TB would not want to keep throwing money at the club, I just wish he would be more honest about our prospects and ambitions, probably being very naive though I accept. Maybe we will be told that we cannot compete at tonight's forum, most of us could live with that I think? No more talk about competitive squads unless it is going to happen please, this season's clear out have ensured that is not the case....so far.

Do I think that the current squad is good enough to get into the playoffs? No

Do I think that TB and Burke are working their nads off to strengthen the squad before 1 September? Yes

The current situation is frustrating, but to listen to those such as [MENTION=11697]kevtherev[/MENTION] saying we are relegation fodder before a ball has been kicked is disproportionate.

kevtherev

Feb 28, 2008
Tunbridge Wells
Do I think that the current squad is good enough to get into the playoffs? No

Do I think that TB and Burke are working their nads off to strengthen the squad before 1 September? Yes

The current situation is frustrating, but to listen to those such as [MENTION=11697]kevtherev[/MENTION] saying we are relegation fodder before a ball has been kicked is disproportionate.

They can work 24 hours a day. Facts are facts, if you want the best you have to pay for the best. It's not rocket science. You get what you pay for. Unless your a fan of course.

The Camel

Nov 1, 2010
Darlington, UK
I believe and accept that Poyet was entrusted with spending the money to fast track us to the Premier League. It didn't work out and we came very close. Last season we overachieved. I understand the reasons why TB would not want to keep throwing money at the club, I just wish he would be more honest about our prospects and ambitions, probably being very naive though I accept. Maybe we will be told that we cannot compete at tonight's forum, most of us could live with that I think? No more talk about competitive squads unless it is going to happen please, this season's clear out has ensured that is not the case....so far.

If I'm not mistaken, the target for the last two seasons was a top 6 finish.

This was achieved both years.

If the playoffs keep being reached eventually the lottery will be won! (or sneak into the top 2).

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
They can work 24 hours a day. Facts are facts, if you want the best you have to pay for the best. It's not rocket science. You get what you pay for. Unless your a fan of course.

So therefore, in the last two seasons, when we have had the 10th and 8th highest wage bills in the division, to finish 4th and 6th respectively is an overachievement?

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
If I'm not mistaken, the target for the last two seasons was a top 6 finish.

This was achieved both years.

If the playoffs keep being reached eventually the lottery will be won! (or sneak into the top 2).

It was indeed, 2 seasons ago we did it with style, last season we flattered to deceive and only a slightly loopy fanatic can believe that as things stand we have any chance of repeating the feat. I accept it may all come together by the end of the transfer window, I am not that optimistic as I believe we have a piss poor budget in comparison to the other promotion protagonists.

kevtherev

Feb 28, 2008
Tunbridge Wells
So therefore, in the last two seasons, when we have had the 10th and 8th highest wage bills in the division, to finish 4th and 6th respectively is an overachievement?

Of course we got a high wage bill, just look at the area we live in. A house for £1m in this area goes for a quarter of that up north. You can't expect players to sign from the likes of Huddersfield and their standard of living to drop. Hence we need to pay top money. That's just the facts of life.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
Of course we got a high wage bill, just look at the area we live in. A house for £1m in this area goes for a quarter of that up north. You can't expect players to sign from the likes of Huddersfield and their standard of living to drop. Hence we need to pay top money. That's just the facts of life.

So are you agreeing or disagreeing with my assertion that to have the 10th and 8th highest wage bill, and finish 4th and 6th respectively, is an overachievement in the last two seasons?

kevtherev

Feb 28, 2008
Tunbridge Wells
So are you agreeing or disagreeing with my assertion that to have the 10th and 8th highest wage bill, and finish 4th and 6th respectively, is an overachievement in the last two seasons?

I don't think it's a overachievement when we have the highest match day prices in the league, or one of them. We aren't 10th in that league.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
I don't think it's a overachievement when we have the highest match day prices in the league, or one of them. We aren't 10th in that league.

So what? You start off saying you get what you pay for (in terms of players) and then turn it to matchday prices, there's no direct link.

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually
Yup, although the story did come from Grabban's agent, (a former Albion player).

Well, if you are determined to stick to the offer you might use the excuse that the boss isn't available, so I tend to swing to the belief that it was said in some shape or form. I can't think of any reason why it was reported if it wasn't the case.

kevtherev

Feb 28, 2008
Tunbridge Wells
So what? You start off saying you get what you pay for (in terms of players) and then turn it to matchday prices, there's no direct link.

Of course there's a link, we pay top dollar, we have had millions in transfer fees, released six 1st team wage packets at end of last season and we have bought 4 players in. We are at least 6 light....We are being mugged off, we are going to end up signing 4 on dead line day, which means no one else really wants them. And we are just picking up the dregs.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
Of course there's a link, we pay top dollar, we have had millions in transfer fees, released six 1st team wage packets at end of last season and we have bought 4 players in. We are at least 6 light....We are being mugged off, we are going to end up signing 4 on dead line day, which means no one else really wants them. And we are just picking up the dregs.

You are changing the topic though. Your original comment stated that you get what you pay for. The Albion paid the 10th and 8th highest wage bill, which, based on your comments that we are in a high house price area, should probably be two or three places lower to take into account buying power. However, on the pitch we finished 4th (under Poyet) and 6th (under Garcia). So therefore do you agree that we overachieved in those two seasons?

I don't understand why you can't answer a simple question.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports