Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The Adam Clayton saga - now officially signed for Middlesbrough

Man of Harveys

Jul 9, 2003
Brighton, UK
Agree.

I think what's pissing people off the most, is the continual push of this 'Premier League ready' bullsh*t. We are constantly reminded just how many season tickets we sell, and how our attendances are the highest in the division. Yet, having sold over £11m worth of players in the last 6 months, we've spent £1m on a keeper and 500k on a striker, with just 4 days left before the season starts (having lost arguably our 4 best players last year), i'd say we've adequately replaced 1 of them (Stockdale).

Naylor is an easy target, in that he got people's hopes up, and is now the one breaking the bad news.

Excellent post

DarrenFreemansPerm

⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
Sep 28, 2010
Shoreham
I do wonder whether we have alternative players lined up, Ward has been the only left back we've publicly shown any interest in, likewise with Clayton. If we don't get Ward over the line then I'm a bit concerned we might have put all of our eggs into 1 (maybe 2) basket.

Miami Seagull

Grandad
Jul 12, 2003
Miami Florida, USA
How so? Because a player doesn't want to relocate X hundred miles and instead would rather move 100 miles than 250? He's a human being and maybe hauling his life down south wasn't something he was willing to do. What exactly do you propose our recruitment team do to try and change his mind? Just throw more money at him? Maybe his family is more important than the £££...

Of course I have no idea. I could be wrong. But I don't presume to know the facts

It has nothing to do with an individual player. Our recruitment has been poor for a while now. January was a disaster and this one is not proving much better.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
Agree.

I think what's pissing people off the most, is the continual push of this 'Premier League ready' bullsh*t. We are constantly reminded just how many season tickets we sell, and how our attendances are the highest in the division. Yet, having sold over £11m worth of players in the last 6 months, we've spent £1m on a keeper and 500k on a striker, with just 4 days left before the season starts (having lost arguably our 4 best players last year), i'd say we've adequately replaced 1 of them (Stockdale).

Naylor is an easy target, in that he got people's hopes up, and is now the one breaking the bad news.

You forgot to mention that we lost £14.7 million last season.....................

Peterrhodes

Aug 18, 2009
London
Ok let's get down the crux what does expected mean? It means beyond reasonable doubt. For this to be the case you would need to know:
The player is happy to move
You are happy to pay what he will require
You have agreed a price with the selling club

How many of these are the case for any of the players?

The difference between a guess and an estimate is the use of facts.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
It has nothing to do with an individual player. Our recruitment has been poor for a while now. January was a disaster and this one is not proving much better.

Really? Stephens is a good signing, as was Lingard. Spanish Rod was poor, and Obika was sent back. Overall, it was a reasonable window.

somerset

Jul 14, 2003
Yatton, North Somerset
You forgot to mention that we lost £14.7 million last season.....................
Then we can only conclude one thing, the business model is flawed in the extreme. We cannot be squeezed for more money, we cannot battle the travel shenanigans any more than we do....... conclusion?....... beats me to be honest.

Surrey_Albion

Jan 17, 2011
Horley
To be fair to Naylor he only said they were expected to sign. Either you didn't read the article or you don't understand what the word expect means.

To be cair I tweeted naylor asking bow good the info was he replied a bit shirty that he wouldnt print without good info.....it couldn't have been that good if AC had meet with Boro but as yet hasnt meet with brighton,I can't honestly see Baldock coming either.

Miami Seagull

Grandad
Jul 12, 2003
Miami Florida, USA
Really? Stephens is a good signing, as was Lingard. Spanish Rod was poor, and Obika was sent back. Overall, it was a reasonable window.

What!!!!! I assume you are joking. We knew both Bridcutt and Barnes were leaving weeks before they actually did and we're unable to sign anyone even comparable. It weakened the team (even OG commented on what a f**k up it was). Who knows where we would have finished if we had got that right.

Foolg

Apr 23, 2007

Numerous people on here have claimed Paul Barber claimed we were ON TARGET to meet FFP targets regardless of the Ulloa money. So why are we still struggling to compete with clubs bringing in far less income?

Peterrhodes

Aug 18, 2009
London
Nothing like someone being pedantic in the afternoon. Good selective use of the dictionary. Try - looked forward to as probable. In terms of the probability scale from impossible to definite - expected is as close to the definite end as possible. Likely is just above half way on the scale.

Bladders

Twats everywhere
Jun 22, 2012
The Troubadour
You just know come deadline day we'll be unveiling Dean Hammond :facepalm:

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
What!!!!! I assume you are joking. We knew both Bridcutt and Barnes were leaving weeks before they actually did and we're unable to sign anyone even comparable. It weakened the team (even OG commented on what a f**k up it was). Who knows where we would have finished if we had got that right.

Really? Bridcutt played less than a dozen games due to injuries and sulking. Even when he was playing he was moderate at best last season. Ince proved to be a decent substitute for him. At Sunderland his limitations were quickly found out.

Barnes scored five league goals, two of which were penalties. Lingard was a reasonable replacement.

DarrenFreemansPerm

⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
Sep 28, 2010
Shoreham

I think you're being quite generous, Lingard was reasonable but nothing more. Those 4 players coming in to replace Bridcutt, Barnes and El Abd was a disappointment for sure.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Then we can only conclude one thing, the business model is flawed in the extreme. We cannot be squeezed for more money, we cannot battle the travel shenanigans any more than we do....... conclusion?....... beats me to be honest.

A worryingly bleak view but perhaps accurate. We have no chance of Premier League money without getting promoted and no real prospect of promotion without parachute payments. Even Burnley, last season's surprise package, were on their last season of parachute payments and were able to replace Austin more than adequately and buy Barnes off us.

I don't necessarily MIND that we're in this Catch 22 so long as we drop the PLR Bollox until such time as the Academy starts giving us quality players for peanuts.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here