The Academy.

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

andy1980

Feb 23, 2009
He initially joined us as a scholar (at the start of the 2013-14 season, his clearance came through in October that year). The FA Monthly Registration bulletin shows that a new contract was registered on January 1 this year, which I assume was a professional contract. Unfortunately the bulletin gives no indication of length, but I would assume he has been tied up at least until the end of the 2015-16 season.

It is a pity that the club can't be a little more forthcoming with these details. Oh well, you will have to get your updates from NSC instead. :thumbsup:

Thank-you. I have high hopes for him, hopefully in a couple of seasons time he will break into the first team, then a couple of seasons after that Jayson Molumby will break through.

Do you know if we still have them two Spanish kids that were in the U15 (one of them had the surname Garcia) ?

Cloughie

Jun 7, 2009
To the best of my knowledge they never even sent a scout t o have a look. Our chief scout is based in The Midlands. My beef is that as you say they must get many recommendations so why not have a computerised acknowledgement for a junior to send.

Perhaps you have a point, although IMHO acknowledging them would also encourage more and more people to do the same. They hire professionals with excellent contacts to run the rule over the young players. If someone was interfering with your job, telling you how to do it I'm sure it'd irk you.

I'm sure we can all agree that something is amiss with the club right now. But from what I know of the academy this certainly isn't part of the problem. Our younger players are up there with the very best in the country. This is a huge step forward.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Maybe he's just not good enough. Bournemouth's academy is category 3; if he was anything special, he'd have had he choice of going to a club with at least a Cat 2 academy if not a Cat 1. This is why getting Cat 1 status was so important. Not only are the facilities much better, but the teams also play in higher standard of competition. Where would you want to be developed (or want for your son) if you had the chance?

That is assuming a scout has seen him from a higher category academy. Obviously some are missed so if told of one it is no problem to send a scout to have a look. I received many calls telling me to go and look at such and such a player when I was doing it.

AZ Gull

@SeagullsAcademy Threads: @bhafcacademy
Oct 14, 2003
Chandler, AZ
Thank-you. I have high hopes for him, hopefully in a couple of seasons time he will break into the first team, then a couple of seasons after that Jayson Molumby will break through.

Do you know if we still have them two Spanish kids that were in the U15 (one of them had the surname Garcia) ?

Luis Garcia is with the U-16s, so hopefully will begin his scholarship next season. I am not aware of another Spanish kid.

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
That is assuming a scout has seen him from a higher category academy. Obviously some are missed so if told of one it is no problem to send a scout to have a look. I received many calls telling me to go and look at such and such a player when I was doing it.

True, but it's unlikley that Bournmouth were the only club to scout a youngster from Guildford. If he turns out to be very special, then he'll probabky get poached by a Cat 1 academy by the time he's 17.

andy1980

Feb 23, 2009
Luis Garcia is with the U-16s, so hopefully will begin his scholarship next season. I am not aware of another Spanish kid.

Luis Garcia is who I was thinking of, I had in my head that there was another one but guess there isn't. Do you know if he is living up to the hype that was around him in the summer when people first heard of him? Also is there anyone else who seems a bit special.

Cloughie

Jun 7, 2009

Thinking about it, isn't the hour and a half rule still in place? There would be no chance of signing players from that far up north if so, unless they relocated. Generally clubs don't relocated U10s either...

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
Thinking about it, isn't the hour and a half rule still in place? There would be no chance of signing players from that far up north if so, unless they relocated. Generally clubs don't relocated U10s either...

Cat 1 academies can recruit nationally on the basis of full time education being offered to U17s.

Cloughie

Jun 7, 2009
Cat 1 academies can recruit nationally on the basis of full time education being offered to U17s.

Okay, thanks. Although, most teams do not uproot U10's. This is my point.

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
Okay, thanks. Although, most teams do not uproot U10's. This is my point.

I can't imagine many parents would what to send their kids so far at such a young age either. I misunderstood and thought that you we're referring to the 15 year old that BG had recommended, not the U9s.

AZ Gull

@SeagullsAcademy Threads: @bhafcacademy
Oct 14, 2003
Chandler, AZ
Luis Garcia is who I was thinking of, I had in my head that there was another one but guess there isn't. Do you know if he is living up to the hype that was around him in the summer when people first heard of him? Also is there anyone else who seems a bit special.

Unfortunately, I have no idea how he has been playing (although I believe he was out injured for a while earlier this season).

There is an U-16 lad called David Ajiboye who has been a sub for the last few U-18 games. He has spent a couple of years in the Spurs academy but seems to have made the switch to Albion, and will presumably commence his scholarship in July. I think his position is right wing. I have no idea if he is "a bit special" though.

I'm looking forward to seeing how James Tilley develops over the next couple of years. He was awarded his scholarship in May 2013, a year in advance. And he tweeted towards the end of last month that he had signed his first professional contract with the club (after only one scholarship year), so he is clearly highly thought of at the club. He has scored 8 goals for the U-18s this season, and has played in the last 5 development squad games (which is 4 more than Mar Larusson has played in, and Tilley is a year younger).

JCL666

absurdism
Sep 23, 2011
Some time probably 5 - 8 years. Recently they had a chance to sign 4 x9 year old but turned them down. 1 signed for Villa, 1 for WBA 1 for Arsenal 1 for Man U. Which is not looking good. I sent them details of a 15 year old striker who is probably joining Bournemouth lives in Guildford not sure if they have followed it up but not even the courtesy of an e mail of acknowledgement of receipt.

With regard to the 9 year olds. How could they be offered chances with Brighton and those other clubs?

9-11 year olds must live within an hours journey time. It's highly unlikely that the whole family would be relocated, considering they are usually only signed for a year.

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green

Brighton now have a London academy based at three sites. One is in Biggin Hill and then there's two others one being in Guildford I believe. These

are satellite academies that piggy back off the main one as CAT 1.

My son u13 had a trial at Biggin Hill.

Cloughie

Jun 7, 2009
Brighton now have a London academy based at three sites. One is in Biggin Hill and then there's two others one being in Guildford I believe. These

are satellite academies that piggy back off the main one as CAT 1.

My son u13 had a trial at Biggin Hill.

All these rule changes make my head spin! I remember years ago when Man Utd placed a smaller academy in the north east and Newcastle had them close it down as it was invading on their territory, so to speak. Thanks for clearing that up.

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
Some time probably 5 - 8 years. Recently they had a chance to sign 4 x9 year old but turned them down. 1 signed for Villa, 1 for WBA 1 for Arsenal 1 for Man U. Which is not looking good. I sent them details of a 15 year old striker who is probably joining Bournemouth lives in Guildford not sure if they have followed it up but not even the courtesy of an e mail of acknowledgement of receipt.

I have the Academy Senior Scout's direct number/email if you want it.

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006
With regard to the 9 year olds. How could they be offered chances with Brighton and those other clubs?

9-11 year olds must live within an hours journey time. It's highly unlikely that the whole family would be relocated, considering they are usually only signed for a year.

No thats no longer the case clubs can sign whoever from wherever, as has been mentioned there are satellite centres that could fulfil the training commitments, but I am guessing we could sign anyone and give them clearance to play for their local team and ship them in during holidays, its the old formula that served clubs generations ago !!

In an earlier thread we discussed the cat 1 and new training facility and although undoubtedly great and trumps the likes Millwalls, Brentfords etc the old pecking order still remains, we are always likely to lose out to genuinely bigger clubs, it does offer a stronger bargaining tool and seems to cement our position in trying to recruit youngsters perhaps deemed not quite good enough for Premiership clubs.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports