Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] The 2022-23 players retained/released thread

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Still no word directly from Albion, but the Premier League has finally published the retained & released lists.

Other than those players already identified in this thread, the following players have been released:-

Billie Clark
Teddy Jenks
Todd Miller
Sam Packham
Casey Shann
Fynn Talley
Lorent Tolaj

Players offered new contracts:-

Benicio Baker-Boaitey
Leigh Kavanagh

Players extended (which I believe essentially means an option has been taken up):-
Killian Cahill
Samy Chouchane
James Furlong
Jack Hinchy
Marc Leonard
Ed Turns

As previously stated in this thread, Jensen Weir is under contract for 2023-24 (at least).

Not a good day for the Jenks household as scholar Eliot was not offered a professional contract.
Had hopes for Jenks and Miller - but both of them (and Tolaj) had pretty disastrous loans, so if lack of offers I guess the end was inevitable.

Decent lower level careers for those three I guess, which ain't that bad! Will be interesting to see where they go.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
Had hopes for Jenks and Miller - but both of them (and Tolaj) had pretty disastrous loans, so if lack of offers I guess the end was inevitable.

Decent lower level careers for those three I guess, which ain't that bad! Will be interesting to see where they go.
Think when Jenks struggled at Aberdeen and the next loan was a league 2 club, the dye was effectively cast. I watched Tolaj play for Salford, and he was really poor (I know one game etc).

Miller didn’t see to get much chance at Donny.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Think when Jenks struggled at Aberdeen and the next loan was a league 2 club, the dye was effectively cast. I watched Tolaj play for Salford, and he was really poor (I know one game etc).

Miller didn’t see to get much chance at Donny.
I thought Miller was doing alright at first at Donny - then I realised that the 'Miller' starting up front was Donny's own George Miller. I think Todd got a handful of starts at the end of the season (I believe George got injured) but didn't manage to find the net. Shame - I thought he looked pretty good in PL2 in the first half of the season.

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021
It shows how important it is to get the right lad the right loan.

Its all far from an exact science.

To all the lads let go, thanks for your efforts and service and best wishes for the future

DJ NOBO

Jul 18, 2004
Wiltshire
Confirmed as Beadle.

https://the72.co.uk/2023/06/18/oxford-united-join-race-for-brighton-and-hove-albion-prospect/

"Oxford United are interested in luring the youngster to the Kassam Stadium on a temporary basis this summer."

Guess that means a loan - bloody hope so anyway. Would Bolton (at the other end of the Leaue 1 table) be a better move, I wonder? Depends on potential game time, I suppose.
Oxford had a poor season but should do better next time. Oxford have a fairly decent stalwart keeper in Simon Eastwood and a young Irish lad who has a very high opinion of himself and is quite good , as well as a young local boy who has done a solid job at L1 level For oxford and port vale on loan.
One of them will go. That will still leave a couple of decentish keepers on the books.
It will be interesting to see where Beadle fits in.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Oxford had a poor season but should do better next time. Oxford have a fairly decent stalwart keeper in Simon Eastwood and a young Irish lad who has a very high opinion of himself and is quite good , as well as a young local boy who has done a solid job at L1 level For oxford and port vale on loan.
One of them will go. That will still leave a couple of decentish keepers on the books.
It will be interesting to see where Beadle fits in.
Competition for the lad then - and potentially a risky loan if he doesn't get the game time he needs. Mind you, Crewe fans thought they were gettng a young keeper on loan as cover when he first arrived there - how wrong they were! (same thing happened with Rushworth on one of his loans, Walsall I think).

essbee1

Jun 25, 2014
I have some Forest Green Rover supporting cousins and they are interested in knowing more about Teddy Jenks.

Why the loan spells didn't work out etc.

Any thoughts? Ta muchly.

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

Waxing chumps like candles since ‘75
Oct 4, 2003
I have some Forest Green Rover supporting cousins and they are interested in knowing more about Teddy Jenks.

Why the loan spells didn't work out etc.

Any thoughts? Ta muchly.
Not sure if they didn’t work out exactly. He was 19 when he joined Aberdeen on loan and did ok but as expected at that age he was very much a player coming off the bench for experience.

Last season at Crawley he started 12 of the 18 league games he was involved in and finally looked like he was holding down a starting role when he injured his hamstring and missed most of the second half of the season.

BNthree

Plastic JCL
Sep 14, 2016
WeHo
Todd Miller has the Cucurella hair doesn’t he? Always thought he looked decent when I went to watch the U21s so surprised he is released.

essbee1

Jun 25, 2014
Not sure if they didn’t work out exactly. He was 19 when he joined Aberdeen on loan and did ok but as expected at that age he was very much a player coming off the bench for experience.

Last season at Crawley he started 12 of the 18 league games he was involved in and finally looked like he was holding down a starting role when he injured his hamstring and missed most of the second half of the season.
Thanks Joey.

AZ Gull

@SeagullsAcademy Threads: @bhafcacademy
Oct 14, 2003
Chandler, AZ
Forward Ben Wilson (just released by Albion) has signed for Northern Irish side Cliftonville (where goalkeeper Fynn Talley went on loan for the first half of last season):-

AZ Gull

@SeagullsAcademy Threads: @bhafcacademy
Oct 14, 2003
Chandler, AZ
Former Albion scholar/young pro Stefan Vukoje, who left the club in the summer of 2021 and signed for Romanian Liga II side SSU Politehnica in February 2022, is the trilaist who scored Eastbourne Borough's winning goal in their friendly against Aldershot Town last Saturday. I haven't seen him announced officially as a Sports' signing yet so I assume he is still on trial (Mark Beard, of course, managed him with the Albion U-18s).

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Scotland U21 international Marc Leonard will sign fresh terms with English Premier League club Brighton this summer.​
The youngster started his career at Rangers as a kid before moving to Hearts to continue his development. Leonard was then spotted by the Seagulls in 2018 and was subsequently signed to their academy setup. He made his professional debut for the club in 2021 against Cardiff City in the EFL Cup before being named in a Premier League squad for the first time four months later.​

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here