Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] The 2022-2023 Loanee Tracker Thread

holybanjo

Mar 2, 2020
Hastings
This season's loanees, for reference (latest updates in red): updated as per 1st. Feb. 2023.

James Beadle - on loan at Crewe Alexandra (League 2);
Aaron Connolly - on loan at Venezia (Serie B); now at Hull City (Championship);
James Furlong - in loan at Motherwell (Scottish Premiership):
Teddy Jenks - on loan at Crawley (League 2);
Reda Khadra - on loan at Sheffield United; now at Birmingham City (Championship);
Marc Leonard - on loan at Northampton Town (League 2);
Todd Miller - on loan at Doncaster Rovers (League 2, from January 2023)
Taylor Richards - on loan at QPR (Championship);
Haydon Roberts - on loan at Derby (League 1);
Carl Rushworth - on loan at Lincoln City (League 1);
Jack Spong - on loan at Crawley (League 2);
Lorent Tolaj - on loan at Salford City (League 2); now at Dundee (Scottish Championship from Jan. 2023);
Ed Turns - on loan at Leyton Orient (League 2, from January 2023)

Jensen Weir - on loan at Morecambe (League 1);

Simon Adingra - on loan at USG (Belgian First Division A);
Steven Alzate - on loan at Standard Liege (Belgian First Division A);
Michal Karbownik - on loan at Fortuna Dusseldorf (Bundesliga 2);
Kacper Kozlowski - on loan at Vitesse Arnhem (Eredivise);
Kjel Scherpen - on loan at Vitesse Arnhem (Eredivise);
Abdallah Sima - on loan at Angers (Ligue 1) where he joins up with former Brighton youngster Ulrich Ella;
Antef Tsoungui - on loan at Lommel (Belgian 2nd. division, from Jan. 2023); - now apparantly left. Details not known.
Andi Zeqiri - on loan at Basel (Swiss Super League).
So this is the reason you have taken such issue with my poll? I admire the work you have done here. Had no intention of spoiling your party!

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
Read the other day that Zequiri's loan was with an obligation to buy, if he played over a certain amount, and an option to buy if he played less, apparently he was used less than they otherwise would have to avoid triggering the obligation.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Read the other day that Zequiri's loan was with an obligation to buy, if he played over a certain amount, and an option to buy if he played less, apparently he was used less than they otherwise would have to avoid triggering the obligation.
That kinda says a lot and nothing at the same time! Can see that he needs to play regularly - but I don't think that would be with Brighton, TBH. I wonder what the financial implications are for Basel - I don't think we'd be asking fr a huge amount for him.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Most of our UK based loanees will presumably be back home again now - but Furlong still has a job to do at Motherwell. Starting at LWB again, increasingly appreciated by the 'Well fans as the season progresses. Alex Cochrane had a successful SPL loan and stayed there - will Furlong follow him, or have we got higher aspirations for him?

Out of interest, does anybody know the answer to this - our loanees to the EFL were loaned until the end of the season, so now their season has ended are they eligible to play for their parent club if we need them? De Zerbi has mentioned how good our youth set up is, and injuries may not have finished with us yet!

Rookie

Greetings
Feb 8, 2005
Most of our UK based loanees will presumably be back home again now - but Furlong still has a job to do at Motherwell. Starting at LWB again, increasingly appreciated by the 'Well fans as the season progresses. Alex Cochrane had a successful SPL loan and stayed there - will Furlong follow him, or have we got higher aspirations for him?

Out of interest, does anybody know the answer to this - our loanees to the EFL were loaned until the end of the season, so now their season has ended are they eligible to play for their parent club if we need them? De Zerbi has mentioned how good our youth set up is, and injuries may not have finished with us yet!
No they cannot play for us, the will be registered with their loan club until the official end of the season

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley

I think ordinarily, any loan player returning, would be excluded by not being named in the PL Squad that clubs have to submit at the end of each transfer window. The grey area is U21 loaned out players, I believe you are still able to field any U21 registered to the club, but not sure if returned from loan U21's are treated differently?

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
No they cannot play for us, the will be registered with their loan club until the official end of the season
I believe loans can be cancelled by mutual consent?

albionalex

Feb 26, 2009
Toronto

Sounds like it's unlikely he'll be staying there.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
The last of our UK based loanees finished his stint today - a very successful loan in the SPL for James Furlong. The day after he joined Motherwell on January deadline day, he came on as a half time sub for Motherwell. Since then, he's started all of 'Well's 14 remaining SPL matches, playing the full 90 in all but three (and the earliest he was subbed in those three was 80 minutes) - almost 1300 minutes of 1st. team football.
He signed off today with an 82nd. minute assist for the winning goal against Dundee United. A decent loan that - wonder what next season will hold for him.

jcdenton08

Enemy of the People
NSC Patron
Oct 17, 2008
The last of our UK based loanees finished his stint today - a very successful loan in the SPL for James Furlong. The day after he joined Motherwell on January deadline day, he came on as a half time sub for Motherwell. Since then, he's started all of 'Well's 14 remaining SPL matches, playing the full 90 in all but three (and the earliest he was subbed in those three was 80 minutes) - almost 1300 minutes of 1st. team football.
He signed off today with an 82nd. minute assist for the winning goal against Dundee United. A decent loan that - wonder what next season will hold for him.
I’ve seen a lot of Furlong in the second string and am impressed with his progress on loan. However, I’ve not seen anything to suggest he would threaten our bench on his return. When is his contract up?

AZ Gull

@SeagullsAcademy Threads: @bhafcacademy
Oct 14, 2003
Chandler, AZ
I’ve seen a lot of Furlong in the second string and am impressed with his progress on loan. However, I’ve not seen anything to suggest he would threaten our bench on his return. When is his contract up?
At the end of June (no idea if we have an option, although we probably do).

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
Quite an interesting summary:

Good read. Maybe our hopes for Adingra are a little on the high side?

Rushworth sounds like a real talent. It’s a tricky one with developing keepers as there’s not really much benefit in bringing them back into the squad until the manager believes that they’re ready to start as number 1 keeper.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Quite an interesting summary:

Great find, Hihedi - a superb piece of work by 'Owen'. Pity he didn't link to some of the correspondence he had with fans of other teams - and maybe shared them on a thread where people would be interested! Splendid read, nonetheless, and pretty much tallies with what I've picked up from the fans' forums i've been browsing.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
As AZ Gull has said, his contract is up at the end of June. I'm sure I've read somewhere (but can't find it) that his contract has been extended - or a new one signed - which would be excellent news. After a very successful half season in the SPL, a successful year in League 1 - or even The Championship - would generate a decent sell-on price (as long as he was still on contract with us, of course) even if he doesn't come through to the Albion first team squad.

Last edited:

AZ Gull

@SeagullsAcademy Threads: @bhafcacademy
Oct 14, 2003
Chandler, AZ
As AZ Gull has said, his contract is up at the end of June. I'm sure I've read somewhere (but can't find it) that his contract has been extended - or a new one signed - which would be excellent news. After a very successful half season in the SPL, a successful year in League 1 - or even The Championship - would generate a decent sell-on price (as long as he was still on contract with us, of course) even if he doesn't come through to the Albion first team squad.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here